View Poll Results: Global warming: Which of the following best represents your views?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global warming exists (primarily due to human activity).

26 60.47%
  • Global warming exists (not primarily due to human activity).

10 23.26%
  • Global warming does not exist.

5 11.63%
  • Not sure.

2 4.65%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Global warming: Which of the following best represents your views?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Global warming: Which of the following best represents your views?

Related poll: "Did Al Gore deserve to be awarded the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize?" http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25490

Related thread: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...global+warming

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It exists primary to human activity. Just look at the high density of smog in areas with a lot of cars.

Occupation
    It exists primary to human activity. Just look at the high density of smog in areas with a lot of cars.
    I agree with the growing number of reports, including the U.N. sponsored reports, that global warming is real, imminent and driven primarily by human activities. But one has to be careful not to oversimplify the issues. Smog, for example. To some people "smog" would include particulate matter like soot or smoke particles - even if that is not within the technical definition of "smog". A number of scientists who review the data say that over the last twenty to forty years, the global warming trend attributable to greenhouse gas emissions was being masked because widespread soot and smoke particles in the atmosphere were reflecting away some of the sunlight and providing a certain counterbalancing cooling effect. Ironically, as soot and smoke emissions were reduced in the global effort to improve urban air quality standards, the visibly clearer skies around the world translated into an acceleration of the global warming trend.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think it's a natural occurance that man is helping with.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 10-12-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: nasty typo

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

St. Gore The Protector

British court rules Al Gores Inconvenient Truth is filled with “serious scientific inaccuracies, political propaganda and sentimental mush.” So if you think you can balance your need for unbiased truthful information on which to base your opinion with rhetoric so loose that a court ruled a disclaimer to address its inaccuracies prior to viewing is necessary then understanding reality may be more of a challenge for you than you are capable of undertaking.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...&partner=MYWAY
    Last edited by AngryFish; 10-12-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add words

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryFish View Post
    British court rules Al Gores Inconvenient Truth is filled with “serious scientific inaccuracies, political propaganda and sentimental mush.” So if you think you can balance your need for unbiased truthful information on which to base your opinion with rhetoric so loose that a court ruled a disclaimer to address its inaccuracies prior to viewing is necessary then understanding reality may be more of a challenge for you than you are capable of undertaking.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...&partner=MYWAY

I'm not so sure that everyone who believes that global warming may be influenced by the action of humans is taking their cue from Al Gore.

Occupation
    Ok, as the lone (for all practical purposes) right wing conservative crazy here (besides my friend Chip) I'll bite......

I am not saying the planet it not changing but I think it is fair to say that over long periods of time it does that. I think about the Ice Age and the glaciers and the fact that you can look back at periods in history and see that there have been huge changes in climate and weather that occured in times when there was much less "man" happening to cause those things to happen. Do I think we should do our best to take care of the planet? Yes. Do I think we don't take all the measures we could to take care of it? Yes. I have to say that I think the term "global warming" has become politicized in a way that makes people like me take it less seriously.

I think even if we were all gone tomorrow the planet would still change in the way that it is-perhaps not at the current rate but change it would.

I also think Al Gore is a knucklehead but he did invent the internet and internal combustion engines so I guess he deserves a listen....:shiner:
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Global warming exists, only a small percentage is due to human activity.
    Al Gore is an idiot that has found something to hang his hat on and get
    attention.

A single volcano (which no one has yet found a way to blame on Western industialism) contributes 90% more to global warming than all of mankinds efforts.

Local (like L.A.) conditions are due to mankind and should be delt with.

All polution of lakes, streams and rivers should be delt with immeadiately.

Chip

Acid Rain burns my Bass.

Occupation
    Chip, also lets not forget about the significant deforestation over the last couple hundred years. With that done, and the increase of CO2 gases, it has to have a significant affect on the atmosphere. I think it is a lot more mankind's fault than natures.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The deforrestation seems to be a problem in South American Rain Forrest.
    Actually the latest studies show that grass gives more atmospheric oxygentation than trees. Responsable lumber people (Like Werhauser for example) plant more trees than they harvest) trees are a renewable resourse.
    I don't know what the situation is where you live but here we can't keep trees and other vegetation from growning. You can clear a field, do nothing, leave it alone for two years and it is no longer clear, it's full of trees and underbrush.
    Be not afraid a single 40' tree releases enough oxygen for 5 people, we have millions upon millions of them.
    God will take care of you.

Chip

And yes I do think that attempting to get the South American forresters smart enough to stop fire farming for land that is useable only one year would be a very good thing. But then if they could read they wouldn't be third world.

Funny thing about this, I have a number of patients from Gyana and other SA countries that tell me how good they had it and how things have gone to pot since they got rid of those that had them as colonies (i.e. the British and French). The tell me they had free education (including higher education, free health care, etc.) and now that they govern themselves (read put in thier own dictators like Chavez) the found the need to leave as nothing worked.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [quote=karen;209403]Ok, as the lone (for all practical purposes) right wing conservative crazy here (besides my friend Chip) I'll bite......

