Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: God and Suffering

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Without God, who is to say that murder is wrong?
    Everyone who wants to live?

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
    Everyone who wants to live?
    What about people who murdered someone? They don't necessarily agree with you.

The point is, if just one thing is ABSOLUTELY right, or ABSOLUTELY wrong, then there must be a God who made is so. Otherwise, it is just your opinion against mine. Or the majority opinion against the minority opinion.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    God is a Majority!
    That's why he Rules.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    The semester is over. All of the OptiBoard opinions are in.

Did you pass the course? Of greater importance, have you come to any personal conclusions that you can share with us?
    Thanks for asking. I came away with an A. The best course I ever took and it should be required for all human beings. We had three books to read outside of the regular textbook which was a general history written by our proffesor. They were Night by Elie Weisel
    http://www.amazon.com/Night-Oprahs-B...8451518&sr=8-1

Your name is Renee by Rith Hartz (who actually visited us in class)
    http://www.amazon.com/Your-Name-Rene...8451566&sr=1-1

and Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning
    http://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Men-C...8451634&sr=1-1

The course was eye opening....we studied other genocides as well (Sudan, Rwanda, Afghanistan, etc) I am a history buff and so this course brought things more into focus for me. More than that, I came away convinced that all men are capable of great evil. I get sick of people trying to find evil where it isnt (Harry Potter, Rock and Roll, etc)
    Read the Lucifer Effect and you will know what I mean:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Effect...8452070&sr=8-1

As for God allowing Evil? to me it boils down to this: God’s incarnational love is most purely manifested in God’s gift of free will. (I.e., if choosing NOT to love God and one another is NOT a hard-wired option of our createdness, then our love is not genuine.) Our freedom to choose allows us to act selfishly and even cruelly—thus we are able, even within the scope of God’s perfection, to harm one another even to monstrous, global degrees.
    My original question, of course, conveniently overlooks what some have called “natural evil”—the hurricanes and tsunamis and earthquakes and such that also cause suffering. That, for me, is the bigger “why.” In my better moments (rare as they are) I’m able to frame that question as one of my limited human perspective: I may not be able to see the loving-kindness in the hurricane, but I trust that for eyes not so firmly rooted in flesh as mine, these questions are more moot.....

Just a nickel’s worth....

: )
    D

--

"'Nonviolence has never worked' is not a logically honest conclusion when there has never been a serious mobilization for it, with planning, strategy thinking, and education like the military does, with budget for strategic studies and training, with investment in building skills and esprit de corps, and with readiness to sacrifice lives in the struggle."
    --John H. Yoder

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What makes one think Hurricaines, Tsunamis, Earthquakes and Volcanoes are evil. They are just occurances that happen on this planet. Same is true of Floods (except one of note). Evil is in the hearts of men, not the working of God or the events of the planets and stars.
    You could say people dying is evil. It isn't it's just an occurance there have been very, very few people who did not die recorded. For most of us it's just something that will happen, only the where and how varies.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What about people who murdered someone? They don't necessarily agree with you.
    Since when does knowing right from wrong prevent someone from acting in contradiction to that knowledge?

The point is, if just one thing is ABSOLUTELY right, or ABSOLUTELY wrong, then there must be a God who made is so. Otherwise, it is just your opinion against mine. Or the majority opinion against the minority opinion.
    You are asserting that your standard for what is right and what is wrong is objective and any other standard must be subjective. However, it is only your opinion that the validity of that assertion is true.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since when does knowing right from wrong prevent someone from acting in contradiction to that knowledge?
    It doesn't. Yet some people's definitions of right and wrong differ from yours and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    You are asserting that your standard for what is right and what is wrong is objective and any other standard must be subjective.
    That's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm asking you if right and wrong itself are objective or subjective.

Objective: existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

Subjective: relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known in the mind as distinct from a thing in itself.

If it is subjective, then it can be neither right nor wrong, just opinion.
    If it is objective, then who says it is objective? Who/what makes it objective?

This is a very deep topic and I applaude the originator of the thread.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does right and wrong exist only in the human mind? Or does it also exist outside the human mind? Does it exist in the physical world? In another world?

Think about the consequences of this question. If it exists only in the human mind, and all minds cannot agree on what is right and wrong, then is anything right or wrong?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It doesn't. Yet some people's definitions of right and wrong differ from yours and mine.
    To bring this full circle, it appears that you were asserting that definitions that do not include "God" are merely arbitrary.

That's not at all what I'm saying.
    So, you are NOT asserting that your standard for what is right and what is wrong is objective and any other standard must be subjective?

