Thread: Chip and Chris, you are going to cringe

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Chip and Chris, you are going to cringe

I have one old Chiropractor. First one in town. This guy is +6.00, and has been wearing them in his Titan Flex 60 Eye Frame for over 20 years now. They are glass flat tops, photogreys. I figured he always just liked the frame, and kept buying the same frame. Nope, same lens and same frame. Sure, the frame would always break on him, because it was a 20 year old design, and it could not stand the weight of the lenses. Of course his lenses were full of scratches. But he liked them.

For a while he has been talking about a new smaller pair, PAL, plastic. I cringed every time. He never went through with it.

Anyways, now that I am gone, he has come in, purchased BioFit, Airwear, Alize, Transitions, in a smaller frame. When I heard this, I said that it would not work out. How many trouble variables here? Base Curve, material, clean lenses, transitions instead of photochromic, PAL instead of flat top, a light pair that will feel flimsy to him.

Funny thing, it worked out and he loves them.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    You just never know. I've had the same experience. Probably he just never realized how awful his old glasses were until he got his new ones.

Occupation
    Should mention that he really pushed for this. If it was up to me, I would probably do Trivex or 1.56 flat tops (whatever I could get transitions in) and a smaller frame. But he was the one who really pushed for it, and he was aware of the non-adapt policy.

Biofit was chosen, because of its width and clearness of a PAL.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've always found motivation the key for a patient with years in a FT. to adapt to a PAL.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wave First Cringe...............................

Sure, the frame would always break on him, because it was a 20 year old design, and it could not stand the weight of the lenses. Of course his lenses were full of scratches. But he liked them.
    For-Life...................................You are too young to realize that the old frames were made a lot better than today's models. Furthermore they were designed to carry glass lenses of any weight.

For a while he has been talking about a new smaller pair, PAL, plastic. I cringed every time. He never went through with it.
    Knowing chiropractors and their economic position in society it was definitely not a money angle. They can afford anything they want.

........................................ he has come in, purchased BioFit, Airwear, Alize, Transitions, in a smaller frame. When I heard this, I said that it would not work out. How many trouble variables here? Base Curve, material, clean lenses, transitions instead of photochromic, PAL instead of flat top, a light pair that will feel flimsy to him.
    Having stalled for 20 years was his choice, ...................... not getting a new pair and lenses because the old glasses identified with him.. His wife probably not but I would bet his sons and or daughters must have pushed old dad to get a new look for the last few years until he broke down.

So much for the esthetical reason........................

But he was the one who really pushed for it, and he was aware of the non-adapt policy.
    Having had badly scratched lenses to which he got used, to look through a new and clear pair of lenses of whatever type must have been asimilar expirience like mine last Friday, coming out of cataract surgery and see the world clear and colorful through my left eye.

So I would not blame the success on progressives or Crizal with Alizee, but on the circumstances that led to the new purchase and just seeing clear after looking through the scratched lenses for a prolonged time.

For-Life.......................the ball is back in your court

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've read your post a couple times, and am a bit confused... are you happy that he's changed, cause you actually sound a bit upset lol. Or is it that just plain suprised that he adapted? Either way it's a prime example of some of the things that frustrates me about a lot of people in the field... so the guy's been in the same pair for 20 years. He comes in specificly asking about having a certain product. Had he came to you, he would NOT have gotten said product because you assumed he wouldn't get used to it, and would have been stuck again with something he clearly wasn't fully happy with. The non-adapt policys are there for a reason. Mention progressives to everyone who's eligable for them! Talk to the 80 year old ladies about them! If they're interested, TRY IT. If they can't wear them, oh well. You tried, and now you know. At least your customers know you're letting them know all their options, instead of having someone tell them and have them upset at you for not.

I'm happy he adapted :)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    For-Life...................................You are too young to realize that the old frames were made a lot better than today's models. Furthermore they were designed to carry glass lenses of any weight.
    Chris, this frame is still current. It is one of those frames the company will never discontinue. From it, I can definitely say that the frames I dispense today are better. The spring hinges are better, the screws stay in the frame better, and the solder points are better.

So I would not blame the success on progressives or Crizal with Alizee, but on the circumstances that led to the new purchase and just seeing clear after looking through the scratched lenses for a prolonged time.