I am not saying the planet it not changing but I think it is fair to say that over long periods of time it does that. I think about the Ice Age and the glaciers and the fact that you can look back at periods in history and see that there have been huge changes in climate and weather that occured in times when there was much less "man" happening to cause those things to happen. Do I think we should do our best to take care of the planet? Yes. Do I think we don't take all the measures we could to take care of it? Yes. I have to say that I think the term "global warming" has become politicized in a way that makes people like me take it less seriously.

I think even if we were all gone tomorrow the planet would still change in the way that it is-perhaps not at the current rate but change it would.

There ya go - you admit that us humans have at least some effect on it.
    And I also think that if it were say, Rush Limbaugh saying all that you would undoubtedly believe it all the more.
    I agree and I don't think anyone is saying that there haven't been cyclic changes in the past. There's a huge amount of evidence to support that. Problem is all of that evidence proves that the changes happened over a much longer period of time than the current trend. Look at all the pollution we put into the Earth - how can it NOT have any effect?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    I also think Al Gore is a knucklehead but he did invent the internet and internal combustion engines so I guess he deserves a listen....:shiner:
    Another false claim: Al Gore Invented the Internet

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    There ya go - you admit that us humans have at least some effect on it.
    And I also think that if it were say, Rush Limbaugh saying all that you would undoubtedly believe it all the more.
    I agree and I don't think anyone is saying that there haven't been cyclic changes in the past. There's a huge amount of evidence to support that. Problem is all of that evidence proves that the changes happened over a much longer period of time than the current trend. Look at all the pollution we put into the Earth - how can it NOT have any effect?

Well, I think Rush is a pompous windbag and am not likely to believe anything that pill popper says any more than I would believe anyone else. You did just prove my politicized point though.

It took the glaciers a long time to do their deal too.

OF COURSE pollution has an effect on the planet-I am just not convinced it is causing global warming. You can find studies that says it does and just as many that say it doesn't. I am not a scientist so I don't know.

P.S. to Steve, the Gore comment was pure sarcasm-you know me well enough to have guessed that! :D
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here are the facts:

Global warming is happening or it isn't

Everyone agree that there are no other choices? Of course we do.

Why does it always revert to a political discussion? Your political party or religion or country of origin or opinion of Al Gore has no effect on the facts. But for some stupid reason, these variables always seem to enter the discussion.

During Einstein's days everyone was debating whether his theories were true or not, and it was split down party lines, both in Europe and the US.

Seems that most people seem to forget that their opinions have no effect on the facts. So why not study the facts.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The deforrestation seems to be a problem in South American Rain Forrest.
    Actually the latest studies show that grass gives more atmospheric oxygentation than trees. Responsable lumber people (Like Werhauser for example) plant more trees than they harvest) trees are a renewable resourse.
    I don't know what the situation is where you live but here we can't keep trees and other vegetation from growning. You can clear a field, do nothing, leave it alone for two years and it is no longer clear, it's full of trees and underbrush.
    Be not afraid a single 40' tree releases enough oxygen for 5 people, we have millions upon millions of them.
    God will take care of you.

Chip

And yes I do think that attempting to get the South American forresters smart enough to stop fire farming for land that is useable only one year would be a very good thing. But then if they could read they wouldn't be third world.

Funny thing about this, I have a number of patients from Gyana and other SA countries that tell me how good they had it and how things have gone to pot since they got rid of those that had them as colonies (i.e. the British and French). The tell me they had free education (including higher education, free health care, etc.) and now that they govern themselves (read put in thier own dictators like Chavez) the found the need to leave as nothing worked.
    Chip, you go back several hundred years and most of North and South America was forest. Europe had much larger forestation. Yes, we have forestry agents in our area that are keeping the numbers in check, but not to what they used to be. Add to that, the increase in CO2 gas by humans, overpopulation and such, and now we have a problem.

Of course, one volcano going off will cause a lot of CO2 gas. Of course, we have volcanos constantly spewing in Toronto, New York, Chicago, and lets not forget China and India.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Here are the facts:

Global warming is happening or it isn't

Everyone agree that there are no other choices? Of course we do.

Why does it always revert to a political discussion? Your political party or religion or country of origin or opinion of Al Gore has no effect on the facts. But for some stupid reason, these variables always seem to enter the discussion.

During Einstein's days everyone was debating whether his theories were true or not, and it was split down party lines, both in Europe and the US.

Seems that most people seem to forget that their opinions have no effect on the facts. So why not study the facts.
    thank you

We argue about the facts, while we do not create solutions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So here are a few facts.

When you plant a tree, it takes up CO2 and releases oxygen. What happens to the CO2? It is fixed as carbon (mass) in the tree. That is good to reduce atmospheric CO2. What happens when the tree dies? The same thing happens as when the tree is burned - all the carbon is released as CO2. So best case, trees hold atmospheric carbon dioxide for 100 years. Won't save us from global warming. Deforestation and planting more trees than we cut are inconsequencial on a global scale.

