Thread: Are there any other opticians out there that visit homes and office...

Bad address email on file

Are there any other opticians out there that visit homes and office...

I am trying to form a nation-wide network of opticians who visit homes and businesses... if interested e-mail me at optibuyclub@hotmail.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has been tried a number of times in the past, by some opticians, but on a nationwide level i dont remember it being very successful. Probably one reason is you cant supply an eyue exam so they still have to go somewhere else for that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do go the the homes of some of my clients who have low vision. Most, however, seem to prefer to come to the store.

I do sometimes dispense at businesses as a matter of service and convenience. Again, however, most people prefer to come here on their own time. At work, they cannot always take time away from their work or clients to take care of personal business. And if they are in the store, it gives them a chance to browse around some more and even generate more multiple sales.

Originally posted by harry a saake
    This has been tried a number of times in the past, by some opticians, but on a nationwide level i dont remember it being very successful. Probably one reason is you cant supply an eyue exam so they still have to go somewhere else for that.
    you can supply a listing of optometrists or opthamologists that have a set negotiated price for exam...

the only way that this will work is if enough opticians join...

probably about a minimum of 100...

can you imagine the buying power of 100 opticians

Originally posted by Traci
    I do go the the homes of some of my clients who have low vision. Most, however, seem to prefer to come to the store.

I do sometimes dispense at businesses as a matter of service and convenience. Again, however, most people prefer to come here on their own time. At work, they cannot always take time away from their work or clients to take care of personal business. And if they are in the store, it gives them a chance to browse around some more and even generate more multiple sales.
    you can avoid some problems by schedueling appointments and selling a puchasing plan to an entire company...

as far as having a retail location, i think we can be more competitive by keeping costs at a minimum and this also gives us more time for the people we love...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My first business venture as an independant optician was a mobile optical service. I continue to service contracts with 24 nursing facilities within a 50 mile radius of my shop and make house calls once a week.

One of the issues I didn't find addressed in previous posts is professional liability insurance. Before walking through the doors of another business many places will require proof of your professional liability insurance or a binder listing them as a certificate holder.

Most business insurance policies limit coverage to on premise occurances. Therefore excluding coverage for off premise business activity. I therefore operate my mobile optical service under a different name and have a separate insurance policy for liability coverage.

I am assuming your network idea is for independant opticians which will remove them from other fidicuary responsibilities of their full time employer. Therefore, these folks must make a substantial investment in insurance, tools, and inventory before making a dime and no guarantee that their phone will ring enough to cover their investment.

There are some e-eyecare websites offering to pay opticians fitting and dispensing fees for their services. If this is what you have in mind perhaps you may wish to contact them to avail your services as an optician in your area.

My two pennies
    Kevin

response

Originally posted by PAkev
    My first business venture as an independant optician was a mobile optical service. I continue to service contracts with 24 nursing facilities within a 50 mile radius of my shop and make house calls once a week.

One of the issues I didn't find addressed in previous posts is professional liability insurance. Before walking through the doors of another business many places will require proof of your professional liability insurance or a binder listing them as a certificate holder.

Most business insurance policies limit coverage to on premise occurances. Therefore excluding coverage for off premise business activity. I therefore operate my mobile optical service under a different name and have a separate insurance policy for liability coverage.

I am assuming your network idea is for independant opticians which will remove them from other fidicuary responsibilities of their full time employer. Therefore, these folks must make a substantial investment in insurance, tools, and inventory before making a dime and no guarantee that their phone will ring enough to cover their investment.

There are some e-eyecare websites offering to pay opticians fitting and dispensing fees for their services. If this is what you have in mind perhaps you may wish to contact them to avail your services as an optician in your area.

My two pennies
    Kevin

thank you for your response, you brought up some very good questions

1. Insurance

opticians will not have to buy anthing until a contract of at least 500 people join, with that the insurance will be taken care of...

a frame bag with midrange frames and some discontinued frames in the mix...
    can be designed for type of area...

I would like to find out more about your websites you have found, that would be a great help...

I would like to make a statement about this idea...

This is not a completed plan... it is an Idea of mine that I think can really work... if I can find enough opticians that are willing to do this I think we can compete with the chains and other independant optical proffesionals by offering a good qualty product at a low price and service unequaled in the industry...

Imagine having a network of opticians that can order frames from a lab that stocks the frames...turnaround time will be dramatically reduced... a marketing department that pushes the plan to business and sets up interviews...

I love to hear stories of success like yours...its exciting to hear that it really can work...

thanks again for responding..Don

Thread Information