Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We had 11 Prada frames stolen!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by billmdee View Post
    We had 17 Tiffany frames stolen last month. They were in two locked towers, but they apparently jimmied the lock. Close to $8k walking out the door. :angry:
    Our 3 fake cameras with blinking lights did not good (not a big surprise there.)
    Im not trying to be rude, but how did they take 17 frames without anyone seeing?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cityconnection View Post
    Im not trying to be rude, but how did they take 17 frames without anyone seeing?
    I'll take a crack at it: It was a blustery day. Everyone was wrapped in layers to buffer themselves against the relentless wind. We were very busy on the day in question. I remember the last patients of the day very vividly. One of them was a giant of a lady who looked like she was pregnant with triplets. She was wearing a long, camel colored trench coat and a raspberry beret. Something told me I should watch her more closely, but I was busy pretesting the last patient of the day. I heard a rustling in the corner near our Prada display, but I wasn't quite done on the NCT yet. I finished the pretest and turned around just in time to see the giant lady moving quickly for the door. I sprinted to position myself between the giant and the exit. I made it just in time. Just in time to see the giant lady throw off the trench coat. Inside was two midget ninja frame thieves. They gave me a good nunchucking and ran out the door.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shall relate a couple of theft incidences that we have had occur here, there have been others but this will give you the idea.

Incidence #1: Couple comes in, her wearing attire that indicated gross obesity or pregnacy. Three children. Small office two employees. First couple starts "frame shopping". Then the three children with parents who seem oblivious, start running around store, making noise, disturbing displays, etc. this goes on for some time while parents are shopping. End result obese mama appearently has pouch in atrire that is filled, couple eventuallly buys nothing and moves on a dozen or more frames leave with them. Children were appearently "trained" to do just what they did.
    Incedent #2 same small shop. Group of "customers" come in together all want new frames, shop but help can only tend to two customers at the same time. After shopping and not finding anything to anyone's likeing, leaves. Personell finds a dozen Ray-Ban's gone. A couple weeks later optician is out and has temporary optician in. Couple come in with (one of the stolen but not recognised as such Ray-ban's) broken. Optician goes to back to repair same. When repair done, customer leaves. Receptionist finds a dozen shades of another brand missing.

I have even had people come in, take pictures of frames appearently to take back to thier "customer" to select what frames they should return and "steal to order."

These people are "professionals." We have in our area even had a frame rep or two caught and arrested stealing other brands of frames.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No surveillance camera?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    ...a raspberry beret....
    You mean the kind she wore was from a second-hand store? :D (sorry, couldn't resist! LOL!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I shall relate a couple of theft incidences that we have had occur here, there have been others but this will give you the idea.

Incidence #1: Couple comes in, her wearing attire that indicated gross obesity or pregnacy. Three children. Small office two employees. First couple starts "frame shopping". Then the three children with parents who seem oblivious, start running around store, making noise, disturbing displays, etc. this goes on for some time while parents are shopping. End result obese mama appearently has pouch in atrire that is filled, couple eventuallly buys nothing and moves on a dozen or more frames leave with them. Children were appearently "trained" to do just what they did.
    Incedent #2 same small shop. Group of "customers" come in together all want new frames, shop but help can only tend to two customers at the same time. After shopping and not finding anything to anyone's likeing, leaves. Personell finds a dozen Ray-Ban's gone. A couple weeks later optician is out and has temporary optician in. Couple come in with (one of the stolen but not recognised as such Ray-ban's) broken. Optician goes to back to repair same. When repair done, customer leaves. Receptionist finds a dozen shades of another brand missing.

I have even had people come in, take pictures of frames appearently to take back to thier "customer" to select what frames they should return and "steal to order."

These people are "professionals." We have in our area even had a frame rep or two caught and arrested stealing other brands of frames.

Chip
    wow. organized.

1. We once had a "new" frame stylist. She had worked for a few weeks when a "man" came in to look at sunglasses. They were kind of talking like they had met before. Well, the man asks to look at sunglasses, and the new frame stylist shows it to him. She obviously picks out the most expensive 4-5 pairs. He leans over the counter, pushes her and then runs out with the frames. A family member ran after him but he got away (please dont give me the "its dangerous to chase", he was young and wild at the time). We narrowed it down to it being one of her friends. Needless to say, she got fired.