Remember the fossil fuels that we rely on to sustain the population is coming from trees, moss, algea, grass and other biomass that fixed carbon from the atmosphere millions of years ago. We are dumping millions of years of carbon into the atmosphere all at once.

Occupation
    The C02 gets turned into energy to help the plant grow. It is not just held by the plant over time, and then released into the atmosphere.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post

point taken, that is why I said I felt the term had become politicized which makes me take it less seriously. You may not know Marc that some of us have been arguing like this for at least 6 years or longer and politics always seem to creep in.

Facts are facts but would you not agree that some of the studies are published by individuals or groups that support certain agendas (some of which are politcal) and that makes them skewed?

I thnk we can all agree that we should take care of what is ours, we just disagree on some of the methods.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Wow! Our founding fathers were wrong???

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Karen

You and Chip aren't alone. I'm right there with you. The Earths cools and heats. Does anyone remember the Mini-Ice Age we had in the 70's? We had "global warming"before the advent of cars, and the major industrial age. Global warming is such a control issue it isn't funny. What a great way to demand people do what the liberals want.(I listen to Jason Lewis way to much-local talk radio). I will spend my money how I want. I don't want to support corn fuel, carbon footprints, work where I want(I drive 45 miles one way)or the need to force companies to achieves pollution reduction that are almost impossible. Can we not be stupid? Yes, we can pick up after ourselves..remember the commerical from the 70's(Keep America Clean). Conserve electricity. We have other options, that don't include fake global warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    Ok, as the lone (for all practical purposes) right wing conservative crazy here (besides my friend Chip) I'll bite......

One last thought. If any one has a question about the "global warming market"read Michael Crichton's book(State of Fear) about it.

Christina

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    Karen

You and Chip aren't alone. I'm right there with you. The Earths cools and heats. Does anyone remember the Mini-Ice Age we had in the 70's? We had "global warming"before the advent of cars, and the major industrial age. Global warming is such a control issue it isn't funny. What a great way to demand people do what the liberals want.(I listen to Jason Lewis way to much-local talk radio). I will spend my money how I want. I don't want to support corn fuel, carbon footprints, work where I want(I drive 45 miles one way)or the need to force companies to achieves pollution reduction that are almost impossible. Can we not be stupid? Yes, we can pick up after ourselves..remember the commerical from the 70's(Keep America Clean). Conserve electricity. We have other options, that don't include fake global warning.

One last thought. If any one has a question about the "global warming market"read Michael Crichton's book(State of Fear) about it.

Christina

Once again, we should look at the facts and not just let ourselves be indoctrinated by biased sources.

Michael Crichton is a fiction writer. Since this is a science based issue, I would suggest something by a scientest, such as Stephen Schneider.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, I think Micheal Chichton, has a Phd. or two in scientic fields and chooses to write science fiction, at which he is rather good. Seems to me I remember Issac Asimov wrote science fiction but had at least one Phd. in science (perhaps that's why they called him doctor.).

I also don't think Michael has a political agenda for any particular party, just feels that "facts" from those who do should be discounted.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 10-15-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: sloppy spelling

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Sky is Falling

I think believing that man is the leading cause of any warming that is occurring is equal in credibility to the notion that if women were in charge politically there would be no war. I seem to remember a hole in the ozone that was about to wreck eminent havoc on the planet - killing, raping and pillaging as it went on its rampage. I recall dire predictions of the end of civilization with the advent of the new millennium and the crash of all things electronic. I also remember a near panic about a rapidly approaching ice age. I know of many highly-educated men, doctors and businessman in their 60’s who began stock piling guns and gold in anticipation of an imminent race war a decade ago. There were fears of cell phones causing brain tumors, Harry Potter and Dungeons and Dragons corrupting children’s minds, Judas Priest music causing murderous behavior, killer bees in a race with fire ants over-running the United States killing thousands, and of waking up in a hotel in a tub of ice with organs missing. And of course, there was also the vast right wing conspiracy, the left wing media bias, the inevitable extinction of the human race by an asteroid, alien abductions and rectal seeding, and a host of other over-stated over-hyped nonsense. But the interesting thread in a lot of it was that the government tried to use many of these “events” to regulate a few more of our freedoms away - all for the sake of protecting us, of course. And of course we are free to overlook the real and pressing tragedies of the world because we are so focused on this esoteric crap that has no significant impact on the pressing needs of the tens of millions suffering this very night. Addressing the serious and dire daily basic needs of millions of living, breathing humans on the planet does not fit so well into our agenda. So let’s all buy a carbon offset and feel good about ourselves so we can avoid confronting some of the true evil and suffering in this world.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks Chip for responding for me:bbg:

If you look in the back of said book, there's a bibliography(sp). His facts are researched, researched, doubled check, and double checked again. Actually all of his books are that way....

christina

Thread Information