View Poll Results: (01/08) Who would you like to see as the next President of the United States?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Biden

0 0%
  • Hillary Clinton

5 11.36%
  • Chris Dodd

0 0%
  • John Edwards

4 9.09%
  • Rudy Giuliani

3 6.82%
  • Mike Huckabee

5 11.36%
  • John McCain

2 4.55%
  • Barack Obama

7 15.91%
  • Ron Paul

3 6.82%
  • Bill Richardson

1 2.27%
  • Mitt Romney

1 2.27%
  • Fred Thompson

6 13.64%
  • Other Democrat candidate

1 2.27%
  • Other Republican candidate

0 0%
  • Other independent or third party candidate

3 6.82%
  • Not sure

2 4.55%
  • No preference

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (01/08) Who would you like to see as the next President of the United States?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

(01/08) Who would you like to see as the next President of the United States?

The results of Optiboard's December's Straw Poll are listed here:http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26262

Ron Paul and Hillary Clinton led the pack (24%, 5 votes) followed by Barack Obama in third (14%, 3 votes) and Mike Huckabee in fourth (10%, 2 votes). Joe Biden, John Edwards, Mitt Romney, and Fred Thompson all tied for fifth (5%, 1 vote). No one voted for Rudy Giuliani, Dennis Kucinich, John McCain, or Bill Richardson.

Thanks to all those who voted!

To determine which candidates should be listed, I reviewed the results of the most recent American Research Group polls for each of the two major parties and put down the top six from each party. This poll closes at the end of December and I may open a new one in January.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have finally made an initial decision (subject to change, void where prohibited). John Edwards espouses the values that I hold dear. He endorses ideas that will help THE MIDDLE CLASS. Let's face it - the rich are in a good position these days (thanks in part to Bush's tax cuts), and there are already programs in place that help the poor. It's we middle class folks who are getting pinched. The pinch is mainly coming from the high costs of energy and health care. Edwards has come out strongly that he will side with the middle class in this conflict. He has my vote.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    I have finally made an initial decision (subject to change, void where prohibited). John Edwards espouses the values that I hold dear. He endorses ideas that will help THE MIDDLE CLASS. Let's face it - the rich are in a good position these days (thanks in part to Bush's tax cuts), and there are already programs in place that help the poor. It's we middle class folks who are getting pinched. The pinch is mainly coming from the high costs of energy and health care. Edwards has come out strongly that he will side with the middle class in this conflict. He has my vote.
    Spex, I'm glad to see at least one person here has really been listening to what Edwards has to say.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    Spex, I'm glad to see at least one person here has really been listening to what Edwards has to say.
    "Please, God... anyone but Hillary."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The one on the Democratic ticket I would not be happy with would be Hillary. I would still consider a better alternative to pretty much any of the Republicans, but I could not actively support her. All of the others I can actively support and mean it.

On the Republican side, there is only one I could be happy with and that is McCain. Despite becoming a “flipflopper” after Bush beat his butt in 2000, I still have some respect for him.
    www.opticaljedi.com

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The one on the Democratic ticket I would not be happy with would be Hillary. I would still consider a better alternative to pretty much any of the Republicans, but I could not actively support her. All of the others I can actively support and mean it.

On the Republican side, there is only one I could be happy with and that is McCain. Despite becoming a “flipflopper” after Bush beat his butt in 2000, I still have some respect for him.
    How about Rudy? Isn't he a Democrat?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, Rudy is way too Authoritarian to be a Dem. He ruled New York with an Iron Fist. He has some big polarizing issues where he has a “liberal” bent but we all know they are issues that the President has no power over (abortion, etc.) Those are just the hot button issues used by radical groups to polarize the voting populace on matters that have very little bearing on the day to day of presidential politics but sound good as sound bites.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gen: Tommy Franks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    But he is about as far from Middle Class as you can get isn't he? And a litgation attorney to boot. Is he just saying what he thinks you want to hear? Can you trust what you are hearing?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would voting for myself seem pompous?

:drop:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Update: As of tonight, Joe Biden and Chris Dodd are officially out of the race.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    But he is about as far from Middle Class as you can get isn't he? And a litgation attorney to boot. Is he just saying what he thinks you want to hear? Can you trust what you are hearing?
    I don't think that because someone is considered to be a certain "type" of person that they can't support the cause of a different "type" of person. Take, for instance, the "Freedom Riders" - white northerners working to improve the civil rights of southern black folk.

Trust? I don't trust any of them. I think there should be a law that candidates should have to keep their campaign promises, or be subject to civil suit, or impeachment - some kind of penalty. Edwards' public service record indicates that his words match his actions, in the respect that he is the champion of the middle class.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    He is well off because of his success as a lawyer. He comes from lower middle class roots. His parents still live in the same home he was raised in. His litigation was against corporations who abused their customers and workers. All of his litigation was in the support and protection of the middle class.