I'm asking you if right and wrong itself are objective or subjective.
    I believe that there is an objective standard for what is right and what is wrong.

Objective: existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

Subjective: relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known in the mind as distinct from a thing in itself.

If it is subjective, then it can be neither right nor wrong, just opinion.
    If it is objective, then who says it is objective? Who/what makes it objective?
    By definition, something is objective if it is founded in reality. Reality is that which exists.

Does right and wrong exist only in the human mind? Or does it also exist outside the human mind?
    Morality is a human construct. It doesn't float around in the ether.

Does it exist in the physical world? In another world?
    What other worlds exist?

Think about the consequences of this question. If it exists only in the human mind, and all minds cannot agree on what is right and wrong, then is anything right or wrong?
    I think you need to re-think what it means for a person to think objectively. For example, addition exists only in the human mind, but not all minds are able to calculate the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Does that mean that everyone is correct or that no one is correct?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To bring this full circle, it appears that you were asserting that definitions that do not include "God" are merely arbitrary.
    Absolutely not.

So, you are NOT asserting that your standard for what is right and what is wrong is objective and any other standard must be subjective?
    Absolutely not. I'm not that arrogant.

I believe that there is an objective standard for what is right and what is wrong.
    Who/what makes that standard?

By definition, something is objective if it is founded in reality. Reality is that which exists.
    What if two people disagree on what reality is? Can absolute reality be known?

Morality is a human construct.
    If so, do I have to follow some other human's morality? Or can I make my own?

What other worlds exist?
    None that I know of.

I think you need to re-think what it means for a person to think objectively.
    I'm willing to do that. I'm not trying to be right. I'm only seeking the truth.
    For example, addition exists only in the human mind
    How do you know that? Doesn't one apple plus one apple equal two apples regardless of human minds?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Absolutely not.

Absolutely not. I'm not that arrogant.
    I am not sure where we are going with all of this, so I’m going to back up for a moment. Earlier you stated: “If there were no God, then there would be no evil, or good, no right or wrong. There would just be our own personal opinions.” You then asked: “Without God, who is to say that murder is wrong?” One could infer at least two premises from that question and the brief statement that preceded it. The first is that a belief in God is necessary to have an objective standard of what is right and what is wrong. The second is that those who do not believe in God do not have an objective standard for what is right and what is wrong (i.e. their moral code is merely arbitrary or subjective). Are those two inferences correct?

Who/what makes that standard?

What if two people disagree on what reality is? Can absolute reality be known?

If so, do I have to follow some other human's morality? Or can I make my own?

How do you know that? Doesn't one apple plus one apple equal two apples regardless of human minds?
    An objective standard of morality is not made, but rather one that is founded in reality. Reality is that which exists.

People routinely disagree on what reality is or what exists, but does that mean that everyone is correct or that no one is correct? Of course not. On the other hand, asserting that you cannot know anything except that you cannot know anything is a contradiction in terms.

You possess free will so you can do whatever you choose to do. If you choose to live, then there are certain things that you should do and not do.

How do I know that addition exists only in the human mind? I know the difference between “abstract” and “concrete”. Apples exist independent of human minds, but addition does not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One could infer
    1. a belief in God is necessary to have an objective standard of what is right and what is wrong.
    2. those who do not believe in God do not have an objective standard for what is right and what is wrong
    Are those two inferences correct?
    Actually those 2 inferences are the same. But yes, that is what I believe. However, I am willing to listen to your viewpoint and answer your questions. And I am willing to be proven wrong. Can you do the same? Are you able to answer my previous questions?

An objective standard of morality is not made, but rather one that is founded in reality. Reality is
    that which exists.
    This is rather vague. Can you please explain? Morality is reality?

People routinely disagree on what reality is or what exists, but does that mean that everyone is correct or that no one is correct? Of course not. On the other hand, asserting that you cannot know anything except that you cannot know anything is a contradiction in terms.
    On this, we agree.

You possess free will so you can do whatever you choose to do. If you choose to live, then there are certain things that you should do and not do.
    Once again, why should I believe you?

How do I know that addition exists only in the human mind? I know the difference between “abstract” and “concrete”. Apples exist independent of human minds, but addition does not.

Einstein might disagree with you.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually those 2 inferences are the same. But yes, that is what I believe.
    So then, it does appear that my earlier comment (i.e. “You are asserting that your standard for what is right and what is wrong is objective and any other standard must be subjective.”) was indeed very close to what you were saying. (You had initially replied: “That's not at all what I'm saying.”)

However, I am willing to listen to your viewpoint and answer your questions. And I am willing to be proven wrong. Can you do the same? Are you able to answer my previous questions?
    The implication that I have not listened to your viewpoint or answered your questions is false.

