OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile Changing Lenses

Since the advent of Sunsencers (Corning) and Transitions which
    do you perfer to use?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I use Transitions

I stick with Transitions for a couple of reasons.They were the first to come out with a viable CR-39 product with photochromic properties. They have developed a brand name presence to the consumer so the consumer is asking for them by name-very similar to what Corning did with Photo-grey and Photo-Sun when they hit the market in the 70's..

Lastly, Transitions supports this forum by offsetting some of the expense involved.They support us,and I think its only right to support Transitions.

Nice talking to you again! Harry J
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Harry, whilst I fully agree with you about Transitions input into this board and the fact that they were marketing plastics photochromic lenses before Corning, let's look at a couple of other facts before tossing Sunsensors aside.

Firstly the pricing is pretty comparable between the 2 products but you do get a 1.56 lens with Sunsensors and when the Rx gets higher, that does make a difference in thickness.

In our hot, humid climate, we're finding that Sunsensors work very well in the heat.

But, and it's a big BUT.... I feel we've been let down by Transitions.

Transitions Plus was a lens that definitely changed colour, from grey to brown! and after 18 months to 2 years it stayed brown and didn't even go light.
    We replaced a lot of lenses for patients at our expense

When Trans 3 appeared on the market, I was promised by Transitions that it was a more stable material. I'm very happy to show anyone my 2 year old grey Transition 3 lenses.
    They are now yellow.

So far, and we're only one year gone, Grey Sunsensors are still grey.

I'd love to hear from others also in hot climates.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I prefer Sunsensors. In our area they turn a darker true grey color in bright sun and their quality seems to last longer. I have to agree with what Clive Noble said about the 1.56 Index, especially with plus scripts. Only one question, I thought Transition III was also 1.56 Index; does anyone know what index it is?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Jo,
    I think it's only the Ormex Transitions that are 1.56, or something close... the others are 1.50 I believe. We've been using the Ormex ones for a few months, and they seem to work pretty good in our climate (HOT, and definitely not a dry heat!).
    I've never used the Sunsensors, so I have no idea how they compare.
    I know, I know... I've been a lot of help! :bbg:

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Blake!

Has anyone used the Rodenstock lenses? I don't know what their trade name is but I heard they are supposed to be nice lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hey guys, don't forget the SunGrey4 from Hoya- also a mid index photochromic. Works well in hot places (like 120 degrees in Palm Springs in August!!!)
    The Roderstock lens is called Colormatic :)
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On paper, the Rodenstock is supposed to go the darkest, and clear to the lightest. I don't know about in real life, because I dispensed it this week as a remake, because she complained about the darkening properties of the lens she had, and has only picked them up today. I'm sure she'll be back if they're not up to scratch, and I will dutifully let you know.

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Colormatic

We use all three...

Transitions gets dark enough for most patients.
    Great color selections.

Sunsensors get darker for quite a few patients.
    Love the mid-index.

Colormatic gets pretty dark and the color is soft.
    It is the only one that will darken behind the windshield of a car.

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

I agree with hcjilson on all the points he made. But I ran into a couple of other problems with the Corning product, mainly warpage. We did at least three pair over for a gentleman until he finally said forget this give back my old transition type, after that never had a problem. I know of one lab in the area that charges
    premium price and I don't mean just a $50 up charge, I mean a stiff up charge because they have had nothing but problems with the Corning product.

What does an elephant do in a forest?
    ANYTHING HE WANTS
    :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've taken the Trans III and the SunSensor outside, side by side in our hot SW Florida sun. The darker was the Sunsensor without a doubt. Thats our choice now.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Transitions.......

We only carry Transitions and are quite happy with the customer satisfaction. I haven't dealt with Sunsensors but it is interesting to hear facts from fellow professionals about both.........Mullo ;)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    To Rfish777,

Warpage? I'm must be missing something..... Why would the Corning lenses warp differently (or more often) than someone elses lenses?
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We were having a problem with Ormex lenses developing waves during surfacing; perhaps it is the same heat related issue.

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

JRS you may not believe that, but we sent all three sets of lenses
    to the original lab and they agreed it was warpage. Jo your right
    they did mention that they had to watch these lenses a lot closer
    just because of the heat factor. But again they were having so many problems they just upped the price and discouraged all use of the lens.
    :bbg:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Check me if I'm wrong, but am I summing this up right?

1) The Corning (Sunsensors) were sent to you, from the lab, warped and/or they warped soon after you got them.

2) The lab (the lab you have surface your work) admits to having a problem with these lenses, but rather than correcting the problem, they raised the price to discourage you from ordering more.

3) Ormex (Transitions material) mentioned by Jo and you (Rfish) is also a problem from your respective labs. In Jo's case, she is referring to surfacing - not lenses sent to the dispenser and warped later. but you (Rfish) seem to get these 'errors' sent to you from the lab as acceptable quality.

No matter how I keep looking at this, it seems the lab(s) having a problem that you (both?) are suffering with. Why would you continue to use them? If they struggle with mid-index products, then they most likely are marginal on the rest.

Did I understand this ok?
    J. R. Smith

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

JRS we do not use that lab anymore. I was only pointing out a fact
    that Jo concurred with that there were some problems with the lens. Maybe it was on the lab end but still there were problems.
    Lastly lets drop this your beating a dead horse. We have it ironed out, end of story.:p

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Transitions can be obtained on many different lens indecies. Aside from transitions, I have noticed that some mid index lens matrials demonstrate a more supple character that might lead to some warpage under the right conditons.

I think that it is important to keep in mind the differences between
    imbibed and in-mass photochomics. Each have their advantages and can be mentioned to the patient or customer appropriately.

I do enjoy dispensing the Corning Thin and Dark technology when
    applicable. I have had spendid result with this material in the new
    smaller frames.

Rodenstock has a nice in mass product. I haven't had the chance to try the Hoya product.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Maria, I'd prefer if you didn't use the phrase, "if they're not up to scratch." Patients might get the wrong idea.

From the labs side, and you're heard me before, most mid-index lenses are abominations. They're soft, hard to surface on power and VERY susceptable to heat (i.e. waves). Oh, and suspect on passing drop-ball too. Other than that...

The new Transitions Quantum (Velocity from SOLA on Spectralite) is 'sposed to be great. Any experience out there?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim:
    OK, so you can state categorically that most mid-index lenses are abominations, but I can't even imply that a lens may not meet my patient's expectations?
    I think I'd be more concerned as a patient if I read about your 'suspect' drop ball tests, to be perfectly honest.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can you believe it?

We had two calls today from two differnt patients one wearing Transitions and the other Sunsensor. Both told us they didn't turn dark.

I fielded the one question. I had both our order card and the lab invoice. Both were marked Sunsensor's. The patient said she was calling for her husband and" the lenses didn't darken at all".

After listening I asked her where she and he were looking at them. Her reply in the bathroom. I told her to go outside and see if they were darker after being exposed to the sun. Sure enough they were darker.
    :hammer:

Thread Information