Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would these glasses look? (High minus prescription in a big frame for big head)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Just out of curiousity.....what "other eyecare-related field" are you in?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hi - Welcome to Optiboard!

Call your local lab, they can calculate your edge thickness with the measurements that you have given...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Specs-

Maybe you should refresh yourself on the posting guidelines.

Posting Guidelines-

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation."

PS. Most of us professionals on this Forum frown upon patients buying eyewear over the internet. Not a smooth move.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by specs123 View Post
    I've already talked to a few opticians in person. I was impressed with the content on this board, so wanted other perspectives. I'm actually only purchasing the frame off the internet, as I can't seem to find a distributor for the brand in Canada. I'm getting the lenses and having the pair fitted by a qualified optician near me. I would never purchase lenses online.

I'm kind of am asking this question late, as the prescription as already been sent to the lab to have the lenses made, but I'm second guessing on choosing such a frame with the possibility of fairly thick lenses. I'm confident that side view won't look too bad as the frame will conceal most of the thickness, but I'm unsure if the front appearance will have the "ring" effect. Worst case scenario, they do have the appearance of rings, is there anything further I can request my optician to have done to the glasses to get rid of this effect? The lenses will already suppose to have some the A/R coating, so I imagine any further work will involve some type of cutting of the edges, and so would this result in any additional effects by getting rid of the rings?
    Wow, so even after reading over the content on the board and checking out Darryl's calculator, it seemed like a good idea to lie about who you are. Oh and you were impressed with the content but the people must be to dumb to figure out who you are.

Fezz, baby powder my palms I'm going in for a pimp smack.:D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

Fezz, baby powder my palms I'm going in for a pimp smack.:D
    Talc on its way.

****fluff****fluff****fluff****

Prepare to smack. Shall I dust both palms since this consumer obviously doesn't get it?

:D:cheers::D:cheers::D

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by specs123 View Post
    I'm confident that side view won't look too bad as the frame will conceal most of the thickness, but I'm unsure if the front appearance will have the "ring" effect.
    Dear Engineer,

Your "confidence" is impressive. Who cares about the side view anyway? You've got a huge frame, big old fat lenses coming from the lab, and you've solved the reflection problem with the AR coating.

Sounds like you''ve got everything under control!:cheers:

If that side view thing really bothers you, I sell universal side shields that can hide the thickness really well. You can even color them black to match the frame.

If that frame doesn't work out, you might want to cruise some garage sales for a thicker frame. You can even make them thicker yourself, by simply apply numerous coats of polyeurethane onto the sides of the frame.

In all honesty, you're making this much more difficult than it needs to be. I'm known on this board as being a pretty frugal guy, and since you and I have a lot in common (both think like engineers, are concerned how others see us, have tons of money but want to keep it all) I'll share with you the web site where I like to get all my eyewear at:

www.fezzjohnsengineerseyewear.com

Here's a sampling:

These Groucho Glasses have the furry eyebrows and mustache. You'll only find the good quality crap at this website.
    One Size Fits All, $2.25 Each

See what I mean!?! You can't beat that price now can you!:cheers:

Good luck in your search my friend!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Johns NEVER dissapoints!!!!

:cheers::cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i think a -8 would be perfect in glass lenses. cosmetically appealing and extremely light weight. what do you think guys?:bbg:

Occupation
    Poor guy! Hey - if I don't feel 100% confident in the person I'm dealing with because I have left with more questions than answers then I figure it's a sign that I need a second opinion.

In this forum, we are unable to help you directly but maybe if you asked us to recommend someone in your area with some expertise then we could be a bit more useful. You'd be getting a referral from a very discerning bunch of lens geeks so you know that person would be worth the time to go and see!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Get Your Tickets Now!!!!!!!!

Grab your tickets while they last. For ONE show only, our very own Johns will be appearing at the:

Optiboard Laugh Factory

Seating is limited, so act fast!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Fezz is having too much fun with this!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I like to get all my eyewear at:

