Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The OAA and Our Future

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dues

Depends on what the dues are spent as , if the OAA would have discussion boards like this one it would be a good plus. If the annual meetings were more than good bye parties for retireing members, it would be a plus. If we got more than "Fellow Polls" with pre decribed questions, like we do from CLSA. It would be a plus. If our E. Mails to the organizations were answered, if the polls and the things we would like to see the societies do were in open discussion instead of paths set out by the powers that be, this might make these good organizations.

If the organization is an elite group that sends out fliers, and organizies parties, $ 65.00 is too much. Both the CLSA and the OAA could have a lot more oportunity for member participation.

As to state associations, I can remember when (at that time you could buy our legislature for $ 5.00 a vote) I told our state assn. I would glady pay $5000.00 just for a license to continue doing what I was doing. At that time we had some very rich members and I was a salaried peon, and did I get anyone who would help support this, No!

Chip (Wish we had a smiley face sticking out his tounge) Anderson.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,

Check the smilies to the left of your message screen when you post repies for what you are looking for.
    :p

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by eddege
    "maybe the State Leadership Conference's theme should be "CHECK YOUR EGOS AT THE DOOR!"

Cindy:

That's exactly what we're telling everyone ... check you egos and your weapons at the door and come prepared to work hard on affecting change. Complaining is over. It's time consuming and unproductive. Let's start putting that energy to use in a positive way.

As far as defining opticians, it's not as complex as it appears. Just search for all the things we have in common and you'll see that there's plenty that binds us. Optometry licensing laws are very diverse but somehow they manage to cope.

Only we can change the status quo. The time as come for change. I hope everyone will be a part of it.

Ed De Gennaro
    I agree with all you have said here, Ed. Unfortunately, it isn't reality. We have a lot of in-fighting in our community. Even among our own profession. I applaud your optimism and I guess as has been said we cannot change without voices crying for change! I must admit I belong only to the NAO. I mainly do that for the discounted materials. I get a newsletter and have no idea after reading it what exactly the NAO does. I want to be a part of an organization that will listen to me and keep me informed as to what they do and decide in my behalf. If indeed the OAA is that kind of organization, I would be glad to join!

So let me know when it gets there!

~Cindy

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are associations out for us or thier own existance?

The OAA, the CLSA and all of our other organizations must
    1) Allow low cost access for entry level to below intermediate personell. I have worked at a number of places where only the owner could afford to take off and attend meetings, supposedly to relay the info to us peons. Of course he never got around to relaying the information.
    2) We need to stop regarding educational material as proprietory, It's really nice when some of us can go around on the weekends and get a paid trip, and VIP treatment. But we need to video tape all this wonderfull knowledge and make the tapes available on a rental or buy for less than $ 10.00 per course. We are opticians, we are not in the business of education, but we help our own with same.
    3)We need to be asked what we want the organizations to do for us, not be told what our benevolent elders have decided is the best road for us to take.

O.K. Let's hear from the opposition.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-22-2001 at 02:14 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Are associations out for us or thier own existance?

Originally posted by chip anderson
    The OAA, the CLSA and all of our other organizations must
    2) We need to stop regarding educational material as proprietory, It's really nice when some of us can go around on the weekends and get a paid trip, and VIP treatment. But we need to video tape all this wonderfull knowledge and make the tapes available on a rental or buy for less than $ 10.00 per course. We are opticians, we are not in the business of education, but we help our own with same.
    Chip, Connecticut has minimum continuing ed requirements in order to renew licensure. Those "Super Sundays" in CT are important to us. However, it is not a paid trip; we pay an admission fee.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by cah2020

We have a lot of in-fighting in our community. Even among our own profession. I applaud your optimism and I guess as has been said we cannot change without voices crying for change!
    You are right Cindy! We aren't all going to wake up one morning and be overcome with this vast feeling of brotherly and sisterly love for one another and everything will be organized and well. I do think more of us share common goals now than in the past so we can come close to organization. It is just a matter of getting our diverse group of professionals to get together and sharing our ideas. Chip's third point is a good one: "3)We need to be asked what we want the organizations to do for us, not be told what our benevolent elders have decided is the best road for us to take." If we aren't all a part of these organizations, then the association leaders can't know what everyone wants or needs.

