Thread: Screws are back on RIMLESS frames : use TopClean to finish them properly

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Screws are back on RIMLESS frames : use TopClean to finish them properly

Screws are back on many rimless frames, because when properly used they are really the best way to ensure high quality, and durable mounting.

TopClean, is the only tool for an easy, secure and clean finishing of screws on rimless mounts. The result is perfect and immediate.

see products pages on www.dboptic.com

a demonstration video can be downloaded from : http://www.dboptic.fr/videos/TopClean_spot_med.wmv

If you are interested in this tool, for using or for reselling, please contact me.

Malek BOUSSALEM

DB OPTIC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top1.jpg   top2.jpg   top3.jpg   top4.jpg   top5.jpg  

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am interested. Can you post the price for us to see?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

TOPCLEAN price

Further to John's request...

We can ship you TopClean for a price starting at $650,00 plus shipment fee.

Malek

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by malekb View Post
    Further to John's request...

We can ship you TopClean for a price starting at $650,00 plus shipment fee.

Malek
    Just to clarify things, in France the comma replaces the decimal. So it is $650.

Just the number looked off with the comma. I know that is the correct way to do it there, but could scare people off here.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Right !!! the price is $650

Sorry for the mistake :)

Malek

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Okay, maybe I'm missing something. But when you cut off the end of a screw you're left with a roughed up mess (third pic). How do you stop that gizmo from moving off the end of the screw and messing up the back of the lens? (Pic. 4 looks well and good, but I don't see any brace or safety catch to stop it from moving off the screw.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Before the finishing operation, the screw has been tightened enough and thus will not move during the operation. After the operation because the screw surface has been machined, the nut is a bit locked. However, we still recommend to glue the nut on the screw with adequate glue (lenses compatible, like loctite 460), while tightening the screw, before finishing.

Malek

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't this the same tool as sold by AIT Industries here in the states?
    http://www.aitindustries.com/product...ian+Hand+Tools

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Yes it is the same tool as the one formerly sold by AIT. But we are DB OPTIC, the manufacturer, and we are at the end of our commercial relationship with AIT Industries.

Malek

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Will you take mine back?

I bought one of the originals and it is sitting in a drawer collecting dust. AIT was going to take it back a few times and kept forgetting to retrun my phone calls.
    It is like brand new.
    Craig

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I bought one of the originals and it is sitting in a drawer collecting dust. AIT was going to take it back a few times and kept forgetting to retrun my phone calls.
    It is like brand new.
    Craig

Craig,

Why don't you use it?

Johns
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Craig,

Why don't you use it?

Johns
    We had problems with the screws coming loose and we had to glue them anyway to try to help. We do many frames with a fixed post, so if you cut the post that short it makes it tough later if you need to make any changes. We prefer to cap nut on top of all the nuts and this provides more stability.

When we bought it I was under the impression I could leave enough for the cap nut. The idea of a clean cut bolt with exactly enough room for the cap nut was very appealing.
    Do you want to buy mine? I will sell it cheap!!
    Craig

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Hi all, hope you had a very very happy christmas.

Sorry for answering so late... this year end is very busy.

The principle of TopClean is to have a very flat finishing. The resulting thickness of the screw & nut is around 1mm. Thus on the one side, the screw & nut assembly does disturb too much in the angle of vision of the person wearing the glasses, and the other side is very easy to clean with a cloth.

Using a nut and a cap nut will result in around 5mm thickness... which is often disturbing for the client, and not very good loooking.

As already said, to glue the nut on the screw is still recommended if you do not want it to get loose.

Fixed post frames are not a problem : our recommendation is to use one or several washers to lengthen the "remaining" screw length for further use, if ever needed. These washers can provide 1mm for potential increased lense thickness and remain nearly invisible.

Finishing screws with topclean gives a really perfect result on your rimless mounts, in few seconds, and securely...

Malek

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please teach use how to use or buy it back!

Hi all, hope you had a very very happy christmas.

Sorry for answering so late... this year end is very busy.

The principle of TopClean is to have a very flat finishing. The resulting thickness of the screw & nut is around 1mm. Thus on the one side, the screw & nut assembly does disturb too much in the angle of vision of the person wearing the glasses, and the other side is very easy to clean with a cloth.

Using a nut and a cap nut will result in around 5mm thickness... which is often disturbing for the client, and not very good loooking.

As already said, to glue the nut on the screw is still recommended if you do not want it to get loose.

Fixed post frames are not a problem : our recommendation is to use one or several washers to lengthen the "remaining" screw length for further use, if ever needed. These washers can provide 1mm for potential increased lense thickness and remain nearly invisible.

Finishing screws with topclean gives a really perfect result on your rimless mounts, in few seconds, and securely...

Malek
    What is the retail price now? We would be very happy to get anything back on it; please let me know if you will buy it back....

Craig

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Craig,

We are for the moment in an intermediate situation discussing with distributors in the USA.

However, you still can get the tool shipped directly from the manufacturer here in France. The retail price in France for the kit is 480 €, currently corresponding to $700.
    This may hopefully decrease with the Euro/Dollar exchange rate. Meanwhile we will offer the shipment (but not the custom fees).

We accept to buy back the tool, as we do it in France, at the same price, but you will have to ship it back at your own expenses. Nobody ever ships it back in France.

Are you interested ?

Malek

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thanks for the service!

Craig,

We are for the moment in an intermediate situation discussing with distributors in the USA.

However, you still can get the tool shipped directly from the manufacturer here in France. The retail price in France for the kit is 480 €, currently corresponding to $700.
    This may hopefully decrease with the Euro/Dollar exchange rate. Meanwhile we will offer the shipment (but not the custom fees).

We accept to buy back the tool, as we do it in France, at the same price, but you will have to ship it back at your own expenses. Nobody ever ships it back in France.

Are you interested ?

Malek
    Please give me a place to send and it is on the way.....
    Thanks
    Craig

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting device. It does look like it gives the back of the nut a smooth look. Back in the 1980's when beveled glasses were popular, we did a lot of screw mounted rimless.

We used a piece of cardboard to cover the back of the lens except for the nut and used a small file to smooth the screw smooth to the nut. The finished look was very much like what your poduct produces. It wasn't quite as fast as this tool, but only took a couple of minutes per pair of glasses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Craig,

I am sorry, I did not understand you well.
    I can take back what I have sold, but obviously I cannot take back what I did not sell...

In your case you have purchased TopClean from AIT so I cannot take this one back. However, I will try to find with you the most appropriate solution to the situation, but without bothering everybody on the forum with that story. You can email me at malek.boussalem@dboptic.com, or call me at
    +33 6 86 45 22 95 (GMT +1 time)

Malek

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Happylady,

Filing is an alternative to topclean, but it is not easy on hard material, like stainless steel or titanium, and even if the result can look OK, it is never as perfect as what you get with TopClean. Moreover it requires several minutes of careful work while you only need seconds with TopClean.

Malek

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happylady,

Filing is an alternative to topclean, but it is not easy on hard material, like stainless steel or titanium, and even if the result can look OK, it is never as perfect as what you get with TopClean. Moreover it requires several minutes of careful work while you only need seconds with TopClean.

Malek
    Yes, the Topclean does look slightly better and and it seems faster. Ours did look nice, though. Much better then anyone elses we saw. Back in the 80's the screws weren't stainless or titanium and were easy to file smooth. I can't really say how hard todays screws would be to file smooth.

Thread Information