Thread: biofit progressives...feedback?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

biofit progressives...feedback?

Anyone worn the new Biofit Progressives by essilor. A rebranded version of accolade in the US. I just ordered a pair for myself and a pair for a customer. Good price point and also available in Freeframe, essilors version of a rear surface free form.
    Last edited by mike.elmes; 09-18-2007 at 05:51 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    Anyone worn the new Biofit Progressives by essilor. A rebranded version of Physio. I just ordered a pair for myself and a pair for a customer. Good price point and also available in Freeframe, essilors version of a rear surface free form.
    Mike, I just found out about this from my old work place. Can you give more information. What is the difference between it and the Ovation ADS?

PS - Please no snide comments. I am looking for information here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now, i've never seen or even heard of the biofit before, but if what mike said was true, it's basicly the physio with only backside digital surfacing instead of both sides... the Ovation ADS is bascily the same thing, only it's the Ovation design instead of the physio, also with backside surfacing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Mike, I just found out about this from my old work place. Can you give more information. What is the difference between it and the Ovation ADS?

PS - Please no snide comments. I am looking for information here.
    I don't recall any snide comments directed toward you or anyone on this board, so not sure what you mean:finger:

The way it was explained to me is that the Biofit freeframe is a lens available in various corridor lengths depending on frame depth. (Essilor calls it freeframe) or freeform as I would call it. The design of the lens(harder or softer) also varies with power. The axial length of the eye, nearsighted longer eye vs farsighted shorter eye, is what determines the hardness or softness of design. In theory, it all sounds pretty good, i'll let you know when I get mine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

accolade ?

I don't recall any snide comments directed toward you or anyone on this board, so not sure what you mean:finger:

The way it was explained to me is that the Biofit freeframe is a lens available in various corridor lengths depending on frame depth. (Essilor calls it freeframe) or freeform as I would call it. The design of the lens(harder or softer) also varies with power. The axial length of the eye, nearsighted longer eye vs farsighted shorter eye, is what determines the hardness or softness of design. In theory, it all sounds pretty good, i'll let you know when I get mine.
    WOULD THIS NOT BE THE ACCOLADE FREEDOM - ? this is the only one - i have seen form essilor that adjusts the pal length and width - depending on the rx ?

Is this the ACTUAL name of the essilor lens ? OR IS THSI A PRIV> LABEL name ? I had looked everywhere on the sites - and it does nto list it - and i even called the essilor lab - and it is not a lens they fill - and they asked me - it is a name - that a particular store sells -

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you are bang on the money!! Essilor in Canada is in a different game than the U.S. They are playing a different game. I get tired of all the closed door big Corporate game playing.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I did not mean for me. I thought this was a good opportunity to find out information, and these type of threads tend to be bombarded with anything but information.

Occupation

That sounds like the accolade and the technology is dubbed "Harmonix". The idea is that because the axial length of myopes is longer they use more of the surface area of the lens so it is important to have wider viewing zones (ie Harder design) and since hyperopes have shorter axial lengths the image is projected on a shorter arc and therefore could use a lens with more gradient power changes (ie Softer).

The accolade freedom is the lens that changes according to the frame requirements.

I would assume that the lens is just a rebranded accolade unless I hear otherwise.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    The idea is that because the axial length of myopes is longer they use more of the surface area of the lens so it is important to have wider viewing zones (ie Harder design) and since hyperopes have shorter axial lengths the image is projected on a shorter arc and therefore could use a lens with more gradient power changes (ie Softer)
    Is this true in practice or is it just marketing spin? I would like to hear from you guys that have dispensed thousands more progressives than me

Softer designs for hyperopes? Could someone name some (other than Panamic)

Harder designs for myopes? Also, could someone name some (other than VIP)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Is this true in practice or is it just marketing spin? I would like to hear from you guys that have dispensed thousands more progressives than me

Softer designs for hyperopes? Could someone name some (other than Panamic)

Harder designs for myopes? Also, could someone name some (other than VIP)
    Geometrically it makes sense. If the axial length is longer than the image subtended over the same angle naturally becomes larger. Same goes for the opposite that the image would be smaller if the axila length is shorter.

Try the www.laramyk.com site Keith has a progressive chart that gives you the design characteristics of the lens. (it's under tools)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has been confirmed, Biofit, and Biofit freeframe lenses in Canada are a renamed Accolade and Accolade Freedom in the US. I'm not sure why Essilor needs to rename products, but I believe the Biofit lenses will be marketed to the costco and WM chains as a type of freeform product at a reduced price of course.

Thread Information