Thread: Have any vintage AO gold filled

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have any vintage AO gold filled

I'm looking for a an AO frame from the mid 60s. Here's what I think I know.

size 46/24, 5-3/4" in addition to the size, it has 01/10 12K GF on the bridge. Couldn't find a model number for sure, but the patient is sure it's called an Influential in redwood color.

Another option may be the AO Surmount in a 46/22, 5-3/4", also 12K GF and Redwood color.

Any chance? Anyone know where I should look? I already tried ebay.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the frame a combination? I kinda remember the surmont being one. Try this guy, he has books back a long time.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26151
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 12-20-2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add reference to other thread

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Is the frame a combination? I kinda remember the surmont being one.
    Yes it is a combination. Zyl on top

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have patient's bring in vintage AO & B&L, Titmus and the like for lenses often. They seem to be getting them at local flea markets. I would go there and stock up if I could get off to go. Many of these are 18 K, not just gold filled or plated. Appearently price runs from $5 to $20.

Try local flee markets if you can get to them.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try a fellow Optiboarder=Walleye. He has a boatload of stuff, treasures, and forgotten frames laying around!

Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See if Anglo American has anything that will fit the bill. I use a surface lab that gets us 10kgf artcraft frames when we need them.

Bad address email on file abocandy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

AO Frame

Shuron

Occupation
    Optometrist

Have any vintage AO gold filled

The frame you are looking for is called the AO "Confidential" (plastic combination)AO also made the "Sirmont" (plastic combination) and the "Deluxe Sirmont"(aluminum combination) I am looking at my FRAMES Catalog number 3 Winter 1968-1969!! I have available a very similar Shuron "Mainstay" 46-20 gray plastic tops with w/g frame in 1/10 12 k and silver temples. I am asking $50.00 for this classic frame. Or Art Craft still makes the "Clubman" but the quality is not as good as the frames from the 60's. All the combination frames from the 50's, 60' were 1/10 12 k gold filled. Walter

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    The frame you are looking for is called the AO "Confidential" (plastic combination)AO also made the "Sirmont" (plastic combination) Walter
    Thanks Walter. I am looking for the exact frame - because the "Patient" doesn't need new lenses. He just needs a new frame because this one fell apart. His lenses were new in 1968, and they still serve him well.:hammer:

This guy has been to the eye doctor a couple of times since then, but he stopped going because they just want to prescribe him new lenses. What a shame. Doctors these days just want to rip off the patient and pad their own wallets - and throw away perfectly good 40 yo lenses.

They probably also gave him some "sales babble" about needing a new frame because this one is discontinued, can't get parts, what if it breaks, etc.

Just for kicks, I asked him to read something for me. I wanted to see how he did it - even though I knew. Guess his Rx?:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by abocandy View Post
    Shuron
    Is shuron a company? Are they exact matches to the vintage frames?

Are the artcraft frames exact matches?

thanks for all your help.

Occupation
    Optometrist

have any vintage AO gold filled

Hi Marc,
    Shuron is based in Florida and originated in Rochester, NY. They have been around for over a century! They still make the Ronsir combination frame. Google them for their website. The Artcraft Clubman is also still made and is the same frame made in the 50's etc. The quality is not nearly as good as the gold filled version.
    I think you were kidding about the 40 year old lenses and the doctors just trying to rip off the patient. If not, those lenses he is wearing are probably glass and not impact resistant. He is at risk for a serious eye injury if that is the case.
    I will check a source I have that may have that exact frame!!
    Happy holiday Walter

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    I think you were kidding about the 40 year old lenses and the doctors just trying to rip off the patient. If not, those lenses he is wearing are probably glass and not impact resistant. He is at risk for a serious eye injury if that is the case.
    I will check a source I have that may have that exact frame!!
    Happy holiday Walter
    True - lenses are 40 yo, according to our AO shopper.

That was a Scarsastic quote about doctors trying to sell new lenses when they obviously aren't needed. Bifocal, we don't need no stinkin bifocal.:hammer:

Of course they are glass. Any other material would have decomposed due to sunlight and body oil by now.

Do you want to try to convince him that his lenses aren't safe after he has been safe for 40 yrs? You sound like one of those "salesmen" doctors.:bbg:

Do you want to precribe him new lenses? Could he possibly get used to any different Rx after 40 years?

Thanks for checking on the AO Sirmont or Confidential.
    Last edited by MarcE; 12-25-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be very careful with some of these frames. Many of those mentioned have two screws on the upper posterior side that holds on the trim. If you feel ambitious and decide to take one apart an clean or service it, you may find that the plastic has shrunken and you can no longer get these screws back in. Nothing can be done once this occurrs. You will just be sitting there fiddleing with it telling yourself you know it came out of there so it's go to fit if I do it right.
    It is possible to remove or replace the lens without removing the trim, if you have to fool with one, don't remove the trim.

Chip

Chip

Thread Information