Thread: Patriots " possibly the best NFL team in history"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There's been better

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Show me the last team to do it!

1972 Dolphins
    They remain the only perfect team in the NFL's Super Bowl era, their spot in history secure for, who knows, maybe another 35 years:)
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist."
    Franklin Jones.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    1984 San Francisco
    1985 Chicago
    In 1984 the San Fransisco 49er's lost to Pittsburgh to go 15-1 for the regular season.

In 1985, the Chicago Bears Lost to Miami to go 15 and 1 for the regular season.

In 2007 the New England Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season. Try going back again to find another team that has done that....Be sure to get back to us! Perhaps you could also find a team that scored more points, a guarterback that threw more TD's and a receiver that caught more than 23 TD passes. That out to keep you busy for a while!..... Perhaps til the end of NEXT season. :D
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In 1984 the San Fransisco 49er's lost to Pittsburgh to go 15-1 for the regular season.

In 2007 the New England Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season. Try going back again to find another team that has done that....Be sure to get back to us! Perhaps you could also find a team that scored more points, a guarterback that threw more TD's and a receiver that caught more than 23 TD passes. That out to keep you busy for a while!..... Perhaps til the end of NEXT season. :D

Well, don't forget the Jerry Rice record that fell was for a 12 game season.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

SF and Chicago won the one that really counted. Regular season is a qualifier for the playoffs and ultimately the Super Bowl. 15-1, 14-2,15-3, 18-0, doesn't matter. It's the team that hoists the trophy on SB Sunday that is the Champion...#1 team!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Regarding the individual and team records achieved by the Patriots this year, prior to the game there was that dramatic "touchy-feely" clip where the Patriots players claimed "the individual and team records don't matter- the only thing that matters is the Championship."

Of course, that was when they were all assuming they would actually WIN the Championship. They haven't, so- if we're to take them at their word- all the records that are being touted are meaningless, because the New York Giants are the NFL Champions.

As for comparing the 2007 Patriots to previous teams, I'm not sure you can say the Patriots are better than that venerated Bears team. After all, the Bears lost a fluke game to Miami that year, and the Patriots won a couple fluke games during their run (Baltimore was their Miami game, they just happened to luck out and win it- and don't tell me it didn't involve luck- I recall a ball being batted up in the air about 30' at the end of them game that hung forever before falling to the ground... not to mention the questionable time out situation). Basically, the Pats had a better record because a few tipped balls that did not go Chicago's way did go their way.

That's subjective... the objective reason the 2007 Pats aren't the best team in NFL history is their lack of a running game (which basically caught up to them last night). That's part of the reason you have the passing / receiving records this year- because the Pats could never consistently run the ball this year. The Giants made them one dimensional and then beat the crap out of Brady (who looked worse than his stats indicated).

The Giants kept saying if they had needed a win to make the playoffs they could have beat the Pats in the final week of the season. Last night's game seems to be vindication of that claim.

So, the best one can say about the 2007 Patriots is they are the best team in the history of the NFL NOT to win the Championship.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Pete - would you also consider the 2005, 14-2 Indianapolis Colts as one of the Best teams ever to not win a Superbowl? There 2 losses came because they were Undefeated and didnt need any more wins.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Pete - would you also consider the 2005, 14-2 Indianapolis Colts as one of the Best teams ever to not win a Superbowl? There 2 losses came because they were Undefeated and didnt need any more wins.
    Great Point.....They were content to sit the starters instead of chasing records.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many of those super bowl rings did the Colts get? The Pats have a few...perhaps it was time to give a shot to someone else.
    Lord Byron

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

"Sore" Losers

I guess they are giving someone else a shot at the Pro Bowl

Anderson, Winslow go to Pro Bowl as Brady, Moss, Gates opt out

Brady, who was sacked five times by the Giants and pounded throughout the Super Bowl, has been bothered by a tender ankle. There was no official word why Moss wasn't going to play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3230389

Banned
    Occupation

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Trying to compare teams from different years is a bit silly... which is why Chris Collinsworth (and anyone else who jumped on the "Patriots are the best team in the history of the NFL" bandwagon) were full of it from the beginning.

