Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strangest Things Patients Say

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Strangest Things Patients Say

We had a women come in today with her father to pick up his glasses. At first he wasnt sure he could see as well with the new RX at this point his daughter asked if it would make a difference if he put his teeth in:drop:
    Mike

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sure

Why not? Pt.'s lose the ability to hear when their glasses are off so having teeth in should definitely help.
    :hammer:
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist."
    Franklin Jones.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

strange things patients say

I need a screw, although harmless it still sounds strange.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just after I explained that Transitions really do not change while you are driving: "Will it change if I am in the passenger seat?"

Occupation
    They do lose their ability to hear don't they!

I said it one thread:
    When doing tono, the patient usually older says "Is this the one that gives the blow job?" or somthing similar to that.:p

"I can read that bottom line, give me a minute." while my arm has gone to sleep and they can't even read the 30 line.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuString View Post
    I need a screw, although harmless it still sounds strange.
    :DWhen I was single a good looking guy brought his sunglasses in complaining the temple kept swivelling. I pointed out that he needed a screw, he pointed out he sure did, and promptly asked me for a date. (Turned out he had several loose screws and not just in his sunglasses.)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do patient's think that when they are in front of an eye chart, it's some kind of test that they are going to get a grade on or something. Many wiggle around in the chair, women tell you the line "they can't see."
    Lots give you the "give me a minite" answer as though you were interested in what they might be able figure out or guess at. Some even attempt to memorize the chart, as though lying to you would help you bring thier vision up to stuff.

Many patients come in and say thier contacts "feel too tight". A contact cannot "feel too tight." Never make the mistake of saying that looks too tight in front of a patient. Thereafter the patient will tell you "it feels tight" unless it's falling out. Never again will they say, it burns, itches, scratches, hurts, looks foggy, or anything except "it feels tight."

Chip

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Why do patient's think that when they are in front of an eye chart, it's some kind of test that they are going to get a grade on or something. Many wiggle around in the chair, women tell you the line "they can't see."
    Lots give you the "give me a minite" answer as though you were interested in what they might be able figure out or guess at. Some even attempt to memorize the chart, as though lying to you would help you bring thier vision up to stuff.

Many patients come in and say thier contacts "feel too tight". A contact cannot "feel too tight." Never make the mistake of saying that looks too tight in front of a patient. Thereafter the patient will tell you "it feels tight" unless it's falling out. Never again will they say, it burns, itches, scratches, hurts, looks foggy, or anything except "it feels tight."

Chip

Chip
    I get the same thing when I do research. I hand out 500 surveys, so I have no idea who says what.

When it deals with questions of income, charities, or anything that makes them feel good or bad there is a major problem with honesty. For instance, if I ask them how much they donate to a charity, I do not care if it $0, but many will never put that, and instead put what feel they should donate.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I get the same thing when I do research. I hand out 500 surveys, so I have no idea who says what.

When it deals with questions of income, charities, or anything that makes them feel good or bad there is a major problem with honesty. For instance, if I ask them how much they donate to a charity, I do not care if it $0, but many will never put that, and instead put what feel they should donate.
    You can always count on an honest answer from me!

Occupation
    How about "Well, that's the problem, my glasses are dirty."

I told one woman, if you were going to a ob/gyn for a check up, you'd make sure you were clean? Why not your glasses? She just laughed and agreed.:bbg:

"I'd rather go to the Dentist, then come here for an exam." You'd rather, have teeth scrapped, needle stuck in, tooth pulled, rather then: "Read the smallest line for me"????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get... "can you adjust my shoes please" ( nosepads ) and the always favorite " Are you gonna leave the DKNY on the lenses?" DEMOS!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm used to the following terms for temples: wings, legs, arms, stems.

But a couple of weeks ago, a fellow came in who has VSP and wanted to use his existing frame and not give them up (it's also a frame we don't carry).

No problem, he said; he had the "slugs" and we could make the lenses from them.

Slugs? Well, "slug" = "pattern". I tried to steer him toward the correct term, but he insisted on using "slugs."

So the next time you take one of those plastic thingies we used to use to make lenses before the days of patternless edgers, just think of that slimy little garden critter. :bbg: Or, maybe you can think of that shiny new edger as a "slugless" one.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    I get... "can you adjust my shoes please" ( nosepads ) and the always favorite " Are you gonna leave the DKNY on the lenses?" DEMOS!
    It is amazing how many people thing the show frames have RX lenses in them. It is even more amazing that some of these people have worn glasses all their lives.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    One woman told me a while back she "didn't like it when they blew her in the other room."

Funny, I always thought we just had one staff member per patient for pretesting.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    :DWhen I was single a good looking guy brought his sunglasses in complaining the temple kept swivelling. I pointed out that he needed a screw, he pointed out he sure did, and promptly asked me for a date. (Turned out he had several loose screws and not just in his sunglasses.)
    I married the last guy that used that line on me...27 years later and we're still...you know...;) married!

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    and the always favorite " Are you gonna leave the DKNY on the lenses?" DEMOS!
    my reply, "yes, but it is only an extra (insert cost of lenses) to have it removed." usually followed by a long explaination and me remembering why I should keep my sense of humor to myself.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just after I explained that Transitions really do not change while you are driving: "Will it change if I am in the passenger seat?"
    You mean they don't, My opstitrician told me they don't change when I'm DRIVING. Haaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    It is amazing how many people thing the show frames have RX lenses in them. It is even more amazing that some of these people have worn glasses all their lives.
    And even more amazing at how well demos improve some peoples' vision!:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Medicine

"De medsin done clean wo' out 'o dees glasses!"

Had one yesterday that said the doctor's office had checked her glasses and 'de medsin was just in the tinyest part of the top of her glasses (SV glasses, Rx monocular only."
    Could not convince the woman that we had not and would not put a progressive bifocal in a frame only 24mm "B".

Chip

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chip, I can't tell you how many times I've used that line at work as I've seen you post it for at least a few years. It never gets the attention I think it deserves. I used it on one of our Doctors when he was doing my eye exam and his usual stoic self actually laughed. FINALLY!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what about when you charge for repairs... HAHAH 2 bucks for the screw

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I charged someone 4 bucks for a nut and bolt today. I told her a screw would have cost her signifigantly more. I don't think she got it.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a new one (at least for me) yesterday. "Could you tighten my nose prongs?"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not just the patients. Years ago I worked in a shop where the lab (full service mind you in the '70's) was upstairs and accessable via a dumb waiter. Young thing that I was, I sent a frame up with the request "needs a screw". The reply...."send her up". After I stopped laughing..I sent the frame and the offending temple.....

I love this business.....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    "De medsin done clean wo' out 'o dees glasses!"

Chip
    I hear this so much and everytime I do I laugh out loud! (In the back, of course!) Like, I can just tip the bottle up and fill up thier lenses! Funny mental picture! I also love "zohn" like john... patients who I think are trying to say that they can't focus in on something say- "I can't zohn in on that" (Maybe Zone?)
    *Mrs. L.C. Pitts

Thread Information