Thread: Frames

OptiBoard Professional

Frames

What do most of you think of the frames coming from Korea and China? I see a lot of these in our large retailers and was wondering what your thoughts were.

:D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Seen only a few frames recently from either country. They are clearly produced to fall in the budget or high profit catagory. If one could avoid the costs of shipping this product as a result of defective replacements, there may be a place for it in the overall marketing scheme in some offices. One day both countries may produce eyewear that is competative across the board.

Bad address email on file

Thumbs down china and korea frames

I am from Singapore in the wholesale business. And to be honest the entire optical industry need to be blamed for the influx of frames especially from China. These frames are not only very inferior in quality but at times poses a great health risk.

Most of the frames from China contains high concentration of Nikel. Their joins are very weak.

In one such case in Singapore a consumer suffered severe injuries when a frame temple broke and pierced her temple.

I recon that frames from Korea are the best value for money. Some manufacturers produce very high quality frames. We have been contracting the Koreans for such frames for many years with no problems. Obviously the Korean frames cost more then the Chinese products.

Offcorse the best coming from Japan.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Coming from one of those "large retailers", most of what we carry is made either in Italy or China. The frames from China tend to be the cheap to lower mid-range ones. The manufacturing process tends to produce a product that easily corrodes, needs adjustment, and occasionally just falls apart (they're especially susceptible to hostile nightstands).
    I think it's not so much a question of whether the Chinese or Koreans are capable of producing better frames, as I'm sure they are, but of whether anyone else would be willing to produce the cheap frames that society demands.

Blake

Thread Information