Even if the Patriots had won last evening's game, it would have only proven they were the best team in 2007- since we'll never get to see them play the Bears of the 80s or the Cowboys of the 90s.

As it is, you can't even say the Patriots were the best team this year- because they lost the Superbowl (and that's how we determine the best team in the NFL). The Colts discovered the same thing in 2005 when they destroyed Pittsburgh in the regular season and then lost at home to them in the playoffs. The only thing that matters is the Superbowl.

The Patriots had a great team this year. The fact they beat Indianapolis, Dallas, and San Diego during the regular season is proof- but they also had the good fortune to play in the worst division in the NFL this year (which gave them 6 relatively easy wins). Furthermore, they got plain lucky in a few games (Philly & Baltimore). Most great seasons feature a bit of luck, though.

Perhaps its wishful thinking, but I believe we've seen the end of the "dynasty." The Patriots are an aged football team, and- although they still talk the talk about teamwork, they now have a number of "individualists" on their team- their last Superbowl win was 4 years ago now...

Anyway, it doesn't matter- because everything I've pointed out through the year was validated last evening. Win or lose, the Patriots lack class- which brings us back to why 99.5% of the country was wearing smiles today. They managed to be poor winners all year, and they managed to be poor losers last evening.

For Patriots fans, you do have my sympathies- it has to be absolutely crushing to lose a game like that... At least you got to enjoy your team through two more games than I did, though.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete, are you forgeting that the Patriots ALSO beat the Giant's this year? I noticed you failed to list them.

Speaking of a lack of class, I think booing a 14 year old girl who won the pass punt and kick contest because she was wearing a Patriots jersey bespoke a significant lack of class!

Yes indeed, it was a devestating loss for us. I have yet to read of it because it would be too painful. The Giants won fair and square and outplayed and out coached the Patriots. Next year is just around the corner and we'll see who's back and who's not. We certainly saw what happened to the Patriots after last years playoff loss. I wouldn't be betting against their comeback anytime soon.
    Lord Byron

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's over, let's be nice. Business was terrible in our shopping center today, either too many superbowl hangovers or everyone bet on the Patriots and had to pay off.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete, are you forgeting that the Patriots ALSO beat the Giant's this year? I noticed you failed to list them.

Speaking of a lack of class, I think booing a 14 year old girl who won the pass punt and kick contest because she was wearing a Patriots jersey bespoke a significant lack of class!

Yes indeed, it was a devestating loss for us. I have yet to read of it because it would be too painful. The Giants won fair and square and outplayed and out coached the Patriots. Next year is just around the corner and we'll see who's back and who's not. We certainly saw what happened to the Patriots after last years playoff loss. I wouldn't be betting against their comeback anytime soon.
    That's the spirit Harry! Glad to see you moving on...there's always next year!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    At our sales meeting last month, we received one of those electronic picture frames. Besides the ability to display pictures, you can display video files as well. Thanks to NFL.com, I was able to download a continually running clip that shows Brady being repeatedly pummelled by the Giant's defense (that should keep me amused for at least part of the off-season)! With the Giant's front four, I have a feeling Peyton would have been thrown off as well- what an awesome pass rush those guys have!

Nope- didn't forget. The Pats beat NY in the final game of the year- a game that had no implications for the Giants, but represented a perfect regular season for the Pats. As I mentioned earlier, several of the Giants indicated they could have beaten the Pats if they needed the win to qualify for the playoffs. Of course, one usually dismisses that kind of talk, but the Giants seemed to back it up last evening by kicking it up a level. (One has to wonder what Tiki Barber was thinking last night- he's been quite free with his criticism of Coach Coughlin. If he had hung around he might have retired with a ring.)