2. Once I was walking about the store on a Monday morning after a busy Saturday. I was looking at our board when I saw a frame that I didn't recognize and had no demo lenses. I looked closely, it wasn't our frame. Someone had walked out wearing our frame and left his/her frame on our board. I was annoyed to say the least.

3. We have security tags. We once caught a man who successfully ripped off the tag with his nails. We were rather suspicious because he was looking at Chanel frames. He caught him and told him to leave, but he told us it was ripped when he picked it up. He started yelling how we were discriminating against him. He told him we would gladly call the police and show them both the security tape. Needless to say, he just walked out.

4. An old lady was walking out the door when the alarm sounds. She looks back at us and says "that didnt happen last time". It was right after we put in the alarm system. Clearly, this was not the first time she stole something.

5. and the list goes one....
    Please who want something will do anything to get it.

Also, beware of people who walk in seperately BUT keep on looking at each other. Chances are, they are together.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think I'm going to add some sensormatic tags and a beeper. The tags are ~$1.15ea and the stands aren't too crazy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Monday morning I come to work and I notice one of our Prada displays sitting empty behind a chair in the waiting room. You could not see it easily from the front desk.

Turns out that sometime on Saturday someone walked over and probably dumped all the frames in her purse and then hid the empty display behind the chair. This person would have had to hold the display to her side and walk it about 30 feet to hid it behind the chair. No one saw it. I am assuming it was a woman, but of course it could have been a man with some kind of bag.

Of course we didn't have our cameras working, they are now.

Has anyone else had a lot of frames stolen? How do you try to prevent it?
    I think the best way is to change your display layout. That is the display that no one except optician can touch it. Whenever pt wants to touch, the display lets optician know and show it to pt. And then you are free from worry.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a man trying to sell me sensormatic tags. Swore it couldn't be removed. Took me 90 seconds to cut his demo off.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Had a man trying to sell me sensormatic tags. Swore it couldn't be removed. Took me 90 seconds to cut his demo off.

Chip
    Like I said, when there's a will, there's a way...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Now if I can just get the sensormatic thing to lock the door when it goes off.. the staff don't want to get shot, but I really can't see their point :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

We had another 8 stolen this week. :angry:

We think it is an organized shoplifting gang. They case the store and wait until there are only 1 or 2 people on the sales floor. When they are tied up with other customers at the dispensary or fitting some one at a computer, several outwardly unrelated people come in to "browse". Two of the groups block the view of the Opticians while the third person pops the tower and grabs the frames. Each group enters and leaves separately, so you can't immediately tell they are together.

I tested it out, and it took me less than 15 seconds to put 17 frames in a shopping bag. With more practice I am sure I could do it in under 10 seconds.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Well if they can't see they must be in the right place

sorry bad joke

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    You mean the kind she wore was from a second-hand store? :D (sorry, couldn't resist! LOL!)
    It's almost like you were there! :bbg:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

New release

Thought you might like this article!

Posted on Thursday, Apr. 30, 2009

Thieves target expensive eyeglasses

By Jennifer Hewlett

Thieves have been making off with expensive eyeglasses from Lexington optical stores over the past week, and police want help in finding the suspects.
    At least three optical centers — The South Hill Eye Center at 535 South Upper Street, Richardson Vision Center at 1757 Alexandria Drive and Eye Care Center at 114 East Reynolds Road — have been struck by the same three suspects, according to Lexington police.
    The suspects, two women and a man, arrived at the businesses in a white Ford Expedition, distracted employees after entering the stores, then stole glasses from displays, according to police. Targeted brands included Prada, Versace and Dolce & Gabbana.

Read More...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other than video cameras, does anyone use an anti-theft system that has sensors attached to the frames? If so could you post a name and approx. total cost installed.

Thanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sensormatic

I cant remember the initial cost but you should call them and get a quote. There are different kinds of tags...Temple Tags, Bridge Tags, Silver tape tags for temples....

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

Wayne

Thread Information