This is rather vague. Can you please explain?
    I’ll try. This discussion revolves around what is “right” and what is “wrong”. Independent of a standard, things cannot be judged as “right” or “wrong”. Some believe that standard to be God's word... it is right to behave a certain way because God wants them to behave that way. Others believe that standard is life... it is right to behave a certain way because it allows them to live. If we believe that our behavior has relevance only in reality (i.e. that which exists), then we should follow the standard that is founded only in reality. No doubt that both sides would present an argument as to what is real (i.e. that which exists) and whose standard is founded in reality.

Once again, why should I believe you?
    You are implying that you have asked this question previously. You need to clarify on which point(s) you disagree.

Einstein might disagree with you.
    Is this your way of stating that you believe abstractions do not exist? If not, you need to clarify on which point(s) you disagree.
    Last edited by 1968; 12-27-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: sp

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    More than that, I came away convinced that all men are capable of great evil.

Thomas Merton spoke of this.

Referring to the Holocaust he said something about the capacity of ordinary men to occasionally do great harm and only the Grace of God standing between them and evil.

I will try to find the citation.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Credit: http://the-malaysian.blogspot.com/

Is there a recurring theme here? That the landmarks of civilization (i.e. ethics; altruism; morality; justice; "do unto others as you would have them do unto you") can be explained only upon the foundation of God? That's like inferring the existence of Michelangelo from the observation that "my house is nicely painted, inside and out." It's absurd.

If certain posters were more confident in their avowed faith or religious convictions, they would be less in the habit of slinging words around like the morning's hashbrowns; less dedicated to the waterboarding of the English language through the posting of opaque constructions and deadend syllogisms, all in pursuit of their holy grail of "proving" God.

If God could be proved, they wouldn't call it "faith"; i.e. we wouldn't use "faith" as a customary shorthand for "religious conviction".

But there's never a shortage of Plato wannabes ...

For those questions that are small enough (like the origins of altruism), look to Darwinism for the answers ...
    "It could very well be that altruism is a behavior that has been held over from a much earlier time," explains Lee Dugatkin, Ph.D., a professor of biology at the University of Louisville and the author of The Altruism Equation: Seven Scientists Search for the Origins of Goodness. Specifically, a time when the only people you saw [during] your entire life were the members of your own hunter-gatherer clan.

"If you saved someone's life under those conditions, you were very likely saving a blood relative," says Dugatkin.
    The hidden cost of heroism; Christopher McDougall; November 2007; MSNBC.

Prove God? Not feasible, for those who perceive that "everything from rape to religion is bred in the bone through the process of [Darwinian] evolution" ...
    In the 1970s, evolutionary biologist Robert Trivers published five immensely influential papers that braided genetics into behavioral biology, using a gene's-eye view of evolution to explain behaviors from bird warning calls to cuckoldry to sibling rivalry to revenge. According to David Haig, a Harvard professor of biology and a leading genetic theorist, each paper virtually founded a research field. ''Most of my career has been based on exploring the implications of one of them,'' says Haig. ''I don't know of any comparable set of papers.''

Trivers's ideas have rippled out into anthropology, psychology, sociology, medicine, even economics. His work provided the intellectual basis for the then-emergent field of sociobiology (now better known as evolutionary psychology), which sought to challenge our conceptions of family, sex, friendship, and ethics by arguing (controversially) that everything from rape to religion is bred in the bone through the process of [Darwinian] evolution ...

Trivers's work grew out of an insight made by the Oxford biologist William D. Hamilton, who died in 2000. In a 1964 paper, Hamilton proposed an elegant solution to a problem that had rankled evolutionary theorists for some time. In a battle of the fittest, why did organisms occasionally do things that benefited others at a cost to themselves? The answer, Hamilton wrote, emerged when one took evolution down to the level of the gene. Individuals were merely vessels for genes, which survived from generation to generation, and it made no difference to the gene which organism it survived in.

According to this logic, the degree to which an organism was likely to sacrifice for another should vary in direct proportion to the degree of relatedness: Humans, for example, would be more likely to share food with a son than a second cousin, and more likely to share with a second cousin than someone wholly unrelated. Hamilton called the concept ''inclusive fitness.''

In 1976, the Oxford zoologist Richard Dawkins would popularize Hamilton's ideas in his book ''The Selfish Gene.'' But more than anyone else, it was Trivers, then a graduate student, who grasped the profound implications of Hamilton's work. In a way, Trivers's legendary papers of the early 1970s were simply a series of startling applications of [Hamilton's] logic ...
    Genes as gods; blog entry; March 2005; BrothersJudd.

