View Poll Results: (01/08) Who would you like to see as the next President of the United States?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Biden

0 0%
  • Hillary Clinton

5 11.36%
  • Chris Dodd

0 0%
  • John Edwards

4 9.09%
  • Rudy Giuliani

3 6.82%
  • Mike Huckabee

5 11.36%
  • John McCain

2 4.55%
  • Barack Obama

7 15.91%
  • Ron Paul

3 6.82%
  • Bill Richardson

1 2.27%
  • Mitt Romney

1 2.27%
  • Fred Thompson

6 13.64%
  • Other Democrat candidate

1 2.27%
  • Other Republican candidate

0 0%
  • Other independent or third party candidate

3 6.82%
  • Not sure

2 4.55%
  • No preference

1 2.27%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: (01/08) Who would you like to see as the next President of the United States?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rush is a bloviating idiot. I’m sad to say I saw him get his start on Sacramento radio and even saw him speak at Arco Arena in front of thousands of dittoheads. I truly felt like a stranger in a strange land that evening and I was still in high school.

I think Rush is right in that many will not feel the need or desire to come out and support the nominee whomever it ends up being, but I think he’s completely wrong about it destroying the Republican party….quite the contrary, I think it will revitalize and refresh the party. Not since the era of Nixon has there been a true honest to goodness “conservative candidate” Rush and his ilk have tried to redefine what a conservative is, and to their great detriment I’m afraid. They were able to power grab for a couple of decades now but I think even through all of it, there were many conservatives who voted that way just because they didn’t like the Democratic alternative. The Neo-cons have ridden their horse into the ground and now it’s time for a Goldwater-esque true conservative to take the reigns back on the party.

It will take an election cycle or two for it come around, but I am hopeful that this will leave the country in better shape after an ugly and messy “divorce” from an idealogy that simply does not work and never has worked. It’s time to get back to healing….and that’s why I can be happy with Obama even though I prefer Edwards. He does have that ability to unite and heal.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    How does your candidate fare on the Truth-O-Meter?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not surprised by the results of the truth o meter. Edwards is telling more truth than not...maybe that's why he's not winning. We seem to like candidates that lie boldly to us.
    www.opticaljedi.com

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know there are differences of opinion on what the role of the federal government should be, but this is for those who still believe the Republican Party is for smaller government...
    "It used to be the policy of the Republican Party to get rid of the Department of Education. We finally get in charge and a chance to do something, so we double the size of the Department of Education."

Ron Paul on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007 in a debate in Johnston, Iowa.

So true, he's understating it
    http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/239/

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "I have never asked for nor received a single earmark or pork barrel project for my state."

John McCain on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 in a debate in Manchester, N.H.

There are a few blips on the record
    http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/273/

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "While I was working on those streets watching those folks see their jobs shift overseas, you were a corporate lawyer sitting on the board at Wal-Mart."

Barack Obama on Monday, January 21st, 2008 in a debate in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Hillary went the Wal-Mart way
    http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/303/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that is an awesome link for sure.
    www.opticaljedi.com

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Any Thompson supporters care to share their new pick? Will you go with McCain if Thompson gives his blessing?
    I was with Fred, but if Thompson gives his blessing to McCain, the only effect on me will be to lessen my respect for former Senator Thompson.

Regarding the destruction of the Republican party, being left with choices who do not represent the core beliefs of conservatism will not "revitalize and refresh" the party. If you want a party that isn't conservative, there's already one out there- as a conservative, it would have been nice if one of the conservative candidates had survived the first round of the primaries.

In the end, this election is already over for me- there's not a fiscal conservative left among the entire field on either side of the aisle (amazing considering the financial shape of this country).

The only remaining curiosity is to see if this country is really capable of electing Sen. Clinton. I think it comes down to this- is former President Clinton so well liked by all the liberals and moderates who voted for him that the thought of having him as first man is enough to place his ill-tempered wife into the White House? If Hillary wins the nomination, this is an election where you're either voting for or against Hillary- the person who happens to be the GOP nominee is just a formality.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    If Hillary wins the nomination, this is an election where you're either voting for or against Hillary- the person who happens to be the GOP nominee is just a formality.
    If Fred really wanted the Republican nomination, he could have had it. Despite the blather of "change", it's looking more and more likely that the general election will again come down to what most people consider "picking the lesser of two evils". Personally, I won't care what happens... the people of this country will get what they deserve either way.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
    As is Fred Thompson.
    ...and Dennis Kucinich.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there any real difference in Hillary, McCain and Juliani? Other than perhaps a degree of politness in the presentation?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Despite the blather of "change", it's looking more and more likely that the general election will again come down to what most people consider "picking the lesser of two evils". Personally, I won't care what happens ... the people of this country will get what they deserve either way.
    Post says the location is "United States". Wonder where this poster will be located after the election ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-24-2008 at 09:11 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Post says the location is "United States". Wonder where this poster will be located after the election ...
    Are you wondering or are you asking?

Occupation
    Re: 1968

Joking, to be candid. This isn't an endorsement particularly, but regardless of whomever any of us may like, I think this dude is going to be the next President:

"Show me the money ..."

Next up: errant Bush bashers in the crosshairs again ...

Last edited by rinselberg; 01-28-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    Rush is a bloviating idiot.
    Yeah, it's probably not a very good idea to get your politics from drug addicts.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    ...and Dennis Kucinich.
    Expect John Edwards to make his announcement in 30 minutes. Any bets on when we will hear from Rudy Giuliani?

Occupation
    McCain-Giuliani... am I the first one to post it?

I didn't care for the way that Chuck Norris came out publicly "ragging" on John McCain as too old to make a good choice for president... but I actually wonder how McCain would fare in office if the military conflict situation(s) overseas do not improve or get even "hairier"... I guess Giuliani doesn't come across as "that old" but there's the near baldness and eyeglasses... Is this going to be 2009's version of "The Bucket List"... or "No Country for Old Men"..?

What' s making the 'berg (almost) lose his cool? This time it's not Global Warming skeptics, but OptiBoard posters that blame the residents of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for every world problem under the sun. Join the conversation at The Last Laugh ... and help the 'berg take a bite out of baloney.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-01-2008 at 04:54 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’m sad, but not terribly surprised about Edwards’ announcement. I had hoped he would make an endorsement, though I suspect that the lion’s share of his supporters will naturally want to move over to Obama (as I will).

Now it’s time for me to get fully on board with my first choice among the two available options….Obama/Edwards 08
    www.opticaljedi.com

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Any bets on when we will hear from Rudy Giuliani?
    Giuliani endorses McCain. Could CNN have found a more Godfather-esque photo?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    I’m sad, but not terribly surprised about Edwards’ announcement. I had hoped he would make an endorsement, though I suspect that the lion’s share of his supporters will naturally want to move over to Obama (as I will).

Now it’s time for me to get fully on board with my first choice among the two available options….Obama/Edwards 08
    I can't see him endorsing Clinton, but I wonder if he'll hold his tongue on an endorsement until after Super Tuesday.

Thread Information