Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ? on any law ?

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Point

Quote Originally Posted by James Herman View Post
    Customers don't share the same rights to their records as patients do, or do they?

I have always called " customers ", customers. They are not your patients. This is a professional "retail" business. You are not a Physican, neither is an OD. They are refractionist. Diagnostics is their game.
    I know, some states allow OD's to treat some problems with drugs, this does not make anyone a "doctor" as in physician, surgeon or Medical Doctor. Now a lot of them advertise "medical eye exams".

In the middle ages a barber was called Doctor of the Short Robe and would also practice bloodletting and some dentistry.
    My insurance man is named "Doctor .......the 3rd, and his son is the 4th.
    His legal name.
    I know a few preachers who are called doctor and have never set foot in a college.
    College's give honorary doctrates to anyone they choose, ie. Bill Cosby, funny man and actor, doctor?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So Andrew...

If you are an optician working in an OD/MD office, and the optical dispensary is an integral part of the office (owned by the OD/MD or by the same legal entity -- corporation, partnership, etc. -- which owns the optometry/opthalmology practice), and the optical records are kept in the same patient record as the exam records, it becomes legally difficult if not impossible to separate out the activities of the dispensary from the activities of the exam-office.
    If a copy of an invoice is in the file is that considered part of the record?

P.S. Nothing says you can't accept and give Season Pass beer slide passes to friends;):cheers: I'll get you buzzed on Thai tea's next time we meet!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    not a Physician, neither is an OD.
    I respectfully disagree Bill. I believe that OD's have earned a doctorate degree, thus giving them the right to call themselves such. Much the same as podiatrist, chiropractors, psychologists, etc. Now the term Optometric Physician I don't care for, but I think they have earned the right to "Doctor". JMHO

Sorry, I know its a tad off thread. My apologies

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    If a copy of an invoice is in the file is that considered part of the record?

P.S. Nothing says you can't accept and give Season Pass beer slide passes to friends;):cheers: I'll get you buzzed on Thai tea's next time we meet!
    OK, James, get me a copy of Texas' laws and regulations on medical records, and pass the beerslide to my buddy Uncle Fester.

And Thai tea always gets me buzzed --- all that sugar, yum!!:bbg:
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

check this out

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I respectfully disagree Bill. I believe that OD's have earned a doctorate degree, thus giving them the right to call themselves such. Much the same as podiatrist, chiropractors, psychologists, etc. Now the term Optometric Physician I don't care for, but I think they have earned the right to "Doctor". JMHO

Sorry, I know its a tad off thread. My apologies

The University of .......[well known] College of Optometry seeks individuals who desire academic challenges and have the personal qualifications to complete our rigorous optometric program. The program is a four year post-baccalaureate professional degree program which admits approximately 100 students annually; fall semester entry only.

Doctors of Optometry are independent primary health care providers who examine, diagnose, treat, and manage disorders of the visual systems and diseases of the eye and associated structures. The scope of optometric care ranges from vision testing and correction to managing complex eye and vision problems and diagnosing the presence of systemic diseases such as diabetes and hypertension.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    College's give honorary doctrates to anyone they choose, ie. Bill Cosby, funny man and actor, doctor?
    At the risk of steering even further away from the original subject, Dr. Cosby does have several honorary degrees, but he earned his Ed.D (doctor of education) from the University of Massachusetts in 1977. Wrote a dissertation and everything.

Graham Chapman, another funny man and actor, was qualified as a medical doctor, although he never practiced.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And my lawyer daughter earned her J.D.(also a terminal degree) after completing 3 years of law school.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    And my lawyer daughter earned her J.D.(also a terminal degree) after completing 3 years of law school.
    So did I. Aw shucks, does this mean you can call me Dr. Weiss???
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy:
    Does this mean that she can treat physiological problems since she has a terminal degree?
    Of course not. Being an O.D. no matter how much time spent at same does not make on a physician.
    Us optician optical types could get a doctorate in optical science or optical physics but we would not be physicians.
    However if we got enough of us with enough money to the legislature we could convince them of this.
    Of course we would still probably have to check specifications on lenses and contacts..

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Judy:
    Does this mean that she can treat physiological problems since she has a terminal degree?
    Of course not. Being an O.D. no matter how much time spent at same does not make on a physician.
    Us optician optical types could get a doctorate in optical science or optical physics but we would not be physicians.
    However if we got enough of us with enough money to the legislature we could convince them of this.
    Of course we would still probably have to check specifications on lenses and contacts..

