Thread: Opinion on Sunglasses

Occupation
    Optometrist

Opinion on Sunglasses

We're looking for some lower priced, but descent quality sunglasses for our office. Primarily for younger patients, 16-30 yo. Aside from I-dealoptics Suntrends....

What have been your experience with the following lines of sunwear:
    Fly Girl
    Angel
    Dragon

Thanks.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Humphreys sunglasses. The same guys who make the ophthalmic line. Great price and great look.

Sorry that I did not comment on the lines mentioned, but have not dealt with them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Guess - it's lower priced than Angel (or about the same). Moves well. Good quality.

Problem w/ Angel is that they are soo big and wrappy. Can't hardly get an Rx in most of them.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Guess - it's lower priced than Angel (or about the same). Moves well. Good quality.

Problem w/ Angel is that they are soo big and wrappy. Can't hardly get an Rx in most of them.
    Ohh, I forgot about the Viva sunglass lines like Guess, Tommy, Gant, and such. Moves well, inexpensive, and good styles. Though, I still think Humphreys are more stylish.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Only problem is....
    I don't deal with Viva....
    Used to...
    But never again...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    We're looking for some lower priced, but descent quality sunglasses for our office. Primarily for younger patients, 16-30 yo. Aside from I-dealoptics Suntrends....

What have been your experience with the following lines of sunwear:
    Fly Girl
    Angel
    Dragon

Thanks.
    I'd look around the neighborhood and see what all the youngsters are wearing. The kids are very particular of the brand they wear. I can tell you around here it will vary from one high school to the next. The catholic school my kids went to was all SPY, the public school was Vonzipper and Smith. So, check it out real good first. They all go to the surf shop to buy them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of the Guess and Tommy suns aren't bad, but personally I'm partial to the Calvin Klein sun line. They're more than the Viva stuff (not by much), but much more fashonable. To me the Guess and Tommy stuff feel cheap. They feel like something you'ld get from a drug store for $10. I know the quality is higher than that, but that's how they feel. I don't get that from the CK stuff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What price range are you looking for?
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyefish View Post
    What price range are you looking for?
    Lines that retail for less than $100

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am having great success w/ Costa del Mar. You can get many of there styles that retail for $119-$139. Quality, service, and lenses are all good. $119. for Polarized is not bad and in my office kids/ parents have no problem going over the $100 price when the find out there lifetime Warranty. You can also usually sell up with mirrors. The only down side is they do not offer much in Poly. I have also been happy w/Julbo for the tween/teens. Reatail for about $30-$40 and feel and look good.

Hope this helps.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you looking for RX-only frames? Or are you looking to sell non-rx suns as well? Sometimes it's as easy as not buying the frames that come polarized. Saves a bit there, and you can lower the retail.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Are you looking for RX-only frames? Or are you looking to sell non-rx suns as well? Sometimes it's as easy as not buying the frames that come polarized. Saves a bit there, and you can lower the retail.
    Primarily, I'm looking for a line of sunwear that is predominantly ophthalmic. However, I also want some frames in the line that are non-rx.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Rose colored glasses.................

...Browsing through the latest issue of Life magazine, I was caught by a story about chickens, which have yellow eyes, being fitted with red contact lenses, which "make then eat less, lay more, and stop henpecking."

That's what it said. What Bob Anderson says is that, "once word of this gets around, rose-colored glasses are going to be the hottest Christmas gift from husbands to wives." :D

From Herb Caen's column, SF Chronicle (Dec 5, 1988):

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You hate Viva?

Only problem is....
    I don't deal with Viva....
    Used to...
    But never again...
    May we ask why?
    Bob Taylor

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ...Browsing through the latest issue of Life magazine, I was caught by a story about chickens, which have yellow eyes, being fitted with red contact lenses, which "make then eat less, lay more, and stop henpecking."

