Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opticians Becoming like Haberdashers?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The refraction on an Eyelogic may be solid. Maybe. That really doesn't address the safety issue that I keep going back to. How many of these people had an independent site test?

http://www.optometrists.bc.ca/webupl...studies_04.pdf

Were they happy?
    http://www.optometrists.bc.ca/conten...est/68/11/68/1 (In Context)

That document you keep referenceing is a PR piece. It is created for the public. As a doctor you shoudl be able to take one quick glance at it and notice from the ommision of certain data that it is biased. I would love to discuss that document if we throw the grudge out and look at it more objectively.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

Get that haberdasher balderdash out of your name!

Professional titles are synonymous with one specialty or position.

Opthalmologist = eye surgery
    Optometrist = eye health
    Optician = glasses

For opticianry to die, glasses will have to go first.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Us old folks in dis country thought it was this way.
    Ophthalmologists: Medicine and Surgery of the eye
    Optometrists: Refraction and optical sales.
    Opticians: Eyeglasses, Contact lens fitting, prosthetic eyes.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Working in the Optical field, one thing i have learned is that the world would be alot better of a place if all three Os worked together for the better of the public. Getting rid of attitudes in the optical field like "Excalibur" would do wonders for us all, including this forum!!!!!!!!!

QUITE STIRRING THE POT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry::hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    As revealing as this thread is as to how little respect there is cross-profession in this industry, I honestly think it should be closed. It's been nothing but mudslinging for the past few pages, and while there is truth to both sides of this argument, its obvious that neither side is going to sway the other. This is a professional forum, and a lot of the posts in this thread haven't been anywhere near that caliber. If you really want to have this debate, the PM system would probably be a better bet than this open forum. The public can read this, and it shows badly on the entire Opthalmic community to see such bickering. :\
    This is probably the most intelligent post in the whole thread. I wish the moderators felt the same.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    There must be some Canadian politics going on here, so I will stay out of even though I have an opinion.

I initial question seems loaded, leading and biased.
    I also agree that this thread should now be shut down.

However it did serve to underscore an important point. And that was the lunacy of the HPRAC recommendation that the College of Opticians of Ontario (COO) invite Optometry into the development of sight-testing protocols for Ontario Opticians. The deleterious effects of this inclusion are now obvious to everyone. It is hoped that this thread will serve to awaken this College's Board from its complacency.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    And that was the lunacy of the HPRAC recommendation that the College of Opticians of Ontario (COO) invite Optometry into the development of sight-testing protocols for Ontario Opticians. The deleterious effects of this inclusion are now obvious to everyone. It is hoped that this thread will serve to awaken this College's Board from its complacency.
    FYI, optometry was not involved in the drafting of the Ontario refraction standards of practice.

The COO came up with those regulations all on their own.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    FYI, optometry was not involved in the drafting of the Ontario refraction standards of practice. The COO came up with those regulations all on their own.
    If so, then Optometry in Ontario has every reason to laugh at Ontario Opticians. Absolutely amazing!!!!:drop:

Excalibur
    I also agree that this thread should now be shut down.

However it did serve to underscore an important point. And that was the lunacy of the HPRAC recommendation that the College of Opticians of Ontario (COO) invite Optometry into the development of sight-testing protocols for Ontario Opticians. The deleterious effects of this inclusion are now obvious to everyone. It is hoped that this thread will serve to awaken this College's Board from its complacency.
    I don't believe that the College of Opticians of Ontario had a choice in the matter. Other Colleges, considered as stakeholders by the government, have the right to comment during the development of legislation. When regulation changes requested by optometry were put forth to the government, other professions including opticianry were asked for input too.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    "I have seen the enemy and it is us".
    I think this quote came from the Pogo cartoon strip in the newspapers....

Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I don't believe that the College of Opticians of Ontario had a choice in the matter. Other Colleges, considered as stakeholders by the government, have the right to comment during the development of legislation. When regulation changes requested by optometry were put forth to the government, other professions including opticianry were asked for input too.
    To quote Mulrooney, "You had a choice, sir."
    Government is obligated to seek stake-holder input as a matter of administrative fairness, plus OD and OMD may have valuable input to offer. However, government has access to its own experts, too.
    The COO had proven BC and Alberta sight-testing models at its disposal... with perhaps only some general COO tweeking required, if at all. But the COO also had the Great Glasses (sight-testing) fall-out fresh in their minds... so who knows.
    In any event, it appears they royally DROPPED THE BALL in this matter. :(

Excalibur
    To quote Mulrooney, "You had a choice, sir."
    Government is obligated to seek stake-holder input as a matter of administrative fairness, plus OD and OMD may have valuable input to offer. However, government has access to its own experts, too.
    The COO had proven BC and Alberta sight-testing models at its disposal... with perhaps only some general COO tweeking required, if at all. But the COO also had the Great Glasses (sight-testing) fall-out fresh in their minds... so who knows.
    In any event, it appears they royally DROPPED THE BALL in this matter. :(
    I certainly am not going to defend the College of Opticians of Ontario, but they have a very big fish to fry, namely a Bergez type of fish. Whether they can chew gum and walk at the same time... I'm not so sure.

Thread Information