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just join

Well...last month I realized that I was NOT a card carrying member of the OAA. Somehow it slipped my mind. I have been active in annual Leadership Conferences, but ooooooops forgot to join in financially as an individual member. So I joined.

What did I receive in return? A prompt response to my membership and recognition as a member of the OAA, a voucher for one free hour of an ABO correspondence cec course, a membership certificate to hang on my wall, assorted discounts and information on Distance Learning and Legislative strategies.

While some of the "perks" will never be used, I do know that a portion of my contribution to the OAA will be used for the infamous annual OAA LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE. This is one benefit most OAA members do not even realize. Monies well spent, in my opinion.

Cheers to Eddege for taking on yet another leadership role in molding the future of Opticianry and well wishes to future state societies and leaders accross the country.

I hope to see you in February.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi, all . . .

Great conversation going here. In my travels I've seen a lot of state society meetings. And, after the meetings I attended with my host we would go for the proverbial cup of coffee at Denny's. (Slightly different type of beverage in Texas!). All too many state societies are being untruthful to themselves about what they set for objectives. They lack people, financial, etc. resources. In itself, they shouold be working on just those deficiencies before becomming viable voices of their memberships. OAA already is aware of its past problems and is actively reversing the negatives. In the grand scheme of things all opticianry, whether it actually IS ONE community or if not CAN ACT LIKE IT IS . . . should be prepared to access each other to accomplish its objectives. When February roles around, I would hope that each state society representative enters the room with a true assesment of his society's current condition, knows what his society needs to do to strengthen its base, and offers itself as a limited resource to OAA. And, likewise, I would hop OAA, after solidifying its assessment and knowing its present available resources, offers them to state level. If in February, just that much is accomplished, its a win/win. There is NO chicken or the egg here. Work needs to be done simultaneously and within a spririt of mutual support, not simply cooperation. I am a transplanted Californian. And, over the last 35 years I have seen that society go up and down like a roller coastr. Not enough true assessment, not enough support to correct it. Typical Californians.... health juice, brussel sprouts and fake bakes! (I graduated John Burroughs High School in Burbank. I have the right to pick on my own kind!)
    It would be a shame to see the leadership skills we now have, go it alone again. That sucks. 'Gotta change our ways. Now! Take off the blinders. This is a community. Not just one way . .. every way.
    (Ed....I never got an app!)
    The IOC simply is not up and running at this time. But, it looks like when the main organizations (State and OAA) are in place and moving in concert, the IOC, if blessed with just that one task of public communications, as expressed so perfectly by Jo, will have plenty on its plate. . . . state, national, fake bakes and all! Run on sentence . . .
    S'cuse the plug for JB High School, '62!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by cah2020

So let me know when it gets there!

~Cindy
    Cindy,
    I was with you until this last sentence. No organization will ever have any thing to show anyone without dues paying members. 1700 or so licensed Opticians in VA are allowing slightly over 100 OAV members to shoulder their work. 65,000+ Opticians in the US are allowing less than 10% of their number shoulder their work through OAA and other organizations. The real absurdity is that Opticians believe that OAA can represent our profession for $23.00 a head. That's the dues paid per state association member to OAA. We complain about the "old boy network" controlling our interests, yet that network contributes the major portion of OAA's income. However, if just half of the Opticians in this country paid individual dues, $65.00, OAA would have an income of almost $2 million. If every licensed Optician in VA would join OAV, $95.00, we would have working income of slightly over $161,000. A lot of work can be accomplished with that kind of funding at both state and national levels.
    Please don't wait until we get there, without you we never will.
    Judy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy,
    Perhaps you can answer mine and Jo's original questions which led me to make that statement.

What exactly do we (joining members) get for our $65.00? What do we get for the money we pay? Do we get to vote or do others vote for us? Do we get any say into the decisions which are made for us? I have no problem joining, but I want to know what I get for the money I am spending.

We haven't been able to get anyone to answer this question for us.