Chip
    No, but it does mean that she has successfully completed the requirements for a Juris Doctorate, just like Andrew. So, Dr. Canty, or Dr. Weiss, is permissible if not often utilized. A doctoral degree, like Medical Doctor, simply means that the holder has completed the educational requirements of a profession. The doctorate indicates that this is the final (termminal) degree awarded in a specific profession. My son-in-law will complete his Doctorate in Chemistry in April. He'll be Dr. Jones, as is his father, Dr. Jones with the same degree in Chemistry.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree Judy they deserve the respect. As you know my son-in-law graduated with his Doctors of Physical Therapy and he is Dr. David..... according to state law, DPT. That long in school, that expense...they deserve it. At their wedding it was Dr. & Mrs..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really never though of it...at Beth's it was Dr. & Mr....and before their 2nd anniversary it will become Drs. Jones. Sigh....

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman View Post
    That long in school, that expense...they deserve it. At their wedding it was Dr. & Mrs..
    Whatever...

My wife has a PHD in Speech Language Pathology, and although she is, I've never heard her refer to herself as "doctor", although I sometimes refer to her as "Your Highness".

When we got married, it was John & Peggy.

I guess some people need more respect than others.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess some people need more respect than others.
    Point being, they earned it. Whether they choose to designate themselves as such is their choice. Your wife included
    "Your Highness".
    included. My hats off :cheers:!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    'Way off thread, but . . .

It's interesting. My brother has his PhD in French and before he became "Professor" he was referred to as "Dr."

On the other hand, there's only one JD lawyer I know of who called himself "Dr" and we all thought he was a pompous a**.

Go figure.
    Andrew

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    The University of .......[well known] College of Optometry seeks individuals who desire academic challenges and have the personal qualifications to complete our rigorous optometric program. The program is a four year post-baccalaureate professional degree program which admits approximately 100 students annually; fall semester entry only.

Doctors of Optometry are independent primary health care providers who examine, diagnose, treat, and manage disorders of the visual systems and diseases of the eye and associated structures. The scope of optometric care ranges from vision testing and correction to managing complex eye and vision problems and diagnosing the presence of systemic diseases such as diabetes and hypertension.
    Rebutted your own rebuttal - see first three words of second paragraph.
    It's a Doctorate degree. They are Doctors of Optometry and deserve to be called Doctor. Physician is another matter.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    On the other hand, there's only one JD lawyer I know of who called himself "Dr" and we all thought he was a pompous a**.
    ...and he probably was! :D

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The term Dr. is seldom used by professions other than physicians outside of their own profession. Physicians generally call themselves Dr. outside of the office. Those with other PhD.'s are called this (i.e. librarians at a librarian gathering, teachers at a teacher's assn. or in professional contact) for social gatherings ususally they do not. Quite possibly they do not to keep the rest of thier contacts from asking for free medical advise. I have to some degree felt sorry for M.D.'s because almost anywhere they go someone button holes them for advise about thier "condtion."

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Beth was just happy that the JD meant no more school unless she wanted to...now she's talking MBA. I'd like her to get her MOM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The fact is...they are doctors and deserve the title and the respect. Shame on those of you who say otherwise.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doctors deserve the tittle. Doctors deseve respect only if they are honorable men. Education does not (even less so today) instill any
    sense of honor in men.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dr - or 1st name -

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob View Post
    The fact is...they are doctors and deserve the title and the respect. Shame on those of you who say otherwise.
    It shows that many People that have MD- actually thihk they are superior to others -

I have many good friends that are doctors - and it is easily shown - who thinks they are superior to others and who are actually in reality and think as human as equals -

As for the respect issue - yes - I to feel the same - but WITH ONE BIG thing -
    They need to EARN the RESPECT - just because they have some education - does not put up on a pedistal - Yes - within the office - they should ALWAYS be given the respect -and referred as "Doctor so-so - " but outside the office - they need to earn it with me -

I have to laugh - because it is so obv. those with a ego issue - and those who do not have one -

It shows when they INTRODUCE themselves - to others ( Im talkig outside a prof. offce setting "- if they say
    My name is DR. Robins - and not by their 1st name - you can easily tell

many of my friends - and even my personal doctors - tell me to call them by their 1st names - over and over but because they have earned my respect -
    I still call them - DR -
    but others that think are so outright above the rest -
    I make it a point to call them by their 1st names - just to pop their egos - and bring them into the real world !
    i know how it just makes them crazy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't think so....

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Rebutted your own rebuttal - see first three words of second paragraph.
    It's a Doctorate degree. They are Doctors of Optometry and deserve to be called Doctor. Physician is another matter.
    That's what they call themselves.:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

in general the use of "dr"

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob View Post

I was taking about folks who call themselves - "doctor" in general - including those MD ods---- and others -

as for most od's i deal with - they usually do not use that ego phrase DR - all that much - we do call them it in fornt of the pts - but outside that - we are mostly on the 1st name -

but i do see many many - mds - almost insist we call them dr - and that where is see a issue with me -

have a great weekend !

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not exactly full circle, but...

So do we give him the PD & Seg then?:hammer:

Thread Information