Thread: VSP fee filing question

Occupation
    Optometrist

VSP fee filing question

I'm looking to raise our prices will also need to do the VSP update thing.

I always get confused with VSP though. When they ask for your U&C price and average cost (from a lab) for CR39 in SV, FT, TF and PAL, are you wanting your calulated markup (U&C - cost from lab) to be higher or lower to get you a higher reimbursement?

Thanks!
    -Steve

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Higher markup. They base their payouts on a flat percentage of your U&C. They have a max cap for each area.. but if enough people show similar or at least higher markups than their cap, they will raise it.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For VSP your Usual and Customary should be high. Remember you can charge $500 for an exam to all your patients but each Insurance VSP, Eye Med, United Health CCare, Aetna, etc will only pay on the contracted rate. For your cash customers- not using any insurance you can discount whatever you like. Your Exams fee and all product fee must be the same across the board to everyone, Itf your VSP exam billed is $500 VSP will only pay you the make for your area less the copay if anyponsible for the difference.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you update your fees you should have your regular lab's price book in hand. Even if you are at a discounted rate use the top price that they charge for a lens and then calculate your retail fee as if you did pay that top price. I just re-did ours and the difference is going to add up pretty quick.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    When you update your fees you should have your regular lab's price book in hand. Even if you are at a discounted rate use the top price that they charge for a lens and then calculate your retail fee as if you did pay that top price. I just re-did ours and the difference is going to add up pretty quick.
    This contradicts Jubilee's statement that you want your profit to be as high as possible. In her example, you want to give the lower of the rates your paying for lenses.

Any comments?
    -Steve

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I attended a VSP seminar and this topic came up, the representitive focused on the mark-up. If you think about it, cost of the lenses doesn't really matter to them, cause they use their own negotiated rates anyway. It is the markup that represents what your usual profit is, and thus will calculate your "dispensing" fee.

I redid ours early this year. I used our typical Lens cost, and our new rates..making our usual lens mark up almost 1.5 times what it was since the last update (3 years ago)

The difference is adding up quite quickly. We are averaging about $25 more per patient...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    This contradicts Jubilee's statement that you want your profit to be as high as possible. In her example, you want to give the lower of the rates your paying for lenses.

Any comments?
    I agree with Jubilee. In order to get the highest reimbursement, you want to provide VSP with the lowest price you pay.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought you might want them to consider the higher wholesale. Our dispensing fees went up when I did this.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I thought you might want them to consider the higher wholesale. Our dispensing fees went up when I did this.
    But did you also raise your prices when you did this?
    -Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All this is what infuriates me with VSP. My last office took VSP for about 7 years (we droped it in 2001). We had no idea that you must do a song and dance to get reasonable reimbursement. They make no allowance for an office that already discounts, to a degree, their services. They cut you xx percent on a reimburesement. Back then, they were giving us almost half what other offices in our area were getting from them. They sure don't reward you for effciency! I am so glad I don't take it here.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you look at your filed fees over multiple years, I think you will find that they reimburse you a certain percentage of your U&C dispensing fee... up to a certain amount.

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    They sure don't reward you for effciency!
    No, they don't. To an extent, I have figured out VSP's song and dance and I would say it has contributed to the increase of fees in our office.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    But did you also raise your prices when you did this?
    For some things yes. This was part of an overall price change on certain items and services that was overdue. Many things stayed the same or very close to the same. Exam price was raised.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This tread has really re-inforced to me why I don't take VSP. They seem to make it so difficult that even you guys and gals that take it can't seem to figure out how to get paid what you should.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    This tread has really re-inforced to me why I don't take VSP. They seem to make it so difficult that even you guys and gals that take it can't seem to figure out how to get paid what you should.
    Well maybe, but don't stop posting. I'm sure VSP is hanging on every word to see how they can close the loopholes even more.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't think it's that complex, I'm just making sure I've got it right in my head. I think we're already maxing the reimbursements out, but we need to keep posting our charges so we can eventually get better reimbursements.
    -Steve

Thread Information