Thread: My new web page

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My new web page

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Clean......but something missing.

Very clean and modern design.

I hate websites with a flash entrance............they are noisy and take long to download if you dont have a fast network access.

If you want to get listed fast provide for more interesting text than visual action, which is jazzy but not liked by the web crwalers.

I have not figured out if you are a retailer or frame wholesaler.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Very clean and modern design.

I hate websites with a flash entrance............they are noisy and take long to download if you dont have a fast network access.

If you want to get listed fast provide for more interesting text than visual action, which is jazzy but not liked by the web crwalers.

I have not figured out if you are a retailer or frame wholesaler.

I agree - a lot of high-tech people don't like Flash and some low-tech people don't even know what it is.
    That said, our website has a short Flash animation to start, BUT there is a button to click to bypass the Flash. I would recommend you do so also.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks..

Thanks for your input...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I agree - a lot of high-tech people don't like Flash and some low-tech people don't even know what it is.
    That said, our website has a short Flash animation to start, BUT there is a button to click to bypass the Flash. I would recommend you do so also.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    That's the way to do it, have a flash intro if anything and a way to bypass it for people who don't have teh time to wait or a fast connection. I would also recommend a javascript browser/plugin checker, that way you can redirect a viewer to the correct version of your pages so they will always be served content quick, you could also opt to allow the viewer to pick which version of the site the want to see.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You might consider modifying the bright colors and heavy graphics. These go against readability (you are trying to communicate something!) and affect those with slower connections. We are encouraging our customers to order online, and I am surprised how many say they have NO internet access or just dial-up.
    I wonder if your web designer likes including different elements just because they are there rather than because they help accomplish the purpose of your site.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Look at other websites...................

You might also look at other optical websites from manufacturers to retailers. I compiled a list of 636 optical websites at http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    1. The Flash intro splash page should automatically take you to your home page. Secondly, the Flash object should be a link to the home page; you shouldn't have a separate link below it. (Your Flash intro is huge, and the tiny "Enter" link won't even show up in most browsers without scrolling.)

2. Never tell visitors to use to a specific browser (in particular, Firefox). Design to web standards and check the performance of your site in the major browsers and platforms.

3. As Doug noted, the color scheme is visually intimidating. I would consider toning it down. If this is the color scheme of your company, I would make the elements smaller then. If this site was created from one of those Flash templates, I would look for a different color palette. Secondly, I'm a bit surprised that your graphical elements don't really convey a sense of fashion, vision, eyewear, etcetera.

4. I generally recommend against the use Flash for the primary content, for a variety of reasons. If you're attached to it though, you might consider either an HTML-only alternate site, as Dragon suggested, or at the very least adding a row of HTML menu links at the bottom of the page.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I think it's dreadful. I'm not being mean, just brutally honest. When I first opened it the bottom part of the screen was not entirely visible so I didn't see the part where you press to bypass the flash intro. So I stood staring at a screen for a while before I realized there's a way out. Also, when it starts up, the annoying music came on and startled me because I didn't realize my speakers were turned on that loud (most websites don't have forced music). The colors are bordello-like: intrusive, jarring, disturbing. Ultimately, it's not really clear from the content what you guys actually do?? Redo this website and good luck.

Thread Information