Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CSA Safety Eyewear ammendments

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

CSA Safety Eyewear ammendments

So, we just recently got word in the last few weeks that all safety eyewear now has to have permanent side shields. We received word from Levitt and today we heard from Hilco (On Guard). Does this mean that the 100 pairs of removable shields we have are gonna go in the garbage?
    Is this across the board? We have several safety contracts. Only one of them has mentioned a change to their contract.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Across the board from what I've heard. I'm not sure what kind of sideshields you have, but the Titmus lock system is acceptable instead of using the rivets, so you might still be able to use those. We've already had a few people complaining. Quite frankly I'm happy with this. It'll stop those people who chuck their sideshields out the minute they get their safetys and just wear them as dress glasses.

*edit

I think all the contracts are going to have to be updated. It's CSA standard now, and if the company is going against CSA standards.. why even have safety glasses? I know Levitt won't do any clipons anymore, and they're our main safety lab
    Last edited by AdmiralKnight; 12-14-2007 at 10:53 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We supply mostly Titmus with our largest contract. The new styles are really quite nice but the dudes at this placing are already taking the shields off. We have a removal tool for them but these guys are doing their own mod work. Many of them use their safeties as their regular pair as well.
    Doing safety contract work is one of the most annoying parts of my job.

And of course a lenscrafters question from me. We were never required to wear side shields there but we were required to wear safeties. Does this mean that they have to do shields now too?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To be technically considered CSA approved safety glasses, yes.

The T-Locks are actually pretty hard to take off, you have to either snap off the sideshield itself, or rip off the lock which scratches the hell out of the temple. I'm sure they'll find ways to take them off, they always do. I've been having a lot of people going with the SnakeWear line, it's a plastic frame, almost looks like a cross between a sports goggle and lab safety goggles. Go figure.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The locks are easy to take off with the tool from Levitt. Just a little pressure. I like that new safety with the orange and grey. It's a nice frame that I've sold to some med students. Our contract is supposed to be using it for electrical employees.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, it's easy for us, I mean for the people who want to use them as dress glasses. :P

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure you have observed that once the side sheilds are in place it is damn near impossible to adjust temples for either symetry or pantoscopic angle.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends. If you put the T-Locks on in such a way that the shields don't have any play, the only way you can do it is by taking the temples completely off and adjusting at the front, then putting them back on. Big pain in the *** for a $35 dispensing fee, but whatcha gonna do? If you leave some slack in the t-lock, it's easier, still hard, but definitely doable.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't know why they don't just send them with the T-locks not attached yet. They are easy enough to attach afterwards. :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably for liability on their end. If they're not attached, technically they haven't made you a pair of safety glasses, which is what they're being payed for.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Fair Point.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I spent five years working exclusively in PPE and in particular safety eyewear, (about 800 pairs a month.). Despite all the rules and regulations set forth by government regulatory agencies, insurance companies and plant safety managers the ultimate decision on wearing side shields rests exclusively with the employee. If he finds them undesirable off they come. And, if the employee wants to wear his safety glasses for dress wear there is nothing that you can do about it. From your point of view as a provider your main concern is covering your ***, performing to acceptable practices and meeting the conditions of any contract that may be in place.

I have never been in favor of regulating usage as in many cases it actually increases worker hazards. A case in point is the biotech and pharmaceutical worker. There is no distinction between the approved eyewear that they wear in the lab and a snagger in a foundry. So we have the scientist wearing industrial thickness lenses and perhaps side shields when the real hazard on the job is liquid splashes. It just doesn’t make sense. One set of standards can not optimize eye protection of all occupations. But, then again, I really don't think that worker protection is the main issue.

PS About a month after we started using T-Loc the manager of the tool room at one of my accounts gave me a great tool for removing them. He made it for himself and the plant employees who just hated the heavy things.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good post. That's basically the way I feel as well. If they don't want to wear them, they'll find a way to take them off. However, especially in the case of contracts, you have to make them to spec. What they do when they leave is up to them. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edKENdance: Maybe you can help me on something here. I could probably get a faster answer from Leavitt, but I like using the forum hehe. Any idea how this would work with people just getting new lenses in their safetys? Would we have to attach perminent shields to make the safety? Or would this be an exception because of when they purchased their frames?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    edKENdance: Maybe you can help me on something here. I could probably get a faster answer from Leavitt, but I like using the forum hehe. Any idea how this would work with people just getting new lenses in their safetys? Would we have to attach perminent shields to make the safety? Or would this be an exception because of when they purchased their frames?

There really should have been a lot more information rolled out with this.

Good question

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I'm sure you have observed that once the side sheilds are in place it is damn near impossible to adjust temples for either symetry or pantoscopic angle.

Chip
    Wouldn't you know it! Had a hell of a time dispensing a frame today because of those sideshields. Patient had a large head. Thought about this post for every second I was trying to accomplish getting his nose pads to sit correctly. :hammer:
    Last edited by edKENdance; 12-20-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: hosepads=nosepads

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, hosepads suck :(

Question though, how did the sideshields make it harder to adjust the nosepads?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Yeah, hosepads suck :(

Question though, how did the sideshields make it harder to adjust the nosepads?

Nosepads did not sit correctly because the shields kept the temples in a lot closer. Had to spread the temples like crazy to get these frames to sit on his nose correctly. And yes! In Canada we call them HOSEPADS!

Ku Lu Ku Ku!
    Ku Lu Ku Ku!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously, it's a pain in the butt, but next time just take the temples off. Like I said in my other post, it saves a lot of headaches (literally for the patient) when trying to work around the sideshields.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    As a CSA TC member, I can tell you that effective Dec. 1st, all safety eyewear manufactured after this date must have permanent side shield protection. Any safety eyewear made prior to that date will be grandfathered. In response to the 100 pairs of ss question, you can continue to use these for repairs on any eyewear that was manufactured prior to this date.
    Last edited by eyemanflying; 12-24-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks!

Have a Merry Festivus.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Okay, so apparently our office did not get the information (we need to be more informative here).

So ALL safety eyewear needs permanent side shields?

Or just no more temp side shields and if sides hields are requested they have to be permanent?

Occupation
    Correct, all Rx safety eyewear must now incorporate permanent side protection. If they are removable or after market temporary shields, they are not compliant with CSA Z94.3-07 and you may be personally liable in the event of an accident. I may add that copies of the standard are available for purchase at www.csa.ca

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Since we have you here now I have a question in regards to safety makings. Why are they necessary?

Occupation
    The frames are marked with Z87 (ANSI) or Z87-2 (ANSI approved for 2.0mm ct/et polycarbonate only) which are fine and recognized by CSA for use within Canada. CSA frame certification is in the makings once frame manufacturers submit their frames for testing. The optical lab must monogram lens in top temporal corners which is meant to show they are compliant. Also in relation, optical labs must now have certification from either CSA or third party certification body in order to manufacture CSA compliant safety glasses.
    Last edited by eyemanflying; 12-29-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Thread Information