Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Optical

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Target Optical

Anyone know anything about target optical? They are opening a super target here in town and it will have an optical so I thought this might be an opportunity....But I cant find too much info about working there as an optician.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Target was Cole, so I'm guessing Lux but I had heard they sold off some of the smaller ventures.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with K.

Still Lux that I know as well.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Locally it's Lux.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just left Lux about 4 months ago, and it was still part of the Giant at that point. They're pretty much the same as Sears, even down to the layout.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd call it a temporary fall back place of employment, but not an opportunity.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Fallback into H#*L

Specs is right, use as a fall back until you find better. IT IS LUX!!! And you will NEVER make them happy. You are and always will be a failure to them---its their management style. Good Luck

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the heads up... I have never worked for luxottica. Unfortunatley here in the high desert, there are no optical labs, and the doctors are EXTREMELY stingy, so if you want to make more than $8.00/hr you have to work retail. I am at costco now and since people pay to shop there, the management lets them abuse you.
    I tried commuting...Two words: LA traffic. Ughhhhhhh.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Believe me. Customer abuse is better than Customer abuse AND management abuse. That's what you'll get working for Lux.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just applied to one, and they are Lux... they WILL UNDERPAY you though. I told them what I wanted (23-25), and she said they were looking around 17-21.. so I suggest you look elsewhere unless you just absolutely need a job..

I'm in Georgia by the way..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Again, if they're like sears, there is a commission ontop of that. I was actually payed quite well at Lux, it was pretty much what kept me there for three years.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by partyoptician View Post
    Specs is right, use as a fall back until you find better. IT IS LUX!!! And you will NEVER make them happy. You are and always will be a failure to them---its their management style. Good Luck

Wow! Sorry you have such a low opinion of Lux. Up until 2 weeks ago I worked for them, had no problem with the H.O., and they paid me more than most doctor's or private optical wanted to pay me. I never felt like a failure until this last set of managers I had, and they won't be with the company much longer because of their behavior that I have enlightened H>O. to.

That I believe is the biggest reason we as opticians get abused by our employers. We don't go above their heads to corporate and enlighten them. If you know your policy manual, and keep track of the problems you have, then Lux Corporate usually takes good care of their employees. Unfortunately in my region, it wasn't just my store management that had gone bad, but the field management as well, so you have to take charge of your career, not trust others to take care of you. There are many good things about Luxottica. They have good product support, great benefits, the Give the Gift of Sight program is a great opportunity to serve both those in your community and to go out in the world and help others see.

I am saying this because I worked for Lux, pre-Lux Cole, private office and came back to Lux. I allowed myself to get fired this last time to wake up H.O. and because it was time for me to move on to more standard hours. I applied to several places, before this current one even offered me above what I had made at LC.

I understand Lux has a reputation for taking over the world, with good reason. But come on, do your research before saying they underpay and abuse their employees. If you were abused by them, then maybe you didn't take all the steps necessary to make sure you weren't. The other side of that is they do have EXTREMELY high quality and customer service expectations. They expect you to provide the best customer service experience possible, and some people find that to hard.

So, to the thread starter, check them out. Target customers are a hard bunch, but they are also a loyal bunch, if you take care of them, they return. Which grows your business, which makes Lux happy.

Good Luck.

P.s. how long you been doing this, and are you ABO, if more than 5 years and yes, go in asking for what you believe your worth. You can always negotiate.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Canaalini wrote:

I understand Lux has a reputation for taking over the world, with good reason. But come on, do your research before saying they underpay and abuse their employees. If you were abused by them, then maybe you didn't take all the steps necessary to make sure you weren't. The other side of that is they do have EXTREMELY high quality and customer service expectations. They expect you to provide the best customer service experience possible, and some people find that to hard.
    I'm glad you had a great experience with Lux, and I understand it is not like working for JC Penny or anything, but from what I saw come in to my dispensary - quality and service were not high on the list of priorities at the LC's near us.

I guess what I'm saying is that no 2 places are alike - regardless of the overall reputation and there is always 2 sides to every story.

Sarah, it looks like you have a new member of the family and right now a better paying job without the commute would be a good thing. You can always handle bad management, bad customers, etc - as long as you don't take it personally.

