Thread: Optician or Managing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Optician or Managing Optician

I have the opprotunity to go to work for one of the large retailers in our business.(I prefer not to name at this time) I could choose between a full time optician position or go the route of store manager. Money is not a deciding factor in that either position would pay sufficently. I was wondering on everyones opinion on which position they would choose and why? Thanks for your input.
    UFRICH:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My experience managing in a large chain was that the managing optician ends up with all the bull. If times were slow, I was expected to send people home. This I hated the most because it made you the bad guy and these people needed their paycheck too. Also, you become the jack of all trades. There would be days that I did the edging, the cl training, the sales, dispensing everything. It seemed like all you heard was sales, sales, sales. And monthly the regional guys came in and expected to be treated like the gods of opticianry when some of them didn't even have an optical background. I would say that if the pay is pretty equal and you have a choice, I'd be a little indian. However, if there were ample trained staff there and you made a contract up front, some places can offer some good perks and bonuses.

For me, since leaving the chain thing and managing private practices, if I ever had to go back to a chain, it wouldn't be as a manager.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't work for them. Period.

I have worked for two major chains in the past. They are now one MAJOR chain.;) I hated every second of it. Yes, every single second. In private practice I feel as though I make a difference, that I am in control(if even slightly) of my destiny, people know me-and care, I feel wanted, needed, I have the freedom to make decisions based on the present situation-not based on some dusty procedure manual.

For me, life is way too short to work for a chain. Good luck on your decision, let us know how it works for you.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::che ers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I pick Indian...I was on the fast-track for a major chain which meant I was promoted every year to a new position pulled numbers up tremendousely then I walked away...PS the Indians are still there enjoying their roles and living content lives (for the most part)...Do make sure that you get the hours you want put it in writing. Pick the busiest times to work to increase commission. Good Luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

are you sure?

Not even for the nice blue smock ?:D
    :cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'd gladly work for them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

I have worked for two major chains in the past. They are now one MAJOR chain.;) I hated every second of it.

Last evening, my wife, ten year old son, and myself went for a bike ride on a converted rail/trail. The trail goes by a factory that make metal braces for the car industry.

Although it was evening, it was still about 80 degrees, and the doors to the factory, as well as the windows, were all open, as the building must not be air conditioned. We watched the men and women in matching blue shirts scurry around as they pushed containers of scrap back and forth. It did not look very pleasant, but it was facinating.

After a few minutes, my son said, "Gee Dad, aren't you glad you'll never have to work in a place like that?" I told him that you never know where you might have to work. You work where you have to, to support your family. I told him that I had worked in a place like that one time (Pearle & Sears). He asked if it was as hot and dirty, and I said "No, but it was just as miserable." I told him that if I ever lost my business, I would try truck driving, if that didn't work, I'd try my hand at walking along the highway picking up aluminum cans. I'd try a number of things before I'd go to work for a chain optical. If there was only one job left on earth, it was a chain store optical, and I had a family to support, then I'd gladly work there.

If you take the family out of the equation, you'll find me and Fezz under the 6th Street bridge, sharing a can of baked beans.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Selling your soul.

I agree with all the above... chains stink... don't be the leader of the stink pile. The bigger the chain the bigger the brain washing. According to them you never do well enough all the time... you could be brilliant one month and yick the next... they only see the yick.
    The Wal Mart comment is awesome... I hate Wal Mart.
    Peace be with you.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by meloncollee View Post
    Peace be with you.
    And also with you...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

WalMart No!!!

I worked for WalMart in Ohio (and I assume it's the same company wide... ) I would strongly recommend you find work elsewhere. Anywhere! It was the worst experience of my 25 year optical career. Bad management. Bad policies. Incompetence. Hours cut constantly. Terrible hours. Forced unpaid overtime....I could go on and on...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would suggest LDO. Other associates will still look to you as a role model etc. and you will get paid approx. the same as a managing LDO when you take the extra hours, headaches, and loss of commission while dealing with all the other BS,under consideration. I personally work for that place that shall remain nameless, and have been in both positions... I have enjoyed both, but can tell you Managing in some of the stores can be a NIGHTMARE!

Good Luck!:o

PS Our "smocks" are Black :)

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you gota do what you gota do. I enjoy being in optical and if it was my only option I'd consider a chain (slightly) before flipping pizza. however I would look high and low far and wide for a private practice first. good luck with you decision write yourself the pros and cons of both positions as you see them and see which list is longest.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    you gota do what you gota do. I enjoy being in optical and if it was my only option I'd consider a chain (slightly) before flipping pizza. however I would look high and low far and wide for a private practice first. good luck with you decision write yourself the pros and cons of both positions as you see them and see which list is longest.
    Eyes - round
    Pizza- round

Smells good when you walk in...

Optical - Nahh
    Pizzaria- Oh yeah!

Everybody loves

Glasses - Nahh
    Pizza - Oh Yeah!

Fring Benny - All the product you can eat.

Optical - Nahh
    Pizzaria - Oh yeah!

You might want to rethink your position on this one...:cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you gota do what you gota do. I enjoy being in optical and if it was my only option I'd consider a chain (slightly) before flipping pizza.
    Theres a choice there??

Pizza wins!!!

Thread Information