Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Eye Testing Chart

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Digital Eye Testing Chart

Hi all,

I am currently using a light projector for testing vision and doing refractions.

I am thinking of using digital eye testing chart with a LCD monitor.

Anyone using digital eye testing chart? Can you share your experience with these charts? Which is a good software and how much do they cost?

Thanks

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Microsoft PowerPoint. You should be able to buy a copy in Singapore for about a buck. You can make multilingual charts, graphics, Landoldt Rings or whatever and scale the letters for any length lane. You can also play around with contrast or whatever other parameter suits your fancy.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    How do you deal with flipping from screen to screen? Do you basically just use an "up" and a "down" key on a remote?

Occupation
    Hyperlink from a menu.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Microsoft PowerPoint. You should be able to buy a copy in Singapore for about a buck. You can make multilingual charts, graphics, Landoldt Rings or whatever and scale the letters for any length lane. You can also play around with contrast or whatever other parameter suits your fancy.
    Interesting, r u doing that?

Maybe you can send me the program you have done . Thanks. :cheers:
    There is no link. Can you please send the link via pm?

Occupation
    No, I am not doing that any longer. I am retired and spend most of my time fishing, hunting and traveling about. I suppose that I could make up a pps and send it to you but I feel that I would be doing you a disservice. You should really add to your skill set and do it yourself. It’s not much of a challenge.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    No, I am not doing that any longer. I am retired and spend most of my time fishing, hunting and traveling about. I suppose that I could make up a pps and send it to you but I feel that I would be doing you a disservice. You should really add to your skill set and do it yourself. It’s not much of a challenge.
    It was much of a challenge for me. I couldn't get it done right. The doctor is picky, so we bought a commercial version. One of the best investments made. Worth it for the Wow effect alone.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    It was much of a challenge for me. I couldn't get it done right. The doctor is picky, so we bought a commercial version. One of the best investments made. Worth it for the Wow effect alone.
    hI,

can you share with us which commercial software you are using for your computerized test chart?

I have searched the web. In the US i believed most people use Acuity Pro, and the Smart System. In the UK, they have Test Chart 2000.

As there are no distributors in Singapore for the above softwares, i am concerned about the servicing of the product if anything happened.

For these software, do you pay a 1 time license or yearly license?

Also, if your computer were to crash and needs the software to be re installed, do you need to buy a new software or pay additional license?

Hope anyone who has experience with computerized test chart can share your experience 9in using these software) as I am thinking of getting one of those software for my consulting room.

Thanks. :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Win C View Post
    hI,

can you share with us which commercial software you are using for your computerized test chart?

I have searched the web. In the US i believed most people use Acuity Pro, and the Smart System. In the UK, they have Test Chart 2000.

As there are no distributors in Singapore for the above softwares, i am concerned about the servicing of the product if anything happened.

For these software, do you pay a 1 time license or yearly license?

Also, if your computer were to crash and needs the software to be re installed, do you need to buy a new software or pay additional license?

Hope anyone who has experience with computerized test chart can share your experience 9in using these software) as I am thinking of getting one of those software for my consulting room.

Thanks. :cheers:
    We use AcuityPro. One-time payment. No yearly fees. It runs from a USB "key". Once, a computer was stolen and we had to repurchase. But if your computer crashes, there would be no extra cost.

We love it, the patients love it. THe doctor uses the Randomize key alot to keep "cheating" to a minimum. We have 12' rooms. We have an 19" LCD monitor hooked up to the computer (a dual monitor video card is installed) that is mounted on the back wall behind and to the right of the patientat about 5'6" high. AcuityPro will automatically invert for a folded room. You measure the distance and AcuityPro will tell you how large to make the letters in the program. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 17" monitor. It has a little cartoon for kids. You can load educational videos to play for the patients. I can't remember the price, but we will be ordering another one next week.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We use AcuityPro. One-time payment. No yearly fees. It runs from a USB "key". Once, a computer was stolen and we had to repurchase. But if your computer crashes, there would be no extra cost.

