Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Attn, China shoppers:"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Attn, China shoppers:"

I guy came into my office and said, "I haven't been feeling too good today. Maybe it's the fake cotton in my China undershirt, or the fake leather in my China shoes, or the chemicals in my China toothpaste..." He went on, and on, and got a chuckle.

I was waiting for him to say, "...maybe it's the lead in the paint on my China eyeglass frames." He didn't.

Everyone, (ok, a lot of folks) are raising a stink about all unregulated goods coming from China, and the composition of the products. What assurance do we have that the millions of frames and lenses that we dispense aren't full of formaldahyde, lead, and other harmful items ?

Besides the UL & CE ratings, are there any industry standards that address this. Do any of the above standards even address this?

Does anybody know?

Does anybody care?

Just wondering...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We don't

It is something that I am getting rather scared about. Kids getting sick, because their toys have a large amount of lead in the paint. Our pets dying, because of the filler in their food. Who is to take that something will not go with the frames.

I would hope that the frame distributors would ensure this would not happen, but with the push to lower costs I can see it happening.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    We don't

I would hope that the frame distributors would ensure this would not happen, but with the push to lower costs I can see it happening.

A large percentage of distributors (not just optical) are guys like you and me that have a source for a product.

I think that everyone is hoping the next guy is checking, but we all really know that nobody is watching.

Occupation
    Nope, no one is.

Really, what could we do? If a store stops carrying Chinese made frames that will eliminate 99 percent of all frames on the market.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I know all frames in matte black color are plated with very toxic rhodium chemical from China since 1980's and now still....

How toxic??------OPs are proven to get cancer within 4 years after inhaling heated fume from plating tank! I don't know what would happen to end users after wearing 4 years of matte black frames that were plated with toxic chemical!

All frame importors from Western world know about this and no action has been taken.....so who cares!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Let me take that back! Not only limit to China but any place and any country where feature the same old technique to plate matte black on metal frames.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post
    Let me take that back! Not only limit to China but any place and any country where feature the same old technique to plate matte black on metal frames.
    That's what has always been my gripe! Our (US) manufacturers were held to stricter standards by OSHA and the EPA, while other countries go the cheap route to undercut. That's fine, but they shouldn't be able to reintroduce the products to our markets under those circumstances.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Nope, no one is.

Really, what could we do? If a store stops carrying Chinese made frames that will eliminate 99 percent of all frames on the market.
    It sure would. Plus, you'd see the pre 90s wholesale prices once again, since Italy wouldn't have the competition they have now.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    It sure would. Plus, you'd see the pre 90s wholesale prices once again, since Italy wouldn't have the competition they have now.
    :D:D:D:D:D because they mostly are made in China 2! They are not any safer!

Occupation
    I think these problems though will be good for Western markets.

I was watching a Heinz baby food commercial today, and it talked about how they triple tested their food and make it in Canada. Maybe idiot consumers will realize that the cheapest is not always the best, and we need to be more diligent with our purchases.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :D:D:D:D:D because they mostly are made in China 2! They are not any safer!

(psst...don't tell anybody!)
    :cheers:

Occupation
    I know all frames in matte black color are plated with very toxic rhodium chemical from China since 1980's and now still....

How toxic??------OPs are proven to get cancer within 4 years after inhaling heated fume from plating tank! I don't know what would happen to end users after wearing 4 years of matte black frames that were plated with toxic chemical!

All frame importors from Western world know about this and no action has been taken.....so who cares!
    Rhodium plating is done in the jewelry industry all the time, I wear a white gold wedding ring and my wife wears a platinum wedding band and ingagement ring, both are rhodium plated. In my case if you have ever seen the reaction between lens polish (aluminum oxide) and rhodium you would know that it produces a grey film on my finger and often times I will have friends tease me that I have a fake wedding ring. Now if we are going to talk about the various chemicals in the lab alloy often contains lead, cadmium, and other terrible metals, again don't eat any of it. Same with tint tanks don't stand over them breathing the stuff in, not a good idea. I don't know what effect a frame with a rhodium coat on it would have that a wedding ring made of platinum or white gold wouldn't. Heck even your tap water has a level of arsenic in it that is acceptable by our government.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Once upon a China Moon...

I will soon be offering a line of "Made in the USA" frames. I am talking PRIMO, top quality, fashionable, worth the investment, frames anybody has ever seen!

Of course they will flop, and I'll face financial ruin because who in the US really cares about "made in the USA", what optical will buy my product at $417 wholesale because I have to pass so many EPA, FDA, OSHA, ATf, CIA and who knows who else got there hand in my wallet, tests and *standards*?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    :D
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Rhodium plating is done in the jewelry industry all the time, I wear a white gold wedding ring and my wife wears a platinum wedding band and ingagement ring, both are rhodium plated. In my case if you have ever seen the reaction between lens polish (aluminum oxide) and rhodium you would know that it produces a grey film on my finger and often times I will have friends tease me that I have a fake wedding ring. Now if we are going to talk about the various chemicals in the lab alloy often contains lead, cadmium, and other terrible metals, again don't eat any of it. Same with tint tanks don't stand over them breathing the stuff in, not a good idea. I don't know what effect a frame with a rhodium coat on it would have that a wedding ring made of platinum or white gold wouldn't. Heck even your tap water has a level of arsenic in it that is acceptable by our government.

