Thread: Small Observations

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Small Observations

I don't know why I never thought of this before. Today I was out back grabbing a smoke and noticed how little I notice my trifocal lines.
    Bear in mind that I have plastic trifocals, Bifocals, Glass Trifocals, Progressives in both plastic and glass as well as some SV glasses for various purposes and I have a 2.50 add.
    The ones I had on today were plastic ST's. What I realized was how much more I notice the line in plastic ST bifocals. Then I reasoned that the ledge was much more pronounced in the bifocals as opposed to two more shallow edges in the trifocals.
    The signifcance? I often suspect that prescribers and opticians do not use trifocals because they got so much feed back when they first Rx'd bifocals for the individual (note I didn't say woman).
    The point? I suspect that those with higher adds, would notice the line much less (plastic lenses) if in trifocals with a narrow seg. width. The higher the change between adjacent segements and the wider the segment, the more the patient would be consiencos of the glare and width of the segment as well as the abruptness of the jump.

Chip:idea:
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-26-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: abrupt "p"

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In my experience, trifocals were (for lack of a better explanation) an upsell. Most people wearing flat tops are satisfied without the intermediate area, because they are older and were never had to work with it much. Therefore, trifocals were only used for people who were missing their intermediate area in their bifocals.

Now with PALs, all of my first time presbos receive a PAL. While these individuals are now working in areas that they need intermediate vision (computers) the PAL is satisfactory for that.

I am sure that if there were no progressives I would have fitted a lot more trifocals.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ok, i know that glass is a taboo subject, but, have you tried glass tri's? they shouldn't have a seg "ledge" so there shouldn't be any light reflecting off of it. Then again, 1.) weight 2.) thickness 3.) it's been soooo long since i have dispensed glass... is it still made?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    KMC:

As I mentioned in the origional post, I have all types of multifocals in both plastic and glass. This was just an observation in outside light about tri vs bi and the amount of "line notice" having to do with the depth of line (difference in add vs. adjacent power). Not a complaint or endorsement of anything.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Chip,

My “good” lenses are glass Panoptics. Back in the seventies I realized that B&L and fused glass lenses were going to succumb to polymers and globalization and that if I wanted to continue to wear the Panoptics I had yea best set some aside for the future. This I did, a couple of pairs each of in 6 and 8 base in Adds up to 3.00. Didn’t ga any higher on the Add cause I figured that with my misspent youth of sex drugs and rock and roll I would never see 65.

Well, just my luck, I really need a 3.50 Add now. If anyone has a pair of semi-finished Panoptic Tri’s in a 6.00 base I will trade for the 15 or so pairs that I can’t use. In addition, I will attend the Vision Expo of your choice and publicly kiss your *** after giving you ten minutes to draw a crowd.

Without a doubt, the combination of the fused segment, the slightly curved segment top and the coating do make for the best flat top type of lens solution. Now, if I can only find an AO Airflight in Demi Amber 50-14-145 I will be in heaven.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Glass lenses...........................

Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    it's been soooo long since i have dispensed glass... is it still made?
    Actually there are still many countries in the 3rd world where glass is still dominant to millions of people. Old optical machinery is reconditioned and sold to these places.

Thread Information