Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1969?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    To Shanbaum; yes, I know the optical connection. He's still going strong too.

Alan W. Incredible! I too was at LACC...whoops, that was 1959. Just spent a week in Canada with a '57 grad of the optics course now residing in Santa Barbara. Jack Jue, ower of JL lab and I-Coat AR was, I believe, a '59 grad. Any others out there?

Gad, '69. I was out of college, the Navy, my first marriage and had just started my first "real" job, got engaged and bought a house. Other than that, not much.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Awww..Thanks Mullo!! Yep dad did come back and has dedicated his entire life to helping Vets get their pensions. (yea you thought I was going to say me right???HA!!) Dad is currently the Disabled American Vets Commander of TN so he is always traveling helping the cause. It is a fantastic cause and I am very proud of him (no matter how resentful at times I feel about it.)

Steph

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Running the Army personnel office at the Intelligence School in Oberammergau, Germany. One son on board, with a second on the way (I eventually ended up with five).Came to the States for my brother's wedding on July 29th (the day of "the walk") and returned in time for my my 7th , and final, Oktoberfest in Munich.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Stephanie, Hooray for your dad! The war ia long ago and far away, for those of us that came back in one piece. But for many, it's not over yet.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

In 1969 I was busy getting married (first time) and pretty much oblivious to the rest of the world. I would have been smarter going to Woodstock....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Thanks Al for your kind words about my Pop!! Yea pop really does give his blood sweat and tears into the organization. All this for the annual salary of.... $0.00. Yep all volunteer always has been. He is almost too nice. Has had vets call the house 2:00am and better asking questions. He never gets mad just patiently answers questions. Drives the van back and forth to Nashville VA hospital usually if he is home at least once a week. Thank God there are people like him in this world.

Steph

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Seems I was doing very well, there was a still lot of money in contact lenses then and in Mississippi I was about the only one who had a clue how to fit them. Was just divorced and sampling all the things I thought I had missed out on after 11 years of marriage. Had a lot of fun, got in a lot of trouble.

Had my own contact lens manufacturing lab so I could do my retail fitting my way. Had red convertible 400 HP LeMans Sport, and a motorcycle, thought I was something.

Folks regarded us contact fitting opticians as very special technical types (before we moved to the status of shoe salesmen) all this went to my head and at least my ego had a ball.

Damn shame one has to get old.

Chip:)

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The summer of 69 I was probably trying to decide if I liked baseball or girls better. As a thirteen year old baseball meant an awfull lot to me but it seems to me thats about the age the girls in school started looking a little different to me. Maybe I should have concentrated on baseball a little more, given the salary's those guys rake in, then again :D girls arent all that bad either.
    Mike

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: Jim G

Jim...
    Help me find Mark Pratt and I'll give you this genuine set of Ginsu knives right off the shipping dock on KTEL Blvd.

Sorry folks . . . visit Minnetonka some day and you, too, can have a "Tonka" Toy Truck and Ginsu knives . . . and a free tour of the Pentax coating lab!

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

I hope you guys are having some fun with this. Stephanie brought
    something out that I hope no one forgets. A lot of guys gave there lives for us back home and a lot of guys came back still fighting the war. Let us never forget those guys who fought so we could be sitting here writing e-mails. Way to go Stephanie and please say hello to your dad from us. Let him know we have not forgotten him.

Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:

From the Charge of the light Brigade By Tennison
    :)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hear!Hear!

Thats it...just.. Hear!Hear!

hj
    Last edited by hcjilson; 08-10-2001 at 06:25 AM.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Thanks for your kind words about my dad rfish. Don't worry dad won't be forgotten and he is out there making sure none of you are either!! I will bet my life on that. Have witnessed him accomplish so much for vets. I only hope one day I am as good of an optician as dad is a service officer/state commander(several other titles too). I will relay the message to him though...he always loves hearing about that stuff so it will probably turn into a 3 hour conversation!! God bless all of you and thank you for serving your country!!!!
    Steph

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was 12. I remember watching the landing on TV and going outside and looking at the moon. It was incredible to imagine how we had gone so far from Earth and survived the journey. I was a big astronomy buff. Still am. I had no clue what Woodstock was.

My husband remembers looking through the telescope hoping for a glimpse of American's on the moon. His Dad was doing his first tour in Vietman. A good thing for Dad to do but it left so many like my husband home to be the little man of the house. My father-in-law was a career Marine.

Bad address email on file
    I live in a samll town called Canby, Or. about 30 miles south of Portland. Oregon

Thumbs up

That was the year life was a little confusing. I had just finished my Ist year of
    college. I had a quick tour of Hadye/Asbury district San Francsico spring of that year. Found myself in Vancouver, BC, Hope valley area BC in the summer. Met my wife. Got drafted. Establised a relationship with God. I did hear about man landing on the moon. But that could have been the great wild blackberry drink we made, I can't remember.:D

Thread Information