~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy, I'll try. In addition to the tangible benefits Jackie mentioned in her post, there is the opportunity to become an advocate for Opticians on a national basis. Do you have an individual vote, not at this time, but that is not to say that it won't happen in the future. If you are an active member of your state association, your designated state association delegates vote your states positions at the Delegate Assembly held at the National Convention. If you are an Honored Fellow or a firm member, then yes you have an individual vote. You cannot be represented, nor can your views and visions be voiced if you're content to protest from the outside at any level.
    Now, it's my turn. What do YOU want from our national organization and what is a fair price to ask for it?
    Judy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: cah2020

Please forgive me if I come across as cavalier or I "wax" philosophical (there's a joke in there someplace I'll tell you some day!). I've been in and around opticianry so long I was offered money to show my ABO Certificate it next to the Declaration of Independence! I have seen too much failure. Our Moment of Truth is comming . . . opticianry is faced with competitive and parallel professions that can and will replace us unless we act quickly and with decisivness.

When you pays your nickel you are buying a piece of the rock. It's your ticket to walk in and make a difference. You will not be getting a free set of Ginsu knives, phone card, discount card, or anything else like that. You will be, in your own way, funding the organization and strengthening whatever you invest in. You also get to be heard, and along with your investment, you get active in making change happen. You may have invested in a new chair that you might occupy as the prresident some day. But, your help, voice, and money are needed.

Bye

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: To: cah2020

Originally posted by Alan W

When you pays your nickel you are buying a piece of the rock. It's your ticket to walk in and make a difference. You will not be getting a free set of Ginsu knives, phone card, discount card, or anything else like that. You will be, in your own way, funding the organization and strengthening whatever you invest in. You also get to be heard, and along with your investment, you get active in making change happen. You may have invested in a new chair that you might occupy as the prresident some day. But, your help, voice, and money are needed.

Bye
    Alan,
    In my defense, and maybe I misunderstood your post, I wasn't looking for ginsu knives, phone cards, or discount cards! I was looking to get my voice heard. I have been part of many organizations and boards of directors where I wasn't given a voice. People voted for what they felt without any input from the masses. (Judy, I know you are going to crucify me for this!) I want to be sure (and I will be more than happy to put my money where my mouth is!) that my voice is heard!

I want to be assured that the changes being made involve polling the group for input and direction. I want to know that the people who do vote, do so for me. I don't feel that is too much to ask.

Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Judy Canty
    Cindy, I'll try. In addition to the tangible benefits Jackie mentioned in her post, there is the opportunity to become an advocate for Opticians on a national basis. Do you have an individual vote, not at this time, but that is not to say that it won't happen in the future. If you are an active member of your state association, your designated state association delegates vote your states positions at the Delegate Assembly held at the National Convention. If you are an Honored Fellow or a firm member, then yes you have an individual vote. You cannot be represented, nor can your views and visions be voiced if you're content to protest from the outside at any level.
    Now, it's my turn. What do YOU want from our national organization and what is a fair price to ask for it?
    Judy
    Judy,
    Thanks for the information! I want an organization that gives me a voice! As I posted to Alan, I don't like people making decisions that I have no input over. I want to be assured people are speaking my words and feelings! That would be worth GOLD to me!

~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy,
    Until you're an involved member, you won't have a voice. As a former member of various boards and organizations, I'm sure you understand that often compromises are made for the overall good of the organization and its constituents. Will an organization do exactly your bidding, probably not. But active membership will at least put you in position to make your opinions and desires known.
    Judy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To:Cindy

I'll ask you to excuse my sick demented sense of humor. I come from an era (Oh, my God, I'm admitting my age. sorta!) when people had to get what we call "premiums" for spending, joining, etc. So, you've just had a taste of "THE SIXTIES"! No personal issue here.:o

As Judy stated so well, and I borrow from, there is little possibility that any dues will automatically "buy a voice." And, this industry is no exception.
    For the last 4 months I have been displaying my voice, losing my temper, speaking out far too much, shooting my foot off just after sticking it in my mouth, and aggravated the arthritis in my fingers to boot. :hammer: I am paying and haven't even invested yet. No complaint . . . I pray that the wonderful changes in OAA and the soon-to-be-birth of IOC, FNAO, and ABO, will streamline the process of putting opticiary back on the map. You have a cause, I'm sure. I do, too.

