Thread: Help with prescription sunglasses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Help with prescription sunglasses

I have a problem. About 12 years ago I ordered polarized prescription sunglasses from Orvis (flyfishing outfitter). Prior to these 2 pair of sunglasses, I tried a number of times over the years with various optometrists in my area to get a polarized pair that was correctly made. To no avail, due to an astigmatism in my left eye. A very narrow one at about 85 deg. and 20/400 vision in that eye, none were right. I returned them all.

In 1995 or so, an Orvis catalogue offered to do prescription polarized lenses through a vendor that made the lenses using a computer attached to a robot that was able to grind both glass and polycarbonate lenses with much closer tolerances than any person could. So, I had 2 pair made. A pair to drive in and a pair for fishing. The Fishing glasses are wrap-around glass lenses. This year my current optometrist re-evaluated me and my prescription has changed enough, so I have checked into having new fishing glasses made. Orvis no longer uses that vendor. The current one does not do the robot thing. Orvis will not give me the name of the old vendor. I need to know if anyone knows a lab that is grinding both glass and poly lenses using a robot or some similar or newer technology that can do these wrap around lenses?

Thanks,
    BG.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please consult your eyecare professional, not a catelog.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Oddly enough, the eye care professionals could not make the lenses. I gave 5 of them a try and had 6 pair made. All of those glasses went back. It was the catalogue that came through and I have worn those 2 pair of "catelogue" glasses for 12 years.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like you SOL.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You might want to contact Sports Optical, an innovative company that specializes in making lens for wrap-a-round frames and sports related eyewear. They are located in Denver Colorado and have a world wide following. I’m sure they would be happy to help you.

If there were a “Who’s Who” for opticians, Brett Hunter, the company’s founder, would be at the top of the list for thinking outside the box. He developed his own lens technology and machinery in order to solve the optics problems associated with the sports enthusiasts unique vision needs (shameless plug :bbg:).

Their web site:
    http://www.sportsoptical.com/index.htm

This is an old article that provides a great perspective of the founder’s humble beginnings. They recently expanded and are still growing.

http://www.2020mag.com/ViewContent/tabid/136/content_id/240/Default.aspx

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2963

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    attn: B Greer

You might find what you're looking for by contacting ICE-TECH. Don't take what the website says about the specifics of their lens and frame offeriings as "the last word", because I don't think that it's up to date.

OptiBoard member AWTECH (Allen Weatherby) is the "boss" at ICE-TECH. I suggest that you forward whatever info that you think would be helpful to Allen directly, using one of the options on his member page: Either a "private message" or an "email". (If it were me, I'd probably use the "go crazy folks, go crazy" option and send both, but that's another story ...)

I can't vouch for his products and services personally, not having purchased any to date, but it's clear from his posts that ICE-TECH is being represented as "state of the art" in precision lens surfacing technology.

Quantum physics: Backward in time research goes forward ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-31-2007 at 01:41 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Hi -

Thanks for your reply and your help. I will check this out.

B.G.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I can't vouch for his products and services personally, not having purchased any to date, but it's clear from his posts that ICE-TECH is being represented as "state of the art" in precision lens surfacing technology.
    I can vouch for his technology and it is state-of-the-art optics using point-file technology in a free-form design.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for your help. I'll check him out.
    B.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Hmmmm....1995 computer generating lenses without human intervention. Didn't think that hit our industry until around 2002 or 2003 - thought I saw the first non-human system at OLA in Florida around then. Sounds like Orivs was selling snakeoil back in 1995...but then they have a ton of pull with their faithful readership and I have no doubts many of those readers feel that when Orvis says "jump", they ask "How Hi!" - in other words, if Orvis says the lenses were better, they were.

Mr Greer - In 2007 most labs use generators that require no human intervention other than to put the lens in the chuck so that the automated process of grinding the lens may occur. They generally have edgers that require no patterns and cut lenses to fit most any frame - again without human intervention. All of this is run through various software programs (OptiFacts, DVI, Innovations and many others). Of course as any optician worth his/her salt would tell you - those automated machines are only as good as the optician that's overseeing them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Hmmmm....1995 computer generating lenses without human intervention. Didn't think that hit our industry until around 2002 or 2003 - thought I saw the first non-human system at OLA in Florida around then. Sounds like Orivs was selling snakeoil back in 1995...but then they have a ton of pull with their faithful readership and I have no doubts many of those readers feel that when Orvis says "jump", they ask "How Hi!" - in other words, if Orvis says the lenses were better, they were.

Mr Greer - In 2007 most labs use generators that require no human intervention other than to put the lens in the chuck so that the automated process of grinding the lens may occur. They generally have edgers that require no patterns and cut lenses to fit most any frame - again without human intervention. All of this is run through various software programs (OptiFacts, DVI, Innovations and many others). Of course as any optician worth his/her salt would tell you - those automated machines are only as good as the optician that's overseeing them.
    I'll bet they were just referring to an early patternless edger.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I'll bet they were just referring to an early patternless edger.
    Sort of what I was thinking - as I recall, 1992 brought us the Briot Scanform. The Weco 440 was retrofit for patternless not much after that. The next big step was in 1996 (as I recall) with the Horizon III (second gen.).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Sort of what I was thinking - as I recall, 1992 brought us the Briot Scanform. The Weco 440 was retrofit for patternless not much after that. The next big step was in 1996 (as I recall) with the Horizon III (second gen.).

Didn't Universal also have one around then?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Memory Lane

I was using Weco patternless edgers in the late 80's. At the time, I believe we may have been one of the first labs to us them. The owners bought them at Expo. I think they were basically 440's.

Occupation
    Back in '98 at Homer they were looking into automated robotic equipment from Germany. All the people in the lab were :angry: thinking that one day a machine would replace their jobs, this consequently was right around the time I got out of the industry. :D Lot's of labs use automated equipment now adays and they don't make things more accurate or even turn out jobs quicker, they are just more consistent from what I hear.

On another note I would personally not want my polycarbonate lenses (soft) generated on the same equipment that glass (abrasive) is generated on. I don't think any lab is :hammer: enough to consistently be switching from glass to poly in the same equipment over the course of a days work. That would put a damper on productivity through the generator and the materials require two very different tools to cut so forget what this company told you and:

Step One - Find a good OD for a correct and accurate script (it all starts here go to a doctor you trust and has a good reputation)

Step Two - Find an optician with a great reputation and ask their office if they work with wrap around Rx's? Or call ICETECH and ask for a vendor in your immediate area.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    :pI would say check out where I work....but I would get hollered at.:bbg:

Thread Information