Thread: Potentially moving to Ontario...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Potentially moving to Ontario...

So here it is folks, I've been thinking about moving to Ontario, to be closer to my family etc etc. I have one major concern though. As some of you may, or may not know, in Nova Scotia, you do not need to have a contact lens license to be an Optician, they are considered different certifications. I am one of the majority in NS who don't have their Contacts. I know that it's different in Ontario though, where they're grouped together. I've heard different things from different people down here as to how people go about this when they move. I've heard terms like 'Junior Optician' and the like thrown about, but I just don't know exactly what to expect. If anyone has any light they can shed for more, it'd be appreciated.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What city are you planning on moving to?

I am not sure on Ontario law, but if you need your contact lens, go get it. The pay will be well worth it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It would be somewhere between Windsor and Chatham, family in both directions.

As for the contacts, I do intend to get it, I just don't have the income at the moment. I'm barely 22 years old, and am still paying off my loan for my license. Pay wise, again, depending on where I go, it might not be worth it. The course here works out to be about $4000 a year for two years. Wages wise, I might see a $4-5/h raise. Maybe less. So yeah, I'd get it back, and in the end it'd be worth it, but I'm struggling as is :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So no one has any ideas?

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    So no one has any ideas?

WELL YEAH !!! THE MOST OBVIOUS THING TO DO IS TO CALL THE COLLEGE OF OPTICIANS OF ONTARIO

www.coptont.org

would that not make sense ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, obviously, thanks for the link, I was hoping for a quick answer, baring that I would have called.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I might be able to help you out Admiral, but you haven't actually asked a question yet. Can you tell me exactly what it is you'd like to know?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basicly, I don't have my contacts, am thinking about moving to ontario. I know you need your contacts to be licensed. I just want to know if there's a way for me to work there other than just being a 'frame stylist' or whatever you want to call it.

Occupation
    I know there are a lot of Opticians in Ontario who do not have contact lens training (thus they do not fit). I am not sure if that has changed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry if I haven't been clear, but that's exactly what I'm trying to find out. Since I don't have the contacts, what exactly am I able to do? Would I have to be supervised? Or could I do everything except for contacts?

Occupation
    The ones without contacts training here do everything but contacts. There does not even have to be someone in the office who can do contacts (but if there isn't, you cannot do them).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well that's promising! I've been having trouble getting a straight answer, but most people have been leaning towards the 'no contacts, no license' kinda thing.

Occupation
    But like I said, that could have changed and could have been grandfathered through.

Here is the good or bad news though. If you go work for an OD, you have to drop your license. That means that if you are forced to get a contact lens license, you can still work for an OD unlicensed. The bad news is that you will be unlicensed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I got my answer. To be licensed, I do infact need the contacts. If I were enrolled in a contact program, I could dispense as an 'Intern Optician', basicly a student. Not exactly what I was hoping, but I was also thinking about what you said about working for an OD. I'll have to do some further checking, but since I wouldn't technicly be licensed in ontario, I would most likely be able to keep my NS license up to date, so I wouldn't actually have to drop anything... something else to check into either way.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Working for an OD

Howdy!

I live & work near the area you are looking to move.
    It's seems to be a trend lately for opticians going to work for ods. There are several OD's in the area you are planning to go. I would suggest you send out some resumes. You can probably get a list from their college.
    Some of my peers really enjoy working for the OD because of better hours (no weekends) & the ability to confer with the OD one on one.
    The plus for you is that you dont need to be a licensed optician in ON & you can bring a wealth of knowledge & experience to their practise.

Good luck!

Scott

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Scott! I actually work for an OD right now, and I really enjoy it. To say I prefer it over retail would be an understatement. Thanks for the advice. :)

Thread Information