We love it, the patients love it. THe doctor uses the Randomize key alot to keep "cheating" to a minimum. We have 12' rooms. We have an 19" LCD monitor hooked up to the computer (a dual monitor video card is installed) that is mounted on the back wall behind and to the right of the patientat about 5'6" high. AcuityPro will automatically invert for a folded room. You measure the distance and AcuityPro will tell you how large to make the letters in the program. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 17" monitor. It has a little cartoon for kids. You can load educational videos to play for the patients. I can't remember the price, but we will be ordering another one next week.
    Hi thanks for the info. I guess you can load the program into as many PC as you like but you can only operate one at a time becuase you need to use the USB key. Can you purchase additional USB key or that will be an entirely new purchase with the software package?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Win C View Post
    Hi thanks for the info. I guess you can load the program into as many PC as you like but you can only operate one at a time becuase you need to use the USB key. Can you purchase additional USB key or that will be an entirely new purchase with the software package?

Software is free to download, you pay for the USB key. The download may only work for 30 days, w/ limited features, I think. I can't exactly remember. Yes we bought a USB key for each computer.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyecuity

I'm not sure what the cost is, but Eyecuity has a wonderful setup. Can be used with your own PC or without. Hope that helps.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

We also use Acuity Pro. The randomize feature is priceless. We actually had someone come in once and started reading off the standard Snellen chart which they had memorized. OOPS!!!!:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file Graham McPartland's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Lightbulb Sharp System Visual Acuity Software

I use Sharp System visual acuity software.

This is software I developed. Free updates & support for life! Version 3 is about to be released...here is more info.
    Last edited by Graham McPartland; 02-18-2008 at 02:36 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Software is free to download, you pay for the USB key. The download may only work for 30 days, w/ limited features, I think. I can't exactly remember. Yes we bought a USB key for each computer.
    Check out Precision Vision Visual Acuity (PVVAT) software. I have compared Acuity Pro to Precision Vision Visual Acuity software and can tell you from personal experience that there is no comparison. For $200 more, you get a vastly superior product compared to Acuity Pro. Even though PVVAT was developed only 2 years back, it is way ahead in functionality compared to Acuity Pro. Good Luck!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Blue Jumper Using Sharp VA in 11 exam rooms...LOVE IT!

I have been using Sharp VA digital visual acuity software for over 4 years (in 11 rooms). It has been a wonderful addition to our practice.

Patients love it. I go from testing to education with a single computer program. I understand that a new version will be released soon, and that it will have SEVERAL great new features. I expect that the price will increase with the new version.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I don't know the exact cost of the sharp and Thanks for the posting....
    http://www.e-datapro.net/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Do Digital Eye charts allow for a smaller exam room?

Bad address email on file Barbaraa's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well, you can go for Digital Optometry’s Spectrum if you like. They offer widest variety of opto-types, chart layouts and new features such as Randomization, Duochrome, Wide Spacing, Onscreen pointers, Wheelchair Button. You can get the Duochrome screens with some unique innovative balancing techniques. You just can install this in your PC or laptop and use.

You can simply pay $ 70 for 14 day trial license and check before you buy the advanced version. If you are willing to buy a yearly license, you will have to pay around 600 dollars and for an unlimited version you will have to spend around 1850 dollars I guess. It is available in Asia (You live in Singapore if I’m not mistaken) and they will b able to help you via their 24hrs contact center assistance.

Before buying any software, read the REAL customer reviews and feed backs. It is important to know about the product properly before you spend a few hundred dollars.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham McPartland View Post
    I use Sharp System visual acuity software.

This is software I developed. Free updates & support for life! Version 3 is about to be released...here is more info.
    I don't like dealing with companies that have no phone numbers, especially when it comes to support. Free support? Maybe, but how soon, and it's all via e-mail?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone else tried any software, other than what is listed above?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Duh.. I answered a post from 2 years ago. Hate it when I do that.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Duh.. I answered a post from 2 years ago. Hate it when I do that.
    No...I did because I'm in the market for more software. I bought some today, I'll let you know how it works. (Much cheaper than Sharp systems)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For anyone capable of using FOSS (free open source software) there is this:
    http://radagast.ca/snellen/snellen.html

I'll be setting it up on a Raspberry Pi with a usb remote. Expect it to cost $250 with monitor, mount, cables, remote.
    I'll write back once I have it tested.

Thread Information