Ends with a thud.

What's more fun than a barrel of fatwas? How about OptiBoarders weighing in on the CIA waterboardings of terror suspects . . . "Git" some here.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 12-28-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’ll try. This discussion revolves around what is “right” and what is “wrong”. Independent of a standard, things cannot be judged as “right” or “wrong”.
    Yes, and I'm trying to figure out if there is an absolute standard from any source, or if it is open to opinion. You said morality is a human construct. I am human, can I construct my own morality?
    Others believe that standard is life...
    This is where you lose me. Can you use another word instead of life?
    it is right to behave a certain way because it allows them to live.
    This leaves things pretty wide open.
    If we believe that our behavior has relevance only in reality (i.e. that which exists), then we should follow the standard that is founded only in reality. No doubt that both sides would present an argument as to what is real (i.e. that which exists) and whose standard is founded in reality.
    If that's all there is to morality, then nothing stops me from making up my own morality.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, and I'm trying to figure out if there is an absolute standard from any source, or if it is open to opinion. You said morality is a human construct. I am human, can I construct my own morality?
    You're equivocating on the use of "construct". “Human construct” = an abstraction (i.e. does not exist as a physical entity).

This is where you lose me. Can you use another word instead of life?
    “Living”, “being”, “existing”? Not merely living, being, or existing, though, but rather the action of self-perpetuated existence. Reminds me of something Shakespearean...

This leaves things pretty wide open.
    If that's all there is to morality, then nothing stops me from making up my own morality.
    Really? I think you underestimate what it means to be founded in reality. How long do you think you could live to follow your moral code if you ignored reality? To the extent that you follow reality, you live. Don’t believe me? Try eating rocks for dinner or ignoring gravity.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're equivocating on the use of "construct". “Human construct” = an abstraction (i.e. does not exist as a physical entity).
    I'll rephrase the question. Is there a moral standard? If so, what is the source?

“Living”, “being”, “existing”? Not merely living, being, or existing, though, but rather the action of self-perpetuated existence.
    It sounds very complicated. Is this your own theory?

Really? I think you underestimate what it means to be founded in reality. How long do you think you could live to follow your moral code if you ignored reality? To the extent that you follow reality, you live. Don’t believe me? Try eating rocks for dinner or ignoring gravity.
    You say that I cannot make my own morality because morality is founded in reality. Is that what you're saying? Can you clarify just a bit more? I'm beginning to understand you.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'll rephrase the question. Is there a moral standard? If so, what is the source?
    A “moral standard” is that by which “right” and “wrong” are judged. Is there a single moral standard? No. I think it is obvious from our discussion that our standards are different. Consequently, the “source” of our standards are different. Are you attempting to clarify why I choose to follow my standard and not the one you have chosen?

It sounds very complicated. Is this your own theory?
    I believe we are starting to experience thread drift. I’ve re-read the thread for context and I’m not clear on what you think I’m presenting as theory.

You say that I cannot make my own morality because morality is founded in reality. Is that what you're saying? Can you clarify just a bit more? I'm beginning to understand you.
    I think it would be more accurate to say I’m saying this: "Free will gives you the capacity to follow the moral code of your choosing (at least for a brief time); however, if you choose to live in this world, you should choose a moral code that will allow you to live in this world."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there a single moral standard? No.
    I think we're getting somewhere.
    ...the “source” of our standards are different.
    Do you know the source of your standards? If so, what is it?
    you should choose a moral code that will allow you to live in this world.
    Thanks for your direct responses. I'm really understanding you now. You say there are many different moral codes and it is up to you to choose the one that works for you. There is no single moral standard.

I'm still in doubt though, as to how you know you are CHOOSING the right moral code. I think part of the problem with our society today is that we have taken your viewpoint too far. Almost every group or individual chooses their own definition of what is right and wrong. There must be something that is absolutely right or absolutely wrong, regardless of what we think.

Is abortion right or wrong?
    Is birth control right or wrong?
    Is assisted suicide right or wrong?
    Is gay marriage right or wrong?
    Is drug use right or wrong?
    Is free speech right or wrong?
    Is spanking children right or wrong?
    Is divorce right or wrong?
    Is murder right or wrong?
    Is pornography right or wrong?
    Is war right or wrong?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If I'm not mistaken, 1968 is an existentialist- at least a lot of the viewpoints seem to fit into that philosophy.

I happen to believe in absolute right and wrong- the best phrase I've found to describe it is "Only truth is true, just like 2+2 can only equal 4."

