Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who reads this stuff anyway?

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I toss them. I don't feel the information is new or relevant.

One ear a few times, most unusual adjustment was a woman with periscopic glasses used for severe osteoarthritis.
    Last edited by smallworld; 11-23-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The information here is much more current, objective, and comprehensive than any trade magazine I've yet seen.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dang, y'all must be super bored to dig up an 8 year old thread! Not that I'm complaining though...it's fun to read what we were doing back when we weighed 30 lbs less, and had a full head of hair!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think its a better use in the waiting area... kind of like the haircut books at the barber shops..gives the pt more useful info than me

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    I think its a better use in the waiting area... kind of like the haircut books at the barber shops..gives the pt more useful info than me
    No offense, but that's the last place I'd put them. Of course, it's been quite a few years since I've seen one, but they used to have prices in some of them. Plus, it would be my luck that the customer would be saying, " I had some time to browse...your handy magazine here, and I've circled 5 or 6 that I'd like to try on." Of course, you'd have only one of them in stock. On the other hand, it doesn't matter, as I don't have a waiting room!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    If you are going to scan, you want to scan it in as a PDF image with OCR'ed text. Thereson for this is that the article will look exactly like the page you scanned in so pictures and other information on the page that is not exactly text or recognized will still remain. The online OCR (Optical Character Recognition) takes and applies a layer of text tothe document so that you an perform searches withing hte document to find words and information that you need.

Hope that helps, Fezz belive me I have scanned entire books into the computer, it's not only tedious but it's time consuming. I once scanned in 360 pages and on 361 the computer frooze and I had to start from page one :angry:. I now scann 10 - 20 pages in at a time and then later combine the files into one larger document so that I don't have that happen again. If yo were to scan magazines it is not really difficult as when you go through them to actually find and scan the articles you will find that a majority of these magazines are fluff with 15 -25 pages beng actual articles. That isn't too bad. If you happen to decide to do it as a project let me know and you can scan every other month and I can scann every other month and the job gets done in half the time. :D
    thanks, useful information

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Meh, just commercials. I keep them and pass them along - there are some eager , interested people at the shop who want to learn more about their new profession. The trade rags are pretty good for this. As automation takes a bigger and bigger slice out of Opticianry - I just feel better providing what I can for the next generation's curiosity. If I don't - I've devoted my professional life to rotary phone repair.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Since I retired I miss them. They were great for starting a fire in the fireplace on a cold winter evening. Can't thing of anything else.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got tired of having to throw them away so I called and cacelled my subscription.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will say that I do love Invision magazine

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    So, what kind of content and/or other 'stuff' would the ideal magazine have (or explicitly not have)?
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    So, what kind of content and/or other 'stuff' would the ideal magazine have (or explicitly not have)?
    Centerfolds!! ( As long as it's not Fester in his mankini...)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Centerfolds!! ( As long as it's not Fester in his mankini...)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I flip through 20/20 and VCPN to see what is trending in eyewear but I rarely read the articles. Invision magazine I read cover to cover. It is my favorite magazine period, let alone my favorite trade magazine.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I flip through Vision Monday on occasion. It helps to refute some of the doom and gloom posts from Chris Ryser.

No offense at all, Chris. You are a smarter man than I.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post

I flip through Vision Monday on occasion. It helps to refute some of the doom and gloom posts from Chris Ryser.

No offense at all, Chris. You are a smarter man than I.

Very probably I am not smarter, but I might be more observant concerning the optical business and trade on a global scale, and figure out some conclusions on a wider territory.

The optical retail trade is going on a one way street, transformed mainly by E and Lux into optical heaven.

This thread is 10 years old but a lot of progress has been made over that time.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I like to flip through them while at work from time to time, in the rare event there's some time to kill, though honestly why they send them to us I have no idea - I work for a national chain and none of us have any say in what new brand of frame or lens we can offer. They do usually just get tossed, though.

I will say, I was browsing a 20/20 a week or so ago and saw the most obviously photo-shopped on pair of frames in an advertisement... it seems so odd, why not just hire a model to wear your frames? Why photo-shop them onto a model? Or at least, hire an artist who knows how shadows work...

Occupation
    Just because you're working for a national chain today, doesn't mean you always will be.

Part of the reason we made OPT Magazine was exactly because of the bad photoshops and completely disjointed layouts. We wanted a magazine that at least looked good, even if it is full of me rambling incoherently.
    FEA Industries
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    A fair point... I have wild dreams of owning my own little shop, so maybe they're better at targeting me than I thought. That sure won't be any time soon, though.

Re: OPT Magazine, "rambling" is my favorite genre. Just clicked the link and saw that article "The Big Color Theory" -- be still my beating heart! My favorite subject.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like when there is new technology information. So often I get the same old mags and that have what I would call entry level articles. Things that would be good for those that are new to the business, but for those of us that have been doing this for decades (I started in elementary school!), I'm not getting a whole lot out of them. I may flip through and look at the photos of the new frames while I'm on hold with an insurance, but that's about it!

Occupation
    Getting bored with topics seems pretty common. I mean, how many articles do you want to read about "blue light bad!", or "online sales scary!". Hopefully hitting some non-lens topics (like color theory) can have some use, and give people a new way to think about how they approach things.

Plus, I got tired of hitting a dozen frame ads before I even got to the table of contents.
    FEA Industries
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far, I've been very happy. Like I said, a lot of the stuff in the other mags are just frame ads or old stuff. I am one of those weirdos who likes to learn. Physics is fun (yes... my hubbie thinks I'm a bit sick for saying that). The more new stuff, the better. Simplify it so that I can understand it without thinking too hard after a long day with crazy patients, but not too simple that I'm regressing to middle school, and I'm a happy camper. Same thing the CEUs... I no longer attend many classes because it's all old stuff. Sometimes it's about a new product, but the class is more of an advertisement for the product. Also... I've found that some of the people who gave the lectures were a bit too full of themselves.... not naming names!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In the interest of full disclosure, I've had stuff run in 20/20 in the past... But, IME, it's changed (in the process of changing?) from the kind of magazine it was a while ago. There seems to be more emphasis on lens science, optician tips and tricks, general interest, and CE than just pure advertising. For anyone used to it as purely a "trade rag" I'd reccommend a second look.

(It's also not bad as waiting room filler. There's no prices-- just dollar signs from $ to $$$$$ to indicate general price range, the same system Google uses for restaurants. I've had patients pick out frames our ask me about blue light just because they picked it up while they were waiting for their exam).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can I just take a moment to say something about the new issue of OPT magazine?? I literally just opened it and nearly died when I saw the Freeze Frames add. LOVE it! We all got a good laugh out of it. Thanks to whomever came up with that one!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Can I just take a moment to say something about the new issue of OPT magazine?? I literally just opened it and nearly died when I saw the Freeze Frames add. LOVE it! We all got a good laugh out of it. Thanks to whomever came up with that one!
    I gave the designer the link. He was patting himself on the back after reading it. Thanks for the feedback!

PDF Link for those interested: http://www.optmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/PDF/OPT-Winter-2016-Web.pdf
    FEA Industries
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Thread Information