Thread: Slab off question...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Slab off question...

Hello All,
    I've a patient with the following rx: OD -9.25 -3.00 x 180
    OS -5.75 -.25 x 180. With a 10mm reading level I calculate slab off to be 4.75BU OS. Is this correct? Steps taken: Determine power in 90th meridian; dist. from OC (10mm); Prentice's Rule ; difference between the two eyes prism power, and, ta-da 4.75 BU.
    Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can check slab-off on various on-line calculators. Our very own, Darryl Meister has an excellent site with lots of calculators and tools. Check it out here:

www.opticampus.com

Here is another site for slabs:

http://www.robertsonoptical.com/slaboff.cgi

I know this is the easy way out, but it is a good resource. Also, another Optiboarder, OPTIDONN, wrote a great article for Opticourier(EyeCareProfessional). Check it out here:

http://www.opticourier.com/1webmagaz...rner/index.asp

Welcome to Optiboard. This place is great.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No add, no need for a slab off. These patient's just tilt head and read through lens center. However there is a distance in distance image size that may need to be delt with. Patient really should be fitted with contacts for this and field distortion. And for God's sake don't put him in poly. Also do not neglect to measure vertical centers.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with chip, no bifocal, no slab. Assuming you did slab this, you would slab the OD, not the OS. (unless it's a reverse slab, you slab the strongest minus or weakest plus)

One last thing, once again assumung this was a bifocal, and you had 10mm from oc's, youd slab 6d (you've got -6 d difference from OD to OS in the 90)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you for the replys! Where am I going wrong in my math? Add power is a +2.75. I'm figuring OD -10.75 in 90th meridian, os -5.87 soooooo 4.88 BU OS (10mm reading level).
    I'm going to check out the calculator (but just have to know where I went wrong)!
    :)

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylilly View Post
    Thank you for the replys! Where am I going wrong in my math? Add power is a +2.75. I'm figuring OD -10.75 in 90th meridian, os -5.87 soooooo 4.88 BU OS (10mm reading level).
    I'm going to check out the calculator (but just have to know where I went wrong)!
    :)
    Power in the 90 OD -12.25 OS -6.00 Difference of 6.25. Times 10 mm equals 6.25 imbalance. Add power makes no difference. If you rx axis is 180 use the full cylinder power. Show your formula.

I hope if I am ever tested on this they give my an axis of 90 or 180. You can figure in your head.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thank you!

Thanks for the note! I had - well - a senior moment - lets say :-O, and used 50% of cyl power.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hate to rehash an old thread but I was trying to use this calculator and wanted to make sure I understood Reading drop correctly:

http://www.robertsonoptical.com/Slab-OffCalculator.aspx

The Seg Height for the Pal is 21mm but is that also the reading drop?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PAl's are lousy lenses to use slab off on. With the add progressively increasing, you are not going to eliminate the prismatic imbalance throughout the umbilic. Tell your patient they have a condition where PAL's are not a good option and put them in a tri or bi or separate readers/distance. (unless they have had this imbalance long, then they have probably been suppressing vision in one eye already when reading).

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Hate to rehash an old thread but I was trying to use this calculator and wanted to make sure I understood Reading drop correctly:

http://www.robertsonoptical.com/Slab-OffCalculator.aspx

The Seg Height for the Pal is 21mm but is that also the reading drop?

If they're insistant on a PAL, I would use a short channel PAL and see if you can push Distance BD prism in the more plus eye in the 90 meridian. The calculate for residual imbalance. The calculation should be based on a short channel reading depth of 15 not the actual seg ht.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    After reading these comments, I am even more reluctant to fill his RX.....high Anisometropic RX due to penetrating eye injury OS.
    We already explained to them at length that they will most never be happy with the vision in glasses due to the eye injury, resulting anisometropia and displaced pupil.

