Thread: Any Solution for Coating Failure!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any Solution for Coating Failure!!

We had spoken 1 1/2 years ago at Expo West and I told you of my concerns with the failling of your base "Europa" coating; it gets a banana pell effect. We are still having the same issue on AR coated transitions Trivex, poly and 1.6; 1.67 is not bad.
    You were going to get to me and as of today the problem still exists and i have not heard from Transitions.
    I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Craig
    www.eyetopian.com

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only one solution: Don't use coatings. Never had this problem with glass.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Or switch to better coatings. Never have this problem with Crizal.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortuately, I have had this problem with Crizal, had a few come back that looked like someone put a lens alighnment plier on the lens before the coating hardened (Yes, I know this probably wasn't what happened).

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You have never used Crizal with these materials!

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Or switch to better coatings. Never have this problem with Crizal.
    :finger:
    You might want to note that Crizal is not available on Trivex and just recently on 1.6 Transitions; please do your homework before giving sarcastic advice. We tried Crizal on poly transitions and it is the same problem. The heat in the cleaning and ar process cause the coating to breakdown.

I spoke personally with Jim from Transitions and we even sent examples, this is an issue of the coating under the scratch coating failling.
    Craig

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    :finger:
    You might want to note that Crizal is not available on Trivex and just recently on 1.6 Transitions; please do your homework before giving sarcastic advice. We tried Crizal on poly transitions and it is the same problem. The heat in the cleaning and ar process cause the coating to breakdown.

I spoke personally with Jim from Transitions and we even sent examples, this is an issue of the coating under the scratch coating failling.
    Craig
    It wasn't sarcastic. It was my solution. You can use Hi-Vision from Hoya for Trivex.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Craig,
    From what I remember your problems with Transitions V were stress induced and problems around the holes in drill mounts. We were working with the lab that supplied your uncuts, the lens manufacturer of the 1.6 lenses you were ordering and also the AR company.
    I remember talking on the phone at length on best practices and also sharing Drill Mounted Eyewear presentations on best practices for AR coated lenses. I have not heard from you until this posting.
    I sent a group of 1.6 cosmetic rejects to be surfaced and AR processed at the lab and then sent to you for edging and drilling. You were going work with the best practice tips on these lenses and look for stress cracks. No lenses were ever returned to me for inspection. Later I heard you were working directly with the lens manufacturer.
    I am back in the office this Monday. Please give me a call.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good Memory!

[quote=Jim Schafer;216444]Craig,
    From what I remember your problems with Transitions V were stress induced and problems around the holes in drill mounts. We were working with the lab that supplied your uncuts, the lens manufacturer of the 1.6 lenses you were ordering and also the AR company.
    I remember talking on the phone at length on best practices and also sharing Drill Mounted Eyewear presentations on best practices for AR coated lenses. I have not heard from you until this posting.
    I sent a group of 1.6 cosmetic rejects to be surfaced and AR processed at the lab and then sent to you for edging and drilling. You were going work with the best practice tips on these lenses and look for stress cracks. No lenses were ever returned to me for inspection. Later I heard you were working directly with the lens manufacturer.
    I am back in the office this Monday. Please give me a call.
    Jim[/quote

I will call you directly next week.
    The issue was not so much the drill holes as the lens in general; when the lenses were edged on the MEI edger with no wheels, the was almost no stress present anywhere on the lens. But when we edged on our ME-1000, we had the stress issues with or without the drilling. This led me to beleive that since our edger was run on soft mode and it is the latest on the market, we had another issue if all wheels cause the problem.
    Most of our big issues came on 1.6 transitions with Zeiss coatings, it did not matter if we did the dip or spin coat on the lens after surfacing.

We now have a new roughing wheel and it alleviates most of the stress when in initial roughing process; this is where all the torque is going to cause the most problems.

i would love to edge some now and send them to you to look at. We stopped ordering 1.6 Transitions over a year ago and have had great success with Phoenix and 1.67 with the same AR.

We now do over 40% Transitons and growing.

Craig

Thread Information