When I go to that Job Coach (A sixties thing, again!) in the sky , I hope the inscription is NOT . . . He Took Great PD's . . . I just hope I helped lay a new track for opticianry to run on. You speak with conviction . . . that's good. We need it. Thanks
    :cheers:
    PS....Are you sure you don't want the Ginsu knives? Real sharp, nice handles...cuts paper in mid air....free! (Can't get rid of the damned things!)

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier OAA

Any organization that has the track record of the OAA should feel ashame of being in existance! I have never seen anything pro optician really being sponsored by them. If there are 26K opticians nationwide why is it so many few have decided to join? Let me second guess their opinion. The OAA has done NOTHING for them.

Even their newsletter is BORING.

Opticians dont care about the entering president or the exiting looser, they want to hear what is going on nationally. Opticians want to know about pending legislation at the national or state level. What have they done to put any Pro optician legislation in Washington? Have they impacted the patients bill of rights? Have they ask any of their members to support this or that version of the bill that would be pro optician?

Have they done anything to voice our opinion in the present Low Vision bill? Do they know that there is a low vision bill in DC? Have they tried to put any language in that bill that would be of benefit to us? See none of that has been mentioned. Have they informed the general optician public that the State of Washington was close to getting a refracting bill? Have they tried to make it a national policy among the licensed states to accept reciprocity? Have they informed the public that New Jersey had a bill that would eliminate Optometric dispensing of eyewear? Did they supported that bill or where against it. I could go on and on but the truth is WE DO NOT KNOW how they think. Opticians want the following:
    1. Know the state of opticianry in their part of the world.
    2. What is the OAA doing at the Federal level?
    3. How are they trying to impact any federal legislation?
    4. What they are doing to improve the poor state of education that we have. Are they going to require the degree or not?
    5. Do they have a lobbyist?
    6. Have guts and do something.

Maybe then they can convince more opticians to join and maybe then they can increase their fees. See If I am ok financially, I can give more....much more to OAA membership. I do not miss my card at all....Maybe if they get their act together. I have year after year given my $65.00, could have given more, but they never motivated me. Never knew where my $65.00 went (good dinner to the good old boys?) See what I mean. MISCOMMUNICATION. Ignorance to the max as to what has the OAA done for me? When I finally had the chance to talk to their spokeperson ( a lady called Jackie, I think ) she was fired... Do they have a spokeperson now?

Dannyboy

Wicked as ever

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dannyboy

I can't speak for anyone but myself.
    But, if what you say is accurate, then . . .
    change it!
    I have had a problem with opticianry's performance historically. And, to tell you the truth, I have absolutely no desire to get involved in legislative matters. But, I do have a burning desire to enhance opticianry's image as a profession through marketing.
    Hence, my big mouth about the IOC.
    I'll bet the new OAA could use your input and skills.
    Change begins with someone seeing "TOPS" . . .
    Threats . . .Opportunities . . .Problems . . . Solutions.
    So, what would you recommend next?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier OAA

You are right but until they decide to do something about the education requirements I have decided not to rejoin. Let me explain, the OAA, the CLSA and NAO have in their power the ability to require the ABO and the NCLC to change their requirements of entry into the profession. It has to be at least a Associates degree. Without a degree this profession will not evolve. Also the way it is currently design leaves only honored and business members a vote. Not very democratic in my view.

Dannyboy:idea:

If I am wrong please let me know.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: Dannyboy

Ya know . . .
    I can't argue with anything you're saying.
    I've got the degree, too. And, something needs to be done about a whole lot. But, non-participation will yield non-change.
    Isn't there some way we can recruit your help?
    Tell ya what . . .
    I've got a great idea.
    If you'll jump in . . . I've got these great Ginsu knives. I'll give them to you for joining, ol buddy ol pal.
    What do ya think, huh?

{whisper....} maybe I can get rid of the knives on dannyboy, shh. cah2020 wouldn't take 'em. Don't say anything

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question non participation?