I don't think US government would allow black Rhodium in Cyanide base contains Cobalt!!! It will adhere on metal surface even strong than Ironic plating and only available in matte black. Plating companies in China isolate the black-brown color Rhodium plating tank away from regular cleaning, nickel, copper, chrome,white Rhodium, gold deposit bath because of it's fume and other reasons I don't even want to know!:D

I also notice workers deal with black Rhodium chemical in China get higher pay, hardly educated, mostly are SINGLE, and no one stay in that position longer than 2 years!:D:D

Occupation
    :D.

I don't think US government would allow black Rhodium in Cyanide base contains Cobalt!!! It will adhere on metal surface even strong than Ironic plating and only available in matte black. Plating companies in China isolate the black-brown color Rhodium plating tank away from regular cleaning, nickel, copper, chrome,white Rhodium, gold deposit bath because of it's fume and other reasons I don't even want to know!:D

I also notice workers deal with black Rhodium chemical in China get higher pay, hardly educated, mostly are SINGLE, and no one stay in that position longer than 2 years!:D:D

Goes to show you the cost of an education or lack there of. :hammer:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Of course they will flop, and I'll face financial ruin because who in the US really cares about "made in the USA", what optical will buy my product at $417 wholesale because I have to pass so many EPA, FDA, OSHA, ATf, CIA and who knows who else got there hand in my wallet, tests and *standards*?

Amen brother...:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would an inert metal (Platinum) which has it's own beautiful silver color need to be plated with anything?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Why would an inert metal (Platinum) which has it's own beautiful silver color need to be plated with anything?
    Chief Chip,

Modern jewelry are processed through tumbling, rough polishing + fine polishing. Polishing marks still can be seen under microscope. 3 to 4 micron of plating will cover up polishing marks and acheive shinny mirror finishes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I will soon be offering a line of "Made in the USA" frames. I am talking PRIMO, top quality, fashionable, worth the investment, frames anybody has ever seen!

If you did make any money, your workers would unionize and demand some of the profits and then your employee overhead would approach $55/hr like General Motors.

Interesting news. GM made lots of money last quarter because of oversees manufacturing. They have finally opened enough oversees manufacturing and laid off enough US workers to make money. GM actually does know how to make cars and money. Who knew?
    It's the unions that were holding them hostage.

Your next GM vehicle could be made in China.

Was that off topic?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    If you did make any money, your workers would unionize and demand some of the profits and then your employee overhead would approach $55/hr like General Motors.

Interesting news. GM made lots of money last quarter because of oversees manufacturing. They have finally opened enough oversees manufacturing and laid off enough US workers to make money. GM actually does know how to make cars and money. Who knew?
    It's the unions that were holding them hostage.

Your next GM vehicle could be made in China.

Was that off topic?
    But then you have Toyota and Nissan, who do very well with their American and Canadian plants. They are non-unionized. The employees do not want to join the unions.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paul Harvey said the other day that GM, Ford and Chrysler are losing money making cars overseas. While Toyota, and Nissan are making cars
    in the U.S. and making money.

And some of us folks in the optical business think we want unions.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course they will flop, and I'll face financial ruin because who in the US really cares about "made in the USA",
    Just came back from a weekennd visit to friends in Richmond VA, and as usual, wives wanted to shop. My wife bought a dress at Macy"s, after discounts, about $23. Read the tag, Made in America!!!! Someone can do it. First clothing article I have seen made here in forever.

Occupation
    Nucor is an ideal example

For years it was bringing in better ROI than Jack Welsh's GE. A profitable steel company in the US. Non-unionized, and the employees would have it no other way.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Because platinum is known for it's brilliant white, which by the way is the color of the rhodium coating. Platinum itself has an almost greyish tinge to it and any women in their right mind would think you got then a steel ring at firt glance. If you have ever seen an ingot of palladium, platinum is similar in color.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Just came back from a weekennd visit to friends in Richmond VA, and as usual, wives wanted to shop. My wife bought a dress at Macy"s, after discounts, about $23. Read the tag, Made in America!!!! Someone can do it. First clothing article I have seen made here in forever.
    It cannot be done. Clothing manufacturing in the US is unionized (ILGWU) last I checked. There is no way a dress can be made in the USA for the money your wife paid. If Macy's was selling it for the price you paid they were closing it out and likely received mark down money from the original manufacturer.

Slight correction: ILGWU (International Ladies Garment Workers Union) merged with UNITE (Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Textile Emploees) in 1995 and UNITE merged with HERE (the Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees International Union) to form UNITE HERE in 2004.
    Last edited by DocInChina; 08-06-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: additional information

Thread Information