Yep, that was one of the most classless acts I've ever seen. For anyone who didn't see it, at halftime of the San Diego / Indy game- which was played in Indy- the winners of the "Punt, Pass, & Kick" contest were announced. One of the young ladies who won represented the New England Patriots- and my fellow Indy fans made complete idiots of themselves by loudly booing her. There can be no excuse for that kind of behavior, and it was an embarrassment.

Fortunately, Coach Dungy and the actual players manage to conduct themselves with a fair amount of class on a consistent basis- that's one of the reasons I could wear my Colts apparel to the grocery store yesterday with pride (had to enjoy that final day as World Champions).

Enough rubbing salt in the wounds- if the Colts had lost in similar fashion (i.e., on a play where Eli manages to escape a sack and throw what I consider the new immaculate reception), I think my TV would have looked similar to the one someone posted for sale (i.e., broken from a beer bottle being flung through the set)!

So, Harry, Mike, and all you other diehard Pat fans, you certainly deserve a few weeks to lick the wounds... Let us all know when you've recovered- till then I'll lay off the smack.

Hopefully the NFL will match up the Colts and Pats again next year so we can tee it up again soon.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Hopefully the NFL will match up the Colts and Pats again next year so we can tee it up again soon.
    Yep! It's on the schedule, in Indy I believe.
    http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedu...uture_afce.htm
    A helpful link for NFL fans.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I went to the site and checked both Indy and New England for 2008. I didn't find it! If it were to be, it would be in New England I think because last year (07) it was in Indianapolis
    Lord Byron

Banned
    Occupation
    NE and Indy both won their division. NE plays the winner of the AFC South away.

Note: Each team plays the other teams in its division home and away each season in addition to games listed; last game in each column to be determined by previous year's finish.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yeah, I think the Colts went up to Foxboro for 3 years in a row at one point. I think I'll start trying to get my tickets for this match-up.

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Was that Tickets (plural)? .....Old friend...old buddy...old pal.:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RA View Post
    1972 Dolphins
    They remain the only perfect team in the NFL's Super Bowl era, their spot in history secure for, who knows, maybe another 35 years:)
    From whatifsports.com

2007 New England Patriots at 1972 Miami Dolphins
    The Silver Dome
    Final -
    2007 New England Patriots 38
    1972 Miami Dolphins 14
    ...Just ask me...

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ho Hum!

Another one bites the dust. Great team but just another loser.
    NOBODY'S PERFECT!
    EXCEPT THE 1972 DOLPHINS.
    GO FISH

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    From whatifsports.com

2007 New England Patriots at 1972 Miami Dolphins
    The Silver Dome
    Final -
    2007 New England Patriots 38
    1972 Miami Dolphins 14
    Even the 2007 Giants beat the 1972 Dolphins

Final - 2/6/2008 Total
    2007 New York Giants 22
    1972 Miami Dolphins 10
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    Another one bites the dust. Great team but just another loser.
    NOBODY'S PERFECT!
    EXCEPT THE 1972 DOLPHINS.
    GO FISH

Plezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Go Fish Come On! New England was a great team greatest of all I'm not sure. They have had a nice 6 or 7 year run with 3 Super Bowl wins in that time. But wait, a little rat just whispered in my ear that they might have proof that "Mr. Run off the field with a second left"
    may have video taped their first Super Bowl victim St. Louis. If that is true rumor has it Bell-a-jerk might be gone for a year. Just my 2 cents

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Plezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Go Fish Come On! New England was a great team greatest of all I'm not sure. They have had a nice 6 or 7 year run with 3 Super Bowl wins in that time. But wait, a little rat just whispered in my ear that they might have proof that "Mr. Run off the field with a second left"
    may have video taped their first Super Bowl victim St. Louis. If that is true rumor has it Bell-a-jerk might be gone for a year. Just my 2 cents
    And if I got caught with a half pound of marijuana, you could be sure that I would not be released on my own recognizance like Willie Andrews of the Patsies.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information