Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Patriots " possibly the best NFL team in history"

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was watching that game.....all except the ending. I was in Cleveland and none of us could believe the final score when it was broadcast later. Man we we steamed, we could have set fire to NBC or whatever network had it on.!Must have been NBC because CBS had the NFL and ABC wasn't into football on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Or
    this - the best ever, as far as last minute surprises. Although many of the NFL fans who were watching on TV would probably choose something other than "best ever" to describe it!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    The Pats are the tied for the best Team in SPORTS history! They are tied with the RED SOX!
    I think the NFL is going to put a 20 point rule in next year. If your up by 20 at the half the game is over!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How about that blockhead from Pittsburgh?

How about that blockhead from Pittsburgh, "guaranteeing" a win for the Steelers on Sunday........at least he'll be able to compete in the open air. Hope he likes playing in the rain 'cause I heard thats what its going to be doing on Sunday at 4:15. While no Patriot is saying anything about the "guarantee" I am sure it may be in the back of some minds when they meet.

I liked what Brady was quoted as saying. "Well done is better than well said!".It was quoted as the team's motto and I could'nt think of a better one.
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

you guys are misunderstanding

Maybe I was over the top with my comment. The question was "ARE THEY POSSIBLY THE BEST IN HISTORY" It is not fair for them to wear this "crown" so to speak, because no team has ever played with such disregard, and intention to make the other team look bad. I think you are seeing the result of this in their play the last couple of games, because while other great teams in history have pulled their starters or have deployed the run out the clock method of play the Pats have been balls out at all times and now here they are with 4 games left and the playoffs yet to play, and they have already scored a seasons worth of points and ran a seasons worth of yards. I hope this comment was not as offensive as the last. Commented more with my head and less with my heart this time.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Psychological warfare...

Quote Originally Posted by big daddy View Post
    Maybe I was over the top with my comment. The question was "ARE THEY POSSIBLY THE BEST IN HISTORY" It is not fair for them to wear this "crown" so to speak, because no team has ever played with such disregard, and intention to make the other team look bad. I think you are seeing the result of this in their play the last couple of games, because while other great teams in history have pulled their starters or have deployed the run out the clock method of play the Pats have been balls out at all times and now here they are with 4 games left and the playoffs yet to play, and they have already scored a seasons worth of points and ran a seasons worth of yards. I hope this comment was not as offensive as the last. Commented more with my head and less with my heart this time.
    Two thoughts 1) I think the Pats took offense (pun intended) when the Jets called them for taping sideline signals and wanted to prove they didn't need to tape for later analysis signs to win. 2) I think the greatest football coach in the history of the NFL saw an opportunity to deflect the attention away from the players and put it on himself so the players could concentrate on playing record shattering football to the best of their abilities. Now that the season has worn on and the players worn down the games have become much closer. I dare say last week the Ravens snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Not that I'm complaining of course:bbg:

I think it was Keyshawn Johnson who commented a few weeks back that if you don't want them to run up the score "stop them!" This from an offensive player who undoubtedly had big money incentives to keep catching balls and scoring touchdowns.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Two thoughts 1) I think the Pats took offense (pun intended) when the Jets called them for taping sideline signals and wanted to prove they didn't need to tape for later analysis signs to win. 2) I think the greatest football coach in the history of the NFL saw an opportunity to deflect the attention away from the players and put it on himself so the players could concentrate on playing record shattering football to the best of their abilities. Now that the season has worn on and the players worn down the games have become much closer. I dare say last week the Ravens snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Not that I'm complaining of course:bbg:

I think it was Keyshawn Johnson who commented a few weeks back that if you don't want them to run up the score "stop them!" This from an offensive player who undoubtedly had big money incentives to keep catching balls and scoring touchdowns.

I do think the Patsies are an impressive team. Loveable? Not in the least. Belichik has redefined the meaning of surly.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He's in the business of winning football games, not schmoozing people.
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    He's in the business of winning football games, not schmoozing people.
    That's true. I don't see any commercials with him in them.
    Just like Beethoven, you're nobody if you're not on TV, <Lucy rant>:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm positive Coach would be thrilled to be compared to Beethoven in the same sentence. What a legacy! :)
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Impressive win today against the Steelers. I am continually amazed at the Patriots ability to pull off plays like that muffed gadget play in the third quarter that resulted in a what? a 60 yd TD pass. And only 3 runs in the second half! Pass plays on two consecutive 4th and 1's. I've never seen anything like it.