At the end of the day take with you the knowledge that you have done a job well and don't try to justify your person by the attitudes of others. You will find that no job is all that difficult.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Any place of employment is what you make it. Do a good job and the customers will be back to see you and grow your business.I worked with LensCrafters for a number of years, at the home office was paid well. I found LenCrafters to offer great pay , benefits and opportunities and I thank them for the great opportunities.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    I'm glad you had a great experience with Lux...
    Didn't he/she say, "I I allowed myself to get fired this last time to wake up H.O. and because it was time for me to move on to more standard hours."?

I guess that's considered a good experience w/ Lux!:D

(Unless I'm just reading that wrong...)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Didn't he/she say, "I I allowed myself to get fired this last time to wake up H.O. and because it was time for me to move on to more standard hours."?

I guess that's considered a good experience w/ Lux!:D

(Unless I'm just reading that wrong...)

for the most part yes, unfortunately this last year in my region has been difficult to say the least. I tried to approach from through the "open door Policy", and my GM figured it out, and decided to fire me for reasons, that while technically kosher, were only real on paper. Her real reason for firing me was that I did not put up with her abuse of employees or company policy. She was a manipulative, controlling, lying woman and I wouldn't cow-tow to her. I was in the process of talking with H.O. when she fired me. She actually told me that she thought by firing me I would shut up, or H.O. would quit listening. She was wrong. So while I am re-hirable, and was offered my position back, I chose to move to the private sector.

I made this decision more for personal reasons than because I did not want to work for Lux. I loved working the company, and I loved the GOS program.

basically, having integrity can hurt you in the short run, but if you stick with it you will reap rewards. For me the rewards are two fold. H.O. is noticing the problems my bosses tried to cover-up; and I will be more available to my family.

p.s. I am a she :D...but I like he/she..always found it one of the more humorous forms of political correctness.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    They are owened by luxoticca. They have sales goals. But they also have commission and EXCELLENT benefits. Despite the demands that the company puts their staff through, associates stay with the LUX owned stores (Target, Sears, Pearle, Lenscrafters) because of the benefits.
    I know the Target in Valencia is super busy.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only women and wimps "go over thier heads and report them" real men and women confront thier obsticles and handle them themselves. I often feel very sorry for anyone who has a business with more than two women working there because they are always crying and complaining about the others.
    The lowest form of life is a rat fink.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Only women and wimps "go over thier heads and report them" real men and women confront thier obsticles and handle them themselves. I often feel very sorry for anyone who has a business with more than two women working there because they are always crying and complaining about the others.

Chip
    Yeah when your a jet your a jet all the way from the first cigg............:D Sorry Chip you set your self up for that one.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip

I did confront the situation head on. She decided to personally attack me in a unprofessional way, so I kept going with the open door policy according to company policy. Sometimes confronting things head on gets you no where, so you have to go to the problems boss.

I always confront the problem maker first, and what a incredibly chauvinistic, close-minded thing to say.

Plus, it had nothing to do with the post, which I will admit, neither did my second post, except I was trying to clarify my original stance. If you want to continue this discussion I suggest moving it to a separate thread; or a private discussion. If you want to drop it, which I do, then drop it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=chip anderson;212689] I often feel very sorry for anyone who has a business with more than two women working there because they are always crying and complaining about the others.

Not always the case depending on the women but I once worked at an office which employed six women including myself. Daily drama. No wonder the Doc hid in his office all day. I'm lucky now to have two co-workers(both women)who are great.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bad Manager

I Think Chip Thinks You Should Have Taken Her To The Parking Lot To Settle Things The Old Fashioned Way. Lol

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually think I would have enjoyed my employment at Lux more had I stayed just as an Optician, instead of taking the management position. For all those who complain about their managers giving them flack about sales goals, and such, believe me, the manager is getting it worse. If you're good with customers, and have no problem selling, you will do fine at any lux brand.

(ps, canaanlilli, I really miss the GOS program too, it felt really good knowing you were helping people. My only regret was not being able to go on any outreach visits :( )

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Actually my point was that when men have irreconcilable differences in the work place, they will go out in the parking lot and settle it the old fashioned way. Women don't, so they rat fink.
    With men the boss doesn't have to be involved or even know of such problems.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To answer your original question. I didn't know much about Target Optical til yesterday. But according to a scientific survey conducted by ABC news, 1 out 1 pairs of eyeglasses made by Target Optical didn't have straight segs. That's 100% of their specs out of tolerance! I think.

Expect to see the results published in the Journal of the AOA next month.

Thread Information