Thread: Billiards Glasses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Billiards Glasses

Every so often I get someone wanting some kind of crazy archery or billiards glasses that will allow them to sight down their arm clearly and look through the edge of the lens. Currently I have a patient who needs glasses to play pool. I'll basically be duplicating this top rimless style:

http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

I am assuming I should raise the OC considerably, possibly above his pupil. Does anyone have experience with this these types of glasses?

Thanks-Kevin

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Have him bring in his stick and hold it the way he would, I bet he'll get a kick out of it and you will get a great measurement.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

billiard glasses

I had to do a billiard rx a while ago (10+years) we turned a d-35 upside down (baseball seg not good for this app)with intermediate add which worked well when you address the cue ball you were in int. and with a lift of chin (typical physical response)you could see down table. The frame had pads which were tightened lift frame. The link was a little fishy i like where they give you instructions on taking your own PD.

I havent heard any real complaints about pool glasses with SV.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyS View Post
    I had to do a billiard rx a while ago (10+years) we turned a d-35 upside down (baseball seg not good for this app)with intermediate add which worked well when you address the cue ball you were in int. and with a lift of chin (typical physical response)you could see down table. The frame had pads which were tightened lift frame. The link was a little fishy i like where they give you instructions on taking your own PD.

I haven't heard any real complaints about pool glasses with SV.
    Yep, the patient requests SV set for a distance of 9-12 feet. It hadn't occurred to me that he may not be able to see the cue ball. I'll have to look over his Rx. He's currently in a progressive for his regular glasses.

I'll definitely have him come over and demonstrate so we can take measurements. I had a guy bring his compound bow in once.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

imo

IMO i think the pt could be confused about terminology and might merely need int and distance correction. It is still hard to use because your eyes are constantly shifting between int and distance to determine angle of incidence between stick, cue ball and object ball. I imagine the image jump would suck big time. Good Luck would love to hear update of conclusion

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Every so often I get someone wanting some kind of crazy archery or billiards glasses that will allow them to sight down their arm clearly and look through the edge of the lens. Currently I have a patient who needs glasses to play pool. I'll basically be duplicating this top rimless style:

http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

I am assuming I should raise the OC considerably, possibly above his pupil. Does anyone have experience with this these types of glasses?

Thanks-Kevin
    Those are pretty cool pool eyeglasses. You mentioned that you also have sold eyewear to "crazy archery" patients. What is the eyewear you have sold to these patients? I actually have a archery range nearby, your advice can definetly help me attract this demographic.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Most people in Britain will recognise this bloke:

http://www.globalsnookercentre.co.uk...nis_taylor.htm

For other styles replace the word billiards with snooker, and search on Google.

I made a high plus pair in the 80s and struggled to get the centres anywhere near what was required, due to the vertical height.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC_man View Post
    Most people in Britain will recognise this bloke:

http://www.globalsnookercentre.co.uk...nis_taylor.htm

For other styles replace the word billiards with snooker, and search on Google.

I made a high plus pair in the 80s and struggled to get the centres anywhere near what was required, due to the vertical height.
    That looks like a pair of zyl frames flipped upside down? Thanks for the snooker suggestion. These will be +3.25 roughly. We'll see how it comes out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Those are pretty cool pool eyeglasses. You mentioned that you also have sold eyewear to "crazy archery" patients. What is the eyewear you have sold to these patients? I actually have a archery range nearby, your advice can definetly help me attract this demographic.

I have done a bunch of these. On most, I have adjusted the optical centers horizontally. Ex. I shoot left handed. When using a bow, I am standing facing ninety degrees away from target, right foot closest to the target, feet about shoulder width apart, I am pulling the string back with my left hand, my head is turned slightly toward the target, I am looking down the shaft of the arrow(or sights), so my left eye is turned in toward the nose. This is where the optical center placement takes place.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I have done a bunch of these. On most, I have adjusted the optical centers horizontally. Ex. I shoot left handed. When using a bow, I am standing facing ninety degrees away from target, right foot closest to the target, feet about shoulder width apart, I am pulling the string back with my left hand, my head is turned slightly toward the target, I am looking down the shaft of the arrow(or sights), so my left eye is turned in toward the nose. This is where the optical center placement takes place.

Oh, you're a Lefty - that explains a lot....:D:D:cheers::cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks!

I'm glad you chimed in. The archery folks are the hardest ones to satisfy. To be clear, which direction did you move the centers for your left handed stance? Too the right? How far?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    I'm glad you chimed in. The archery folks are the hardest ones to satisfy. To be clear, which direction did you move the centers for your left handed stance? Too the right? How far?
    Each shooter will be different. I like to have them come in and bring there bow or guns. Then I get them in there stance and dot centers just like you would for progressives. Just watch frame size, power, etc for cut out and thickness issues.

PS. Keep in mind that the above may not work for "hunters" because of oc placement. That is a whole other issue or lens needed!
    Last edited by Fezz; 07-30-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: PS addded!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Each shooter will be different. I like to have them come in and bring there bow or guns. Then I get them in there stance and dot centers just like you would for progressives. Just watch frame size, power, etc for cut out and thickness issues.

PS. Keep in mind that the above may not work for "hunters" because of oc placement. That is a whole other issue or lens needed!
    That will work also for target shooters. And they will only buy yellow lenses.;)
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information