-Keith

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    Speechless are you?
    Just adding the apropriate * .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbenjamin View Post
    Impressive win today against the Steelers. I am continually amazed at the Patriots ability to pull off plays like that muffed gadget play in the third quarter that resulted in a what? a 60 yd TD pass. And only 3 runs in the second half! Pass plays on two consecutive 4th and 1's. I've never seen anything like it.

-Keith
    In the postgame words of the Coach, " It helped 'sell' the play to the Steelers defense. It also didn't hurt too much to have it played on Anthony Smith, author of the Steelers "Guaranteed" Victory. I don't know if anyone else has noticed that the Patriots offense this year hasn't used "gadget" plays. I think, in large measure, that is why Philadelphia was able to keep the Pats on their heels.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    When I said "pull off plays like that" I wasn't specifically referring to gadget plays, I meant plays that most other teams wouldn't try let alone find success in. The gadget play was an example, as were the passes on fourth and one, many of the long end zone hook-ups they've had this year, sure interceptions turned touchdowns, etc.

-Keith

Occupation
    ...in other words a non-stop highlight reel.

-Keith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We were just notified.....

That the Miami game is being switched from 1PM to 4:15 in a couple of weeks. At least it isn't a late game!I guess the NFL wants to boost its audience.I still remember the last place Dolphins smok'in the playoff bound Pats a few years back. Brady said and I believe it, that right now, the Pats are concentrating on the Jets, and they'll start worrying about Miami next Monday. I think the worry now might be of a let down because of a bye week in the playoffs. This is definitely the hardest run of the season....even though Pete thinks the teams we play are pushovers.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    The Dolphins were also the only team to beat the '85 Bears. Although the thought of that happening this year is almost laughable.

I actually think the Dolphins were a decent team this year all the way up until a couple weeks ago. Even with an 0-11 record, there was still no quit in them. Six of their games were lost by three points and some in the last minutes. Even though they were losing, I actually enjoyed watching them play more this year than I have in a long time. But, now they appear to have completely given up. Having lost their starting QB, three starting RBs, four starting safeties, a pro-bowl wide receiver, a pro-bowl middle linebacker, and now a gimpy Jason Taylor, I'm not sure I can blame them.

I think the Pats have very little to worry about and the '72 Dolphins probably won't be popping any corks this year.

-Keith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

News at Noon

Just off the press....

Foxboro, MA (AP) -- Patriots coach Bill Belichick says the Jets' cheating charge won't change the way he prepares for this weekend's rematch.

Jets coach Eric Mangini blew the whistle on Belichick's use of video cameras after New England's 38-14 season-opening blow-out over New York.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fined Belichick $500,000 -- the team $250,000 -- and took away one of the Patriots two first-round draft choices.

Belichick was asked five times at his news conference yesterday about the impact of the spying scandal on the rematch.

Each time he said he'd approach the game like every other.

Whether Belichick or his players reveal their true feelings, the complaint about the camera should provide extra incentive.

It did when New England crushed San Diego 38-14 three days after Goodell slapped the Patriots and their coach.

PS Given that a year ago Mangini was the one benefiting from whatever was filmed from the sidelines, AND it was he who blew the whistle on Belichick, I seriously doubt that this game will be approached like "any other game" It would not surprise me to see a record setting score approaching if not eclipsing Chicago's 73-0 win in 1940. Mangini may finally learn a lesson taught to all children in all cultures. When you play with fire you can get burned!
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No team in history has ever played to score as many points as possible.

Excuse me? Shouldn't that always be the goal? I'll just refer you to Tom Brady's comment re:running up the score. "They don't send me out there to PUNT!"
    And you hope the Pats lose their first playoff game so you don't have to watch your beloved Colts get beat by them again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbenjamin View Post
    I think the Pats have very little to worry about and the '72 Dolphins probably won't be popping any corks this year.

-Keith
    After the Steelers game, I agree. The Steelers played the game right; and still didn't even come close. I also think that the Steelers are a little better than their record, so this was a definitive win.

