Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivewear Lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Drivewear Lenses

What have been some of your experiences with Drivewear. We currently sell them in our office. But we are getting some mixed feedback. I have a set and really enjoy them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a pair and really like them. I have not sold any as of yet. But, I keep trying.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I really like them. Hard for me to find a customer that's that niche oriented this time of year.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    LOL, we just sold our first pair to a patient last week. :)
    Great profit here, since we marked them as SV+Transition+Polarized
    Sold it to a golfer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

6 months ago

6 months ago when i said i didnt see much in the future of the drivewear lens i got smacked by everyone. Funny how things change.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You didn't get smacked by me. Nobody likes a psychic.

When I predicted in 2003 that invading Iraq was a Vietnam type mistake, I was villified. No one remembers that I was right.

I love my Drivewear, and I think many people would like it. But the cost and the specificity of it are just too much.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    You didn't get smacked by me. Nobody likes a psychic.

When I predicted in 2003 that invading Iraq was a Vietnam type mistake, I was villified. No one remembers that I was right.

I love my Drivewear, and I think many people would like it. But the cost and the specificity of it are just too much.

I mentioned this once when the lens was created. It should have been lisenced and sold specifically as part of the Serengeti line. Perfect plano.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are things i consider with any product I look to retail. wholesale/retail/market segment/exposure etc. The more people i can sell it to the more likley i am to bring it into the store. I loved the splitz lenses, i knew they would never really fit much of the market. A lot of these lenses seem to be toys for the opticians to play with. If frame reps didnt comp. us most of us would not bother with half of these "great lens ideas". A lot of lens devlopers/designers/manufactures seem to forget that we are selling these items to people that have no idea how to care for them and basically dont care about taking care of their eyewear regardless of how much they spend. How many 3 month old Chanel frames do you see come in stuffed in a purse all scrached up or as someones headband, so streched out they would fit a basketball.

When you get a new car, for the first year or so you wash it and detail it regularly. When the same car is a couple of years old you stop careing. It dosent get washed very often and might get vacumed out every couple of months etc.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Everyone needs to broaden their horizons on these lenses. Golfers love them. So do boaters - at least here in the ever changing weather we call Michigan. Yes they are great for driving, but think about anyone that could be out in varied weather conditions - these lenses work well in overcast days and sunny days.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good point. I see a number of people in that catagory. Golfers, Boaters, Hobbist Bikers, people that have the means to buy and do buy multiples. The feedback I got wasent great. They felt the lenses were only filling 60% of what they needed them for.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've sold 2 of them; both to truckers,and they loved them.

The one guy sent two of his employees in, but they both decided they weren't worth the $$.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You sold 2 pair? But they only come in CR-39. I thought it was all poly, all the time, 365 in your shop??

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    The one guy sent two of his employees in, but they both decided they weren't worth the $$.
    At least it made those polarized look cheap.
    Last edited by MarcE; 10-23-2007 at 11:53 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I mentioned this once when the lens was created. It should have been lisenced and sold specifically as part of the Serengeti line. Perfect plano.
    Serengeti has an amber photochromic polarized lens. It's glass. With all the hype about this being the "first" we could forget that a polarized lens has been available in photo brown for a while in glass. The catch is this is the "first Transitions" polarized lens.

Interesting point. The only pair we sold so far was a plano.

I agree that golfers are the better niche than drivers. They are prepared to spend on speciality items. Drivers still want to look cool.

So I guess that I will have to wait for the Drivewear lens to be offered in Trivex (for safety), and in Definity (because golfers need ground-view advantage.;)

On another note. My 2nd pair of Drivewear have a storm grey gradient tint over. So instead of the eeew! what kind of lens is that. I got some compliments on the "cool" color. And then I can talk about how it gets darker, the brighter the sun gets. It does look good, but it may be too dark for some. I have light colored eyes and like the darker shades.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have sold at least a dozen pairs, some in plano and some in Rx SV and PAL. All the feedback has been great. Most common comment was they loved the lens because they could where the lens all day, no matter what the light condition was.

Last I heard from Younger on poly was Q4 2007 or Q1 2008, with 1.67 and Trivex to follow.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a pair and loved it

acutally sold a pair of PAL to a man who is light sensitive even to indoors and he love it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Everyone needs to broaden their horizons on these lenses. Golfers love them. So do boaters - at least here in the ever changing weather we call Michigan. Yes they are great for driving, but think about anyone that could be out in varied weather conditions - these lenses work well in overcast days and sunny days.
    Spoken like a green sage with big ears.

I love my pair more than any other sugnlass I've had. We don't sell alot, but we do sell them.

We've done 12 since about this time last year. Those who have them love them though.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like mine a lot, but the color is funky to look at when they aren't their darkest. I feel like I see better through them, especially on overcast but bright days.

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I love mine, so does everyone I know that owns a pair. Younger does have a new video loop DVD available that may help sell the product. If you are interested you can contact your Younger rep for a copy. You can also view the video here: http://www.laramyk.com/products/lens...ear-video.html

-Keith

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drivewear was a good idea. Now if they could just get it to go back to clear indoors we might have something. Two of our employees have a pair and love them but then of course they have several pairs of glasses to "play" with. If you have patients that buy multiples Drivewear is a shoe-in. But many patients are still seeking that elusive "one pair does everything for me" lens that of course does not exist.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I wear some frames with clip-ons (try to get MY Rx in polarized!!!:angry:) and I always remove the regular planos and replace with Drivewear.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I wear some frames with clip-ons (try to get MY Rx in polarized!!!:angry:) and I always remove the regular planos and replace with Drivewear.
    That is a GREAT idea. Or maybe order an extra clip to have one of each.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Drivewear was a good idea. Now if they could just get it to go back to clear indoors we might have something. Two of our employees have a pair and love them but then of course they have several pairs of glasses to "play" with. If you have patients that buy multiples Drivewear is a shoe-in. But many patients are still seeking that elusive "one pair does everything for me" lens that of course does not exist.
    Um.... if they went to clear, they could no longer be polarized.:finger:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=DragonLensmanWV;211050]Um.... if they went to clear, they could no longer be polarized.:finger:

Sometimes my ideas get ahead of me.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Drivewear

... goes great with those VSP plans that cover polarized and Photochromic.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

DriveWear

Is DriveWear advised to be applied with AR coating? Thanks.

Thread Information