Even after all this patient decides to purchase a new pair or progressive glasses:

RX
    OD +1.75-0.50x110
    OS +4.00-4.75X034 ONLY CHANGE FROM PREVIOUS RX WAS BUMPING UP HIS ADD BY 0.25 TO +2.50

So what I am gathering is Slab off would not be beneficial for a PAL patient with this RX?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After reading these comments, I am even more reluctant to fill his RX.....high Anisometropic RX due to penetrating eye injury OS.
    We already explained to them at length that they will most never be happy with the vision in glasses due to the eye injury, resulting anisometropia and displaced pupil.

Even after all this patient decides to purchase a new pair or progressive glasses:

RX
    OD +1.75-0.50x110
    OS +4.00-4.75X034 ONLY CHANGE FROM PREVIOUS RX WAS BUMPING UP HIS ADD BY 0.25 TO +2.50

So what I am gathering is Slab off would not be beneficial for a PAL patient with this RX?
    There's not enough vertical imbalance (<1 D) at near for a slab-off prism. However, SVNO eyeglasses should be on the table.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    There's not enough vertical imbalance (<1 D) at near for a slab-off prism. However, SVNO eyeglasses should be on the table.
    Agreed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you for the advice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the advice.
    Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    PAl's are lousy lenses to use slab off on.
    Yup, I've never done it. Their fusional reserves were usually adequate to prevent diplopia, or they were suppressing, and/or they were better of with separates, including PALs for general purpose use and auxiliary SVROs.

But if I had to do it, I'd first measure the reading depth using the "mirror method", subtract the PAL drop (distance from the fitting point to the prism reference point, and use that value to neutralize the induced vertical imbalance at the near reference point. Placement should be about 5mm to 7mm below the bottom of the pupil.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From a previous thread---

mirror method

Hi Mary,

I am familiar with what you are talking about...

The 'mirror method' is great for troubleshooting PALs, especially when the client has some kind of vergence issue, cyclo-dextro phoria, ect...

Here are the steps:

1. put the PAL markings on the lens.
    2. place the mirror (approx. 8 inches square) in the middle of the dispensing table, flat
    3. place a dot in the middle of the mirror.
    4. have client look at the dot, with their eyewear/demo lenses on
    5. carefully mark the demo lens on the patient, while looking in the mirror...this gives you the exact location of where they converge to read, a more subjective method....I would recommend practicing on co-workers first, it is tricky marking the lenses, kind of like a dentist, working upside down and backwards in a mirror.

It could be used to fit PALs off the mono subjective near PD, but that is a bit radical.

: )

Laurie

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...=mirror+method

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    From a previous thread---

mirror method
    Hi Mary,

I am familiar with what you are talking about...

The 'mirror method' is great for troubleshooting PALs, especially when the client has some kind of vergence issue, cyclo-dextro phoria, ect...

Here are the steps:

1. put the PAL markings on the lens.
    2. place the mirror (approx. 8 inches square) in the middle of the dispensing table, flat
    3. place a dot in the middle of the mirror.
    4. have client look at the dot, with their eyewear/demo lenses on
    5. carefully mark the demo lens on the patient, while looking in the mirror...this gives you the exact location of where they converge to read, a more subjective method....I would recommend practicing on co-workers first, it is tricky marking the lenses, kind of like a dentist, working upside down and backwards in a mirror.

It could be used to fit PALs off the mono subjective near PD, but that is a bit radical.

: )

Laurie

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...=mirror+method
    Thanks Uncle Fester, I didn't have time to dig that up. The key here is to draw a horizontal line instead of a vertical line, drawing the line about where I expect the eye will rotate to on the downgaze, and then adjust it up or down as needed for accuracy. Pretty much how I determine the pupil heights and fitting points for PALs. Without the mirror, I would have them stand to read, or sit on the floor when they're reading in a chair, the later somewhat more realistic, but awkward.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Without the mirror, I would have them stand to read, or sit on the floor when they're reading in a chair, the later somewhat more realistic, but awkward.
    Now that's a fitting session I want to watch! Mrs. Pickybritches sitting in a chair with Robert on the floor, sitting between her legs taking a fitting height! (Can I steal that?) " Yes Ma'am, I do need to sit right here...."

Thread Information