That's what it said. What Bob Anderson says is that, "once word of this gets around, rose-colored glasses are going to be the hottest Christmas gift from husbands to wives." :D

From Herb Caen's column, SF Chronicle (Dec 5, 1988):
    Yes, but most of us don't have naturally occuring yellow eyes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyefish View Post
    I am having great success w/ Costa del Mar. You can get many of there styles that retail for $119-$139.
    So was I until:
    1.) I realized that Cabela's , Sam' Club, B J's, Costco, Wal-Mart and Jimmy's Fish-Inn Shack carried them as well and did not adhere to the minimum "suggested retail" price as I did.
    2.) I realized that I became the areas Costa Del Mar try and shop..before you buy(from above said retailers!).
    3.) I realized that the majority of patients could care less who made their sunglasses, as long as they worked and were cheap as well!!!!

YMMV!

:bbg::cheers::bbg::cheers::bbg:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    May we ask why?
    Bob Taylor
    3 reasons:
    1. Their frames become discontinued really fast. Not to mention, they're lines are available at Walmart and JC Penney's.
    2. Poor discounts.
    3. Most important reason: My viva reps are horrible!
    Last edited by DrNeyecare; 12-16-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    So was I until:
    1.) I realized that Cabela's , Sam' Club, B J's, Costco, Wal-Mart and Jimmy's Fish-Inn Shack carried them as well and did not adhere to the minimum "suggested retail" price as I did.
    2.) I realized that I became the areas Costa Del Mar try and shop..before you buy(from above said retailers!).
    3.) I realized that the majority of patients could care less who made their sunglasses, as long as they worked and were cheap as well!!!!

YMMV!

:bbg::cheers::bbg::cheers::bbg:
    Those are two important points:
    1. To carry something that other "retail" chains cannot undercut you, ie Costa Del Mar at Sam's Club, and Bolle at Walmart.
    2. To carry a quality product that is relatively inexpensive to us, but is of high quality, and yet can still be sold at a high mark-up. That's why a line like I-dealoptics is so popular on this board. However, I'm trying to find other lines. Surely, I-dealoptics cannot be the only one out there...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    So was I until:

:bbg::cheers::bbg::bbg:

Amen Brother Fezz!! :cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rose Colored lenses

Actually about 40 years ago Phil Salvatorie did quite a bit of research on the psychological effects of color in lenses.
    Amoung other things he found:
    1) Rose or red colored actually do give people a brighter out look.
    2) Blue colored lenses depress people (odd this is the most popular contact lens color).
    3) Eventually his research let to the shades of pink/mauve to calm prisoners.

4) Tropical fish and plants die if completely deprived of ultra-violet light.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    2) Blue colored lenses depress people (odd this is the most popular contact lens color).
    Not so odd. You don't look through the color in a contact, so it wouldn't have the same depressing effects. Blue is one of the most popular colors out there in general too, so, again, not to surprising. :)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With the exception of those lenses with clear centers (I suppose this is what you use) you do look thorough the color in a contact lens. How much depends only on the amount of tint and thickness of the lens. Of course on dyed lenses (soft) thickness probably wouldn't matter.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE]
    3 reasons:
    1. Their frames become discontinued really fast. Not to mention, they're lines are available at Walmart and JC Penney's.
    2. Poor discounts.
    3. Most important reason: My viva reps are horrible![/quote4
    4) they own retail

Occupation
    3 reasons:
    2. Poor discounts.
    3. Most important reason: My viva reps are horrible!

Just my opinion on it. I do want to mention that the company has done a complete 180 in the past 4 years. I actually got rid of all of our stock, because the company was going no where. I have found that it has really revived.

1. I notice when frames do not move or if there is problem with the frames, that is when they get discontinued. I have to really give the company credit. They have made a few mistakes and owned up to them immediately. For instance, the magic clips with the nosepad magnetics. Interesting concept that had a major flaw. Was put into our store and the next time the rep came by he took them back (we did not have to ask, he volunteered).

Compared to an admired company like Adidas who sold us lemons that snapped on everyone and then continued to sell the exact same frame years later. I have to really respect Viva for that.

2. Poor discounts? Really? I get 22% Maybe they like me. I get a better discount from them than almost any other frame supplier. Thus, their frames cost me a lot less.

3. I got great reps. Unfortunately, a rep can really make or break a company.

4. Retail stores - Great point. It is a shame really.

Thread Information