Well..lets see what happens is my attitude right now. I will continue to support my state society first... See they had it within their power and they did NOTHING. Probably is time to let them sink. Lets see what the new ship brings.

Dannyboy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK Dannyboy . . .

I'll back off, but . . .
    the Ginsu knives are only while supplies last.
    Later, Dude

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: OAA

Originally posted by Dannyboy
    Opticians dont care about the entering president or the exiting looser, they want to hear what is going on nationally. Opticians want to know about pending legislation at the national or state level. What have they done to put any Pro optician legislation in Washington? Have they impacted the patients bill of rights? Have they ask any of their members to support this or that version of the bill that would be pro optician?

Have they done anything to voice our opinion in the present Low Vision bill? Do they know that there is a low vision bill in DC? Have they tried to put any language in that bill that would be of benefit to us? See none of that has been mentioned. Have they informed the general optician public that the State of Washington was close to getting a refracting bill? Have they tried to make it a national policy among the licensed states to accept reciprocity? Have they informed the public that New Jersey had a bill that would eliminate Optometric dispensing of eyewear? Did they supported that bill or where against it. I could go on and on but the truth is WE DO NOT KNOW how they think. Opticians want the following:
    1. Know the state of opticianry in their part of the world.
    2. What is the OAA doing at the Federal level?
    3. How are they trying to impact any federal legislation?
    4. What they are doing to improve the poor state of education that we have. Are they going to require the degree or not?
    5. Do they have a lobbyist?
    6. Have guts and do something.

I think Dannyboy has, in a nutshell, very eloquently stated my thinking as well. I guess my question is, Alan and Judy, if I don't get a voice for my $65 then when will I get a voice. You say to get active and join, but you both admit my voice won't be heard. So then why pay the money? I want to be a champion for change, but I can only do that if I am listened to!

~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cah2020 and Dannyboy

During the lifescycle an organizations goe through many stages. One of those stages is when it faces erosion due to lack of active leadership. The condition of that leadership is dependent on still another set of circumstances. OAA has been in that state of erosion for some time and its leadership in the process of change. It is in still another state of change where we don't see what goes on internally. I doubt there will be much of announcement saying they are soft right now and seek individuals to strengthen itself. That would probably be bad form. I because I am not internal to it, can't say that's its condition. However, my sense is that it is at the bottom of its curve and about to come back up. OAA looks towards refreshing its relationships with state organizations also, so that makes be believe the timing is best about now to participate in the facilitation of reconstruction. Your membership at this time in its reconstruction is definitely not a customer/servant relationship. I could be wrong. No one has knocked on my door looking for opinion and I don't see why they would. Membership right now is for do-ers.
    The folks at OAA already know that some of us want to develop a parallel support organization that would enhance OAA's effectiveness. This round OAA will not have to go it alone. And, so there is a synergy in the making that, while is in its infantile stages, I believe will soon form like a good storm!
    You folks are entitled to your opinion and certainly have your right to exercise conservatism. Neither OAA nor IOC nor anyone else I can think of seem to be at the stage where they can announce the kind of "internal customer service" policy that you seek. And, that's OK. Like I said, it looks to me like they are at the bottom of the reconstruction curve or near it enough for it to be at its most receptive stage for input and new blood. Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it. Certainly, no one should think poorly of you for a wait and see posture.
    I believe in my heart of hearts that OAA will emerge stronger, more focused, and far more effective than it has ever been.
    What concerns me is that if you have the power to guide people (as I think one or both of you come from management) then it would be still another travesty to miss a beat and then say "I told you so." Perhaps it's also a "lead, follow, or step aside" condition, and you have chosen your path. Since I have no idea whether everything I've said is a bunch of bull . . . time will tell . . .and, at least we know you're there. And, I ask for the forgiveness of OAA people if I speak innacurately. This is one persons opinion and I personally feel OAA forms one of the vital legs of the three legged stool of professional community organization. I'll be darned if I want to see that leg break off.

I just feel badly that neither of you want the Ginsu knives! You really should have seen the commercial!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with you here Alan. The OAA has some internal and external work to do but it is going to be an important part of strengthening opticians' positions in allied health and in legislation.

Thread Information