Look at his history and you will see he has always fought for middle class and middle class values.
    www.opticaljedi.com

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Any predictions for tonight? Most polls for the New Hampshire Democratic primary are predicting the order to be Obama (~37%), Clinton (~28%), Edwards (~19%), Richardson (~6%), and Kucinich (~3%). For the Republican primary, McCain (~32%), Romney (~30%), Huckabee (~11%), Giuliani (~9%), Paul (~8%), Thompson (~3%), and Hunter (~1%). From what I've read, a lot will be determined by the independent voters. Obama should win, but it could be by an even bigger margin if the independents go with him. McCain success probably means disappointment for Paul, or vice versa, since both are counting on those same independent voters.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
    Any predictions for tonight? Most polls for the New Hampshire Democratic primary are predicting the order to be Obama (~37%), Clinton (~28%), Edwards (~19%), Richardson (~6%), and Kucinich (~3%). For the Republican primary, McCain (~32%), Romney (~30%), Huckabee (~11%), Giuliani (~9%), Paul (~8%), Thompson (~3%), and Hunter (~1%). From what I've read, a lot will be determined by the independent voters. Obama should win, but it could be by an even bigger margin if the independents go with him. McCain success probably means disappointment for Paul, or vice versa, since both are counting on those same independent voters.
    First votes in from Dixville Notch...

Giuliani 1, McCain 4, Romney 2
    Edwards 2, Richardson 1, Obama 7

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    First votes in from Dixville Notch...

Giuliani 1, McCain 4, Romney 2
    Edwards 2, Richardson 1, Obama 7
    Votes in from Hart's Location...
    McCain 6, Huckabee 5, Paul 4, Romney 1
    Obama 9, Clinton 3, Edwards 1

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I realize that these polls aren't representative or statistically significant, but the figures concerning Hillarly Clinton do appear to mirror nationwide polls in that she seems to have slipped over the past few months...

August - 2 votes, 8%, 4th place (tied)
    September - 3 votes, 11%, 4th place
    October - 9 votes, 26%, 1st place
    November - 8 votes, 27%, 1st place
    December - 5 votes, 24%, 1st place (tied)
    January - 0 votes, 0%, 8th place (tied)

Have the eight or nine people who voted for her in October and November not yet voted, or have they changed their minds? Anyone willing to confess that they've changed their minds regarding Clinton or any of the other candidates? Other trends: I've noticed that Edward's and Thompson's support here has been relatively steady and that Huckabee's totals seem to have moved up.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not part of that Clinton segment. She has been my least favorite candidate from Day 1.

I must confess, however, to being a constant supporter of both Edwards and Obama. I have contributed to both campaigns. My ideal ticket would probably be Edwards/Obama and not Obama/Edwards, but will be happy if I could get both in either order.

I like the way Obama inspires and the hope he engenders. I also like the face he will present to the rest of the world. I’m not sure anyone else could do more to mend the wounds we’ve created in the international community. In particular with the Muslim world.

However, when it comes to policy, I don’t know that anyone could improve the fate of the Middle Class better than Edwards, and so from a domestic standpoint he is by far my favorite candidate. Most of Obama’s economic policies seem to be slightly watered down versions of what Edwards has planned for the US. I think the two of them together could be the ultimate punch to really fix the problems of the US right now.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Must say democrats will have a hard choice if we get a democrat on each ticket Obama and McCain.
    I can tell you if it's this way Republicans won't even bother to vote.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny, cause it seems to me that McCain is a war supporting, fiscal conservative. Sounds kinda like a Republican to me….unless you are referring to “Christian Conservative”, cause that he is not, and that is why you might get some Dems to vote for him, though his behavior over the last 7 years would make it hard for many Democrats to really support him.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually think The Manchurian Candidate is a communist in liberal republican clothing and that is thin.
    See: McCain~ Kennedy
    See: McCain~Finnegol

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Update: As of tonight, Joe Biden and Chris Dodd are officially out of the race.
    Update: Although his campaign has "no comment", it is being reported that Bill Richardson will officially drop out tomorrow.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dear God, if you won't let my guy win, then please let there be a brokered convention!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Funny, cause it seems to me that McCain is a war supporting, fiscal conservative. Sounds kinda like a Republican to me….unless you are referring to “Christian Conservative”, cause that he is not, and that is why you might get some Dems to vote for him, though his behavior over the last 7 years would make it hard for many Democrats to really support him.
    I really don't understand McCain's recent resurgence. I can't figure out why he is appealing to independent voters nor can I figure out why he is appealing to those voting in the Republican primaries who "somewhat" or "strongly" disapprove of the Bush administration or the war in Iraq. I would think Giuliani, rather than McCain, would be more appealing to moderates or those leaning left. Similarly, I would think Thompson, who is floundering, would the most appealing to those leaning right. I don't get it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wyclef

I think Wyclef Jean is running also. :bbg:
    ...the son of a farmer for president.

Thread Information