You need to be more than good to have an undefeated season. You also have to be lucky. Like in the Baltimore game last week.
    Maybe if the Pats have a couple of injuries, lose a little confidence and the Cowboys gain a little confidence - they might have a chance at losing the last game of the season. Otherwise, it's clear sailing.

'07 Pats - Best team ever, I now agree

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I hate to say this.....

I hate to say this with Mikey lurking around, but I honestly believe my 58 NY Giants could have beat them.......and the same goes for the 58 BALTIMORE (Not to be confused with the Pansy's that play inside) Colts could have too. Although my Giants lost in overtime in the "greatest game ever played" they were still, man for man, the best team I ever saw on a football field. I LOVE the Patriots but the 58 Giants sit enshrined for me, at the top.

If you google it you will see some amazing pictures. Marchetti with a broken leg having the stretcher carriers put him down so he could watch the rest of the game.(broken leg) Seventeen participants of that game made the hall of fame. That's got to be some record.

It was the only football game I have been moved to tears over and still get goose bumps remembering.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ashunton View Post
    Excuse me? Shouldn't that always be the goal? I'll just refer you to Tom Brady's comment re:running up the score. "They don't send me out there to PUNT!"
    And you hope the Pats lose their first playoff game so you don't have to watch your beloved Colts get beat by them again.

If you were a person who knows their football history and strategy of the game you would see that when teams take a 30 point lead into the second half they control the clock by running the ball and starters get pulled in case of injury. It has happend over and over, try watching a few games. If you are talking about when the colts lost to the pats earlier this year when the colts had 5 key starters on the bench, that game was lost due to the true blue Pat Vinateri missing field goals. So ask me if I am afraid of seeing the precious Pats who play the easiest schedule in the league and I have to be honest... I am not!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do tell........

" So ask me if I am afraid of seeing the precious Pats who play the easiest schedule in the league and I have to be honest... I am not!"

Pray kind sir, which of the games in our schedule this year was the easiest? Was it The Colts at their house? Perhaps it was Dallas at theirs, Naw, that wasn't too diffucult, Maybe you were referring to San Diego at their house. Kindly back up that rhetoric with some authority.

When our 2 teams meet again as it is almost inevitable, your boys are going to become men. They have considerable talent in commercials, but lets see how good they are where the metal meets the road on a frigid January night in Foxborough Massachusetts. Unfortunately we play in the open air so that the noise of the fans, although ferocious to hear, will allow PAYton to be heard by his team mates. A courtesy, I may point out, that was not extended to the Patriots when they last visited Indiana!
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

to answer you kind sir

If you would have read earlier comments from me, I have mentioned that the Pats only have played or will play 4 real games all year. The opponents of your precious Pats has a combined record of 97-111, and if you take away the only 4 teams worth anything they have played or will play 12 games against opponents with a combined record of 56-100. So, don't know what reason I have to be worried because I don't think they are going to be around in the finals to have the Colts send the big bad Pats, that everyone loves, home and leaving you guys clinging to your Bo Sox World Series trophy.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

What!

Not counting the Pats the top 2 teams in the leauge are the Cowboys NFC and the Colts AFC. The Pats beat them both!

PATS WILL WIN THE SUPERBOWL!

THE END!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you would have read earlier comments from me, I have mentioned that the Pats only have played or will play 4 real games all year.
    Big Daddy,
    Since you must be the definitive authority, would you kindly enlighten us and define a "real" football game so we will know the criteria by which to judge future contests.:bbg:

Just in this afternoon.....

"Mangini Admits Jets Taped Patriots Last Season
    NEW YORK (WBZ) ―
    Its not quite 007 James Bond versus Goldfinger, but this weekend's Patriots Jets game could be a different type of spy vs. spy.

New York Newsday is reporting that the Jets were caught spying & videotaping the Patriots last season.

The newspaper, sighting " league sources familiar with the situation", says the Jets were caught using taping during a game in Foxborough last season. Here's the difference though: The Patriots apparently didn't report it to the NFL and instead just had the offending employee removed.

According to the article, after Gillette Stadium officials saw the Jets employee using the video recorder early in the game, he was told to stop and to leave the area. He had been filming from the mezzanine level between the scoreboard and a decorative lighthouse in an end zone. The camera was not confiscated by the Patriots or stadium security."
    Lord Byron

Thread Information