For-Life.......................the ball is back in your court

Well the main point was not that you should put these people in PALs with X brand lens and X brand AR. It was more just a funny story where you are afraid of it failing (due to experience) and it didn't.

Are we allowed to have a little fun on here? Or does everything have to be about competition, selling our products, and the "principal"?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I've read your post a couple times, and am a bit confused... are you happy that he's changed, cause you actually sound a bit upset lol. Or is it that just plain suprised that he adapted? Either way it's a prime example of some of the things that frustrates me about a lot of people in the field... so the guy's been in the same pair for 20 years. He comes in specificly asking about having a certain product. Had he came to you, he would NOT have gotten said product because you assumed he wouldn't get used to it, and would have been stuck again with something he clearly wasn't fully happy with. The non-adapt policys are there for a reason. Mention progressives to everyone who's eligable for them! Talk to the 80 year old ladies about them! If they're interested, TRY IT. If they can't wear them, oh well. You tried, and now you know. At least your customers know you're letting them know all their options, instead of having someone tell them and have them upset at you for not.

I'm happy he adapted :)
    No, just a fun story. When he came to me in the past, I would give him the new product. I just would not build up unreasonable expectations about it. I would give him it, tell him the truth, and let him make up his own decisions. Actually, that is what I have done, but he just kept putting it off.

I am very happy he adapted too.

Occupation
    Are we allowed to have a little fun on here? Or does everything have to be about competition, selling our products, and the "principal"?
    No fun for you. :D:cheers: It's Friday of course you can have a little.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    I also have my lunch break, and then 3 hours and 15 minutes left of work before I head on vacation.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Have a good one..................

I also have my lunch break, and then 3 hours and 15 minutes left of work before I head on vacation.
    I see you must be counting the minutes for vacation time. Where are you heading ....................?..............north or south?

Have a nice vacation wherever you go.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Non adapt.............................

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    The non-adapt policys are there for a reason. Mention progressives to everyone who's eligable for them! Talk to the 80 year old ladies about them! If they're interested, TRY IT.
    The reason is in plain language................."sell em to anyone you can" .........if they dont likem here is the warranty.

A warranty is an insurance, and no insurance is a freebie. You are paying for it when purchasing the lenses, calculated into the price, pair by pair. :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's a difference between telling everyone about them, and giving them to everyone. Why shouldn't you tell everyone? Yes it's a business, but that's not the primary reason. Why should you tell one person about these different lenses, but not the other? That's not fair to your customers. Yes, they pay for that lens, and if it doesn't work, they don't get that money back, but if you explain the pros and cons of each lens, and let them choose, that's their decision.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have one old Chiropractor. First one in town. This guy is +6.00, and has been wearing them in his Titan Flex 60 Eye Frame for over 20 years now. They are glass flat tops, photogreys. I figured he always just liked the frame, and kept buying the same frame. Nope, same lens and same frame. Sure, the frame would always break on him, because it was a 20 year old design, and it could not stand the weight of the lenses. Of course his lenses were full of scratches. But he liked them.

Anyways, now that I am gone, he has come in, purchased BioFit, Airwear, Alize, Transitions, in a smaller frame. When I heard this, I said that it would not work out. How many trouble variables here? Base Curve, material, clean lenses, transitions instead of photochromic, PAL instead of flat top, a light pair that will feel flimsy to him.

Is BioFit an Essilor product? I've never heard of it.:hammer:

Jeff

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I see you must be counting the minutes for vacation time. Where are you heading ....................?..............north or south?

Have a nice vacation wherever you go.
    Vegas

It will be less expensive this time, than when I went in Feb. You can guess why.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsoptical View Post
    Is BioFit an Essilor product? I've never heard of it.:hammer:

Jeff
    Canadian Accolade

Occupation
    Had a layover in Vegas about 3 weeks ago. Bizarre to see the slots right there at the gates.

And as to the reluctance of a patient stuck in their ways but not really wanting to, I'll eggo (echo) that waffle within my own experience. It sure makes you feel good when you finally can deliver a bit of "freedom" to someone like that.

+6 PGX in 60 eye....JIMMINY CRIMPUS!

kk

Thread Information