I sent a letter to a 14yo parents to terminate the dr-patient relationship after she complained of numerous concussions from cheerleading, yet the parents refused dfe (dilation) at 3 differents times (exam and cl fu's).

Well, the RN mom and the Pharmacist dad sent a letter back stating how they have the right to refuse care and that refusal should not affect continuity of care (they used some former lawsuit or some law not in the state optometric law book).

Has anyone ever heard of this??? They still want to keep coming to the practice to see my husband, but I think that's crap. It's not like we're the only optometrists around.

They seem to think that my liability is lessened by them saying no to dilation, but when there is a RD, I know the first thing any OMD is gonna say looking at my records was that I should have dilated.

If refusing to see a patient becasue they refuse your professional advice is illegal or unethical, what's the point of even being able to terminate the doctir-patient relationship??

The best thing is they made a huge stink when the closest CL trials that I had were the correct rx in one eye and a .25 less minus for the other eye (they needed what was best for her then.... 20/20-- in one eye, 20/20 in the other!!- big whoop!)