The caveat that I've learned over 39 years (and am still learning), is- although only truth can be true- my understanding of truth is fallible. Therefore, I would say I'm an "absolute existentialist" (my own term). While I reject that right and wrong is actually defined by my experiences and viewpoints, I would agree that my understanding of right and wrong is. Its not unlike math- which is precise and absolute. Equations can only result in one correct answer- my ability to arrive at the actual right answer, however, is limited by my experience with the mechanics of mathematics.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think we're getting somewhere. Do you know the source of your standards? If so, what is it?
    Yes. That which is real (see below). Do you know the source of yours?

Thanks for your direct responses. I'm really understanding you now. You say there are many different moral codes and it is up to you to choose the one that works for you. There is no single moral standard.
    People have different moral codes and follow different moral standards, but I never said: “It is up to you to choose the one that works for you.” I said that if you choose to live in this world, you should choose a moral code that allows you to live in this world. Whether or not you feel that they are “right” to do so, do you believe that people have different moral codes and follow different moral standards?

I'm still in doubt though, as to how you know you are CHOOSING the right moral code. I think part of the problem with our society today is that we have taken your viewpoint too far. Almost every group or individual chooses their own definition of what is right and wrong. There must be something that is absolutely right or absolutely wrong, regardless of what we think.
    If you think my viewpoint is that people should arbitrarily define what is “right” and what is “wrong”, then you are sorely mistaken. I’m not sure how many times we have to go over this but things are not right or wrong independent of a standard. You cannot determine what the right moral code is independent of a standard by which to judge right or wrong.

You have one fundamental choice in this world… to live or not to live. If you choose not to live, then the only thing you need do is die. If you choose to live, then there are things that you must do to maintain your life (i.e. that which is “right”) and there are things that you must not do to maintain your life (i.e. that which is “wrong”). Prior to knowing what is right or wrong when dealing with other people, you need to know what is right and what is wrong when dealing with the world around you. You need to know, or at least try to know, that what is real and that what is not real. Fundamentally, what is “absolutely right” or what is “absolutely wrong” depends on what is real and what is not real. And, yes, I think we can know that which is real… and I believe you agreed to that in post #87.

Is abortion right or wrong?
    Is birth control right or wrong?
    Is assisted suicide right or wrong?
    Is gay marriage right or wrong?
    Is drug use right or wrong?
    Is free speech right or wrong?
    Is spanking children right or wrong?
    Is divorce right or wrong?
    Is murder right or wrong?
    Is pornography right or wrong?
    Is war right or wrong?
    With such epistemological differences, do you really think we are ready to discuss this many examples all at once? Why not start with something easy first: Is it right or wrong to separate that which is real from that which is not real when faced with moral decisions?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, 1968 is an existentialist- at least a lot of the viewpoints seem to fit into that philosophy.

I happen to believe in absolute right and wrong- the best phrase I've found to describe it is "Only truth is true, just like 2+2 can only equal 4."

The caveat that I've learned over 39 years (and am still learning), is- although only truth can be true- my understanding of truth is fallible. Therefore, I would say I'm an "absolute existentialist" (my own term). While I reject that right and wrong is actually defined by my experiences and viewpoints, I would agree that my understanding of right and wrong is. Its not unlike math- which is precise and absolute. Equations can only result in one correct answer- my ability to arrive at the actual right answer, however, is limited by my experience with the mechanics of mathematics.
    Although I think the various well-known existentialists are all over the map, I can see how there might be some overlap. I think you've made a great observation. You, Landlord, and I all appear to agree that truth is not subjective, but still we may come to different conclusions on what is true because we are not omnipotent and our means of knowing and understanding is fallible.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there a single moral standard? No.
    Things are not right or wrong independent of a standard.
    Those statements are clear, but appear to contradict your next statement:
    Can you solidify your opinion in one short sentence?
    (The source of my moral standard is) that which is real.
    I'm still having trouble understanding this statement.
    Do you know the source of yours?
    God.
    I said that if you choose to live in this world, you should choose a moral code that allows you to live in this world.
    Taken literally, this statement allows me to do anything I want aside from killing myself. If not meant literally, then how?

You cannot determine what the right moral code is independent of a standard by which to judge right or wrong.
    Amen. Now, what is the source of this standard?

I have to be honest, you don't seem too sure of what you are saying.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't get me wrong, 1968. I'm not arguing with you. I'm assuming you are more educated than I am. I also assume that you have at least a 50/50 chance of being right in your opinion. The problem is, you don't seem to know what you believe. Or at least, you can't state is plainly enough for me to understand.

I want you to convince me that I am wrong. But until then, I still must believe this:

1. The moral laws of this earth were created by God.
    2. Without God, there can be no moral law, only moral opinion.

Thread Information