Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My PC is committing slow suicide.

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Version 3

Do the older versions offer the same functions as the 6 and 7 but just allow less user direction or have there been other improvements and they have the improvements bundled in with the loss of control? I like the idea of having more control over what’s going on but I am not that savvy with the technology so I would not want to be able to over-customized and because of my ignorance over- look something either. So far version 7 is better than 6 to me, as far as the options that are readily seen is concerned, but I don't know what the differences underneath are.Edit...I am using System Mechanic 7 Professional I don't know the differences between it and the standard but I have the Incinerator function on my newest version.
    Last edited by AngryFish; 11-04-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add last sentence

Bad address email on file medkoinc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ok if you guys took the time... and done some research.... you would know that #1 Antivirus right now is Kaspersky Anti-Virus.... followed by norton (but norton is a resource hog) .... with kaspersky i can do 3 system scans at the same time and still be able to run photoshop with no problem....and also NOD32 is also one of the best and uses the least amount of system resources ....

so my recomendations
    kaspersky
    http://usa.kaspersky.com/

or

NOD32
    http://www.eset.com/

Mina

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by medkoinc View Post
    ok if you guys took the time... and done some research.... you would know that #1 Antivirus right now is Kaspersky Anti-Virus.... followed by norton (but norton is a resource hog) .... with kaspersky i can do 3 system scans at the same time and still be able to run photoshop with no problem....and also NOD32 is also one of the best and uses the least amount of system resources ....

so my recomendations
    kaspersky
    http://usa.kaspersky.com/

or

NOD32
    http://www.eset.com/

Mina
    Depends on which review at which time. Kaspersky was #1 in March, but is now 3rd. Anyway, Kaspersky has greatly improved over the last two years, they used to have THE WORST GUI of any of them and updating was a real chore. Glad they have gotten better and now it's incorporated into the Zone Alarm software suites.
    I use NOD32 at home and Zone Alarm Security Suite at work. The latest Norton Internet Security has greatly reduced it's system resource load, but it is still more than NOD 32 and about the same as Kaspersky.

And how can you possibly run three simultaneous system scans at once?:finger:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    wait so you use NOD32 at home and Kaspersky/Zone alarm at work ... you basically use the 2 softwares i reccomended??? exactly like i do actually... i use NOD32 at home and Kaspersky 7 at work.....

whose number 1 & 2 NOW?

and Kaspersky 7 has options for like 6+ different scans.... and you can run them all at the same time.... it has critical areas, full system, just memeory, and i can do a custom one . maybe iam wrong.... i'll tell you forsure when i get to work tommorow.

but i remember running a full system and a custom one (which i set to full system anyway) at the same time and ran dreamweaver / photoshop in the background and didnt freeze/crash (and it was on a vista pc dual core amd 2.4ghz)

Mina

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    wait so you use NOD32 at home and Kaspersky/Zone alarm at work ... you basically use the 2 softwares i reccomended??? exactly like i do actually... i use NOD32 at home and Kaspersky 7 at work.....

whose number 1 & 2 NOW?

and Kaspersky 7 has options for like 6+ different scans.... and you can run them all at the same time.... it has critical areas, full system, just memeory, and i can do a custom one . maybe iam wrong.... i'll tell you forsure when i get to work tommorow.

but i remember running a full system and a custom one (which i set to full system anyway) at the same time and ran dreamweaver / photoshop in the background and didnt freeze/crash (and it was on a vista pc dual core amd 2.4ghz)

Mina
    As I said, they are not #1 and #2 now, just improved.
    And why on earth would you schedule it to do each area when one full scan covers it all when properly configured?
    Even with the Norton Internet Security on this particular PC, scans don't cause any delays and this one is not even a dual-core.
    Of course my personal system at home could run Photoshop,render a movie, play a game, and do a virus scan all at once and you'd never know it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    lol i was just testing out the software... i just downloaded it and i was pressing all the buttons to see what they do... and it let me do 3 scans at once....

sorry if i said they were #1 when they currently arent.... i was just trying to make a point that they were good/better than avg

my main question to you is... whose currently #1 and #2?
    and do you agree with me that they are better than avg?

Mina

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I highly recommend running something that checks for rootkits... I was getting some weird stuff happening, and none of the virus & adware scanners found anything real. I finally tried a couple of rootkit scanners, and an obscure DOS command which revealed the hidden rootkit executables.

I wouldn't expect any real help from Dell on this kind of thing; what you need a tame geek who will fix your computer in exchange for a home-cooked meal and a 12-pack of quality beer.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Crap Cleaner

Sounds nasty but it is an excellent free program to download (not a trail version). Just google "Crap Cleaner download" and install it. Do an analysis first so you can see all the garbage slowing your system down. Then you can do a clean and get rid of the demons in your computer.

Always remember good anti-virus software is the best

Check out the free home version of Avast

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    lol i was just testing out the software... i just downloaded it and i was pressing all the buttons to see what they do... and it let me do 3 scans at once....

sorry if i said they were #1 when they currently arent.... i was just trying to make a point that they were good/better than avg

my main question to you is... whose currently #1 and #2?
    and do you agree with me that they are better than avg?

Mina
    I forgot who was recently #1 but CA was #2. Since then, Kaspersky has let two trojans onto one of our computers.So I'm downgrading Kaspersky a bit more.
    AVG is the best FREE antivirus bar none. And their free Rootkit detector and eliminator is tops.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call Kim Komando Saturday Morning.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Call Kim Komando Saturday Morning.
    I'd like to call her anytime.:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information