www.fezzjohnsengineerseyewear.com
    Hey, I went to your website and there isn't anything there! Is this some sort of joke?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IT is clear that many comments about folks in the engineering field ring true OVER AND OVER !! - I am not saying that they are all the same - however - I have noticed - they either
    1- always have questions - comments - and more questions
    2- it is very difficult to make them 100 % happy with their glasses - if not impossible
    there is always an issue - either with the appearance - the optics or esp the price
    3- why is it - many high myopic pts are engineers ?? Does anyone else see this corrilation ?
    4- Why is it that Myopic pts - ( and others as well ) - will tell you year after year that they are planning on getting """ THAT Surgery """ - yet the next year you see them - they still have that -8.00 rx that they want to fill - and what i chuckle at - is when you say - OH - i had thought you where going in for the surgery - you hear time and time again - " OH - I waiting till they perfect it ( they think there is only 1 procedure out there being used & the actual procedures have been being used for over 10 years ) - I love the " I'm waiting for the cost comes down " LOL - LOL - Now dont get me wrong - we have all seen some issues - however this is the exception and not the NORM - and if i was in that circumstance - I would not complain about the side effect of dry eyes or referance the cost - since a bottle of rewetting drops (even if you need to buy a bottle a week )- is much less then 5 years of decent glasses. ( not the 99 dollar specials ) -

So that is just some my Views - what are yours ??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Hey, I went to your website and there isn't anything there! Is this some sort of joke?
    Marc,

My full apologies!

Since it is the weekend, I have been enjoying the BeerSlide a bit longer than usual. I will contact IT as soon as I can see and dial the number!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    I suggest the new cobermite lens. It would be the thinnest and lightest. Also in the instant dark sun version. That's what I'd do.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    No joke!

Our website crashed shortly after I put it on this forum.

Not only have we sold out of the big nose glasses, we are getting low on the high minus side shields, the wacky eyeglass windshield wipers, and the squirting eyeball.

If you can't get through on the web site, just PM me your credit card number, and we'll send you what we think you need.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Back to the FezzJohns Beerslide!:cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

This really sucks!

Johns and Fezz,

I so want to give you guys greenies for making this thread the highlight of my day, but apparently I have to spread more points around before I can come back to you two.

Let me add more beer to the Beerslide instead!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

(Sigh, I'd give you more, but OB cut you off at 10.)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Piffle!
    You call THAT a high-minus?
    That's what I had over 40 years ago!
    I carry that frame, but I had it in the ladies' section.
    If the rings bother you, you can remove the lenses and paint the edges with a Sharpie.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ha!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Piffle!
    If the rings bother you, you can remove the lenses and paint the edges with a Sharpie.
    I thought about that, but doesn't a sharpie have an index of refraction for 9.7, while nail polish, or polyeurethane are both at around 6.3? I think you'd get much better optic from the latter two.

I used to think you know your stuff, but now I'm starting to wonder about you!

:finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought about that, but doesn't a sharpie have an index of refraction for 9.7, while nail polish, or polyeurethane are both at around 6.3?
    I prefer pine tar, optics not terrible, helps hold the lens in, has a very soothing aroma in the summer time, easy clean up.:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I prefer pine tar, optics not terrible, helps hold the lens in, has a very soothing aroma in the summer time, easy clean up.:bbg:

And it gives you that nice camouflage look!

And, Johns, if you use the mini Sharpies, their index is 3.14159265.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Forget about the glass, in any index. If you can afford the 1.74 with the best AR, go for it. That's as thin as it will get. The only way to go thinner is if you're pd is equal to the frame pd.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And it gives you that nice camouflage look!

And, Johns, if you use the mini Sharpies, their index is 3.14159265.
    That would certainly effect the radius.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    IT is clear that many comments about folks in the engineering field ring true OVER AND OVER !! - I am not saying that they are all the same - however - I have noticed - they either
    1- always have questions - comments - and more questions
    2- it is very difficult to make them 100 % happy with their glasses - if not impossible
    there is always an issue - either with the appearance - the optics or esp the price
    3- why is it - many high myopic pts are engineers ?? Does anyone else see this corrilation ?
    1 & 2. You betcha! We have an abbreviation we put on the patient's eyeglass order here, originated with EyeFitWell: "SPE", stands for "self-prescribing engineer." Yes, it's that common.

My experience with engineers is that they approach most of life, including their eye exam and eyeglasses, like an engineering project -- which means they expect everything to be done to really minute and precise tolerances. When their vision isn't exactly "right", they expect we can make it right by tightening the tolerance of error. I wonder if the ODs on this board have problems with engineers in the subjective portion of the exam . . .

3. This is just a guess -- myopes see everything close to them clearly. They can focus easily on detail. I've come to anticipate that my myopic patients will investigate the glasses I dispense to them in detail, with eyeglasses off -- and may see things that I, as a hyperope, don't see as readily. That innate capacity to see detail must translate easily into engineering, where attention to detail is the sine qua non.

Now -- as to Fezz, Johns, and the website:

you guys have to get it up and running, what's the joke without a punch-line??
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Thread Information