Thread: Clear Polarized Lenses...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clear Polarized Lenses...

I've just finished talking to a physicist with extensive work in reflected light. He wants a pair of night driving clear polarized glasses that will stop the windshield/dashboards reflected light. To my knowledge the industry doesn't make clear polarized lenses. Anyone know why not? He believes that another crystal besides iodine could be used to create clear polarization. Can it?

I didn't search for previous threads that may have addressed this so if it's a redundant thread my apologies.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There was an excellent thread on this. It's not possible.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I've just finished talking to a physicist with extensive work in reflected light. He wants a pair of night driving clear polarized glasses that will stop the windshield/dashboards reflected light. To my knowledge the industry doesn't make clear polarized lenses. Anyone know why not? He believes that another crystal besides iodine could be used to create clear polarization. Can it?

I didn't search for previous threads that may have addressed this so if it's a redundant thread my apologies.

It's not currently possible. Maybe your physicist could circumvent optics to create one.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That's what I thought...

Why not? Is iodine the only crystal that can be polarized?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Why not? Is iodine the only crystal that can be polarized?

I imagine they could polarize other crystals but if the crystals are clear, what will they be polarizing? Nothing - and all the light will still pass through them.

You can get some rather light colored yellow polarized lenses that might be the ticket for him.
    Does KB Co still make their Neutral gray polarized lenses? They were lightly colored for indoor use but not efficient at all as polarized filters.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    He wants a pair of night driving clear polarized glasses that will stop the windshield/dashboards reflected light.
    Any glasses will be more harmfull to night driving than no glasses, due to reduced transmission. Especially tinted or polarized lenses, you will reduce the glare but it will also reduce the amount of light and at night this can create a hazard.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He said the light comes through the windshield and reflects off the dash then back off the windshield and is in a polarized state (which was news to me) when it reaches your eye. He did say he'd have to think about whether the eyeglass lens polarizing filter would need to be placed horizontal or vertical when I questioned which direction the light hitting the eye was coming from.

Thanks for the yellow lens suggestion. I may run with that!

Occupation
    He said the light comes through the windshield and reflects off the dash then back off the windshield and is in a polarized state (which was news to me) when it reaches your eye. He did say he'd have to think about whether the eyeglass lens polarizing filter would need to be placed horizontal or vertical when I questioned which direction the light hitting the eye was coming from.

Horizontal just like on every sun you'd make. Makes sense, but I would caution him about making them and if he goes for it then make them up in the yellow, or grey A. Good luck and I'd love to hear what he thinks about them after he wears them.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know the real solution to his problem. He just needs to send his windshield out for a backside Crizal Alize.:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Makes sense, but I would caution him about making them
    Harry- What's my caution? They may not work?? Any idea why clear can't be made other than nobody has or are polarized lenses for white light with clear lenses nonsensical?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6219

Check out this previous thread, with a decent explanation from Mr. Meister.
    RT

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

He may want to consider the simple solution of stop using ArmorAll on his dash. or purchase a dashboard cover

Beat the heat and shun the sun with the Original Dash Mat. Premium needle-punch carpet and a precision fit protect and beautify your vehicle’s dash. Plus, the panoramic color palette lets you match or accent any interior. Lifetime Warranty.

www.autoanything.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    k12311997-That is so cool. He mentioned that all dashboards should be a flat dark color!

Thanks RT and Daryl-- Very helpful.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-26-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Youss guys are the best

Occupation
    Harry- What's my caution? They may not work?? Any idea why clear can't be made other than nobody has or are polarized lenses for white light with clear lenses nonsensical?
    Their is no clear polarized film that I know of, there are phase retarders, but they are something a bit different, they will rotate the phase of polarized light and are called wave retarders (they're clear). As far as I know their is no clear polarized films, but I may be wrong. Even if their was the efficacy of the filter would be reduced and they would still not be recommended for night driving so I guess they would be nonsensical in a way. I would just warn him that the lenses might reduce glare, but might make it more difficult to distiguish objects at night.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless I'm grossly misinformed, I was under the impression that the glasses you use to view 3D IMAX movies are polarized. One lens horizontal, and one vertical. I haven't gone to one in a while, but I remember them being fairly clear. Would something like that make a difference?

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Unless I'm grossly misinformed, I was under the impression that the glasses you use to view 3D IMAX movies are polarized. One lens horizontal, and one vertical. I haven't gone to one in a while, but I remember them being fairly clear. Would something like that make a difference?
    Just saw Beowulf in IMAX 3D (super way cool) The lenses are a light grey about a 50% nothing you'd want to drive at night in.

Thread Information