Thread: Engraving Ophthalmic Lenses...again

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Engraving Ophthalmic Lenses...again

I have searched the threads and have followed the links to several websites but have yet to find exactly the right method for me. I am looking for a cost effective, high capacity, high speed way to put a logo on ophthalmic lenses (uncoated, hard coated and AR coated). I have read some of the recommendations and they are either not time efficient for volume or can damage (scratch) the lens.

Suggestions please.

Doc

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    I have searched the threads and have followed the links to several websites but have yet to find exactly the right method for me. I am looking for a cost effective, high capacity, high speed way to put a logo on ophthalmic lenses (uncoated, hard coated and AR coated). I have read some of the recommendations and they are either not time efficient for volume or can damage (scratch) the lens.

Suggestions please.

Doc
    How about using a laser? I've seen some pretty fancy laser engraving machinery on a TV program called How It Works.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    How about using a laser? I've seen some pretty fancy laser engraving machinery on a TV program called How It Works.
    I have no idea about lasers nor do I know which kind to buy. Any idea what these cost?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used to engrave lenses and segments with a sandblaster useing rubber templates. But then these were mineral lenses.
    Suspect with plastic you could "brand them" with a hot metal stamp.
    Or if you are molding them, engrave the mold (laser preferred). Or as good as the Chinese are at copying and knock offs, I suspect you can find any number of engraver forgers at your disposal.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-25-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: More suggestions

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Laser engraving plstics................

Laser engraving

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Laser engraving is the practice of using lasers to engrave or mark an object (it is also sometimes incorrectly described as etching, which involves the use of acid or a similar chemical). The technique can be very technical and complex, and often a computer system is used to drive the movements of the laser head. Despite this complexity, very precise and clean engravings can be achieved at a high rate. The technique does not involve tool bits which contact the engraving surface and wear out. This is considered an advantage over alternative engraving technologies where bit heads have to be replaced regularly.
    The impact of laser engraving has been more pronounced for specially-designed "laserable" materials. These include polymer and novel metal alloys.
    In situations where physical alteration of a surface by engraving is undesirable, an alternative such as "marking" is available. This is a generic term that covers a broad spectrum of surfacing techniques, including printing and hot-branding. In many instances, laser engraving machines are able to do marking that would have been done by other processes.
    Contents

[hide]
    //
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_engraving

Laser Engraving Plastic

Engraving on plastic has changed greatly in the past few years. Before laser engravers, plastic manufacturers designed plastic for rotary engraving systems. These rotary engravers used a mechanical spinning bit to remove material. Recently though, plastic manufacturers have developed a broad range of plastics that have thinner cap sheets of .002 to .003 inches thickness. These provide much better engraving and cutting characteristics and are commonly referred to as micro laminate, microsurfaced, or simply laser engravable plastics.
    Because there is such a broad range of plastics, it can be necessary to experiment with a particular plastic to determine if it is laser compatible. Different colored plastics, even if they are from the same manufacturer will demand unique speed and power settings from your laser engraver. Use the guidelines in your manual as a starting point when determining the correct speed and power settings. If you do not get acceptable initial results with the recommended speed and power settings, start experimenting by first changing only the power settings. If adjusting the power settings does not work, start over and adjust only the speed setting. Once you have acceptable results, record those settings for that particular plastic so that you won't have to repeat the experimental process.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/engrave...FRrnPgodtFLKMA

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There was a thread here a few days ago about the pliers. I have used those and the sandblaster. Pliers are the fastest and easiest. Will not do glass. I will hunt down the thread for you.

Banned
    Occupation

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Suggest you contact automation & robotics at www.ar.be they should have a automated lens laser system.
    Alam

Occupation
    www.ar.be (automation & robotics will probably have a unit. they make inspection, and packaging units for lenses.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look the man's in China. They have master engravers there that make US bank notes better than the federal reserve. Surely someone can engrave his molds with a lazer without his needing to buy his own equipment.

Occupation
    Yes he is in China at a large volume lens manufacturer. Lens casters use lasers to engrave their molds for example with the progressive lens markings. This is not done by hand but by machine . These machines work well on mold but not individual lenses for example on finished stock after AR or on edged uncuts. You want an automated system and not have to do them by hand with large volume. All major lens casters do it this way.

Occupation
    You want to investigate etching rather than engraving, in particular photo etching.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

engraving

Doc, talk to Jerry huang, he says , not hard to do

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Suggestions please.

Doc
    Doc, have you found it? And what's kind of lens marking machine you are using now?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Optotech has a lab size laser engraver.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong View Post
    Doc, have you found it? And what's kind of lens marking machine you are using now?
    We finally found a laser engraver that met our quality requirement. We must have tested at least a dozen machines.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter bblaker's Avatar
    Occupation
    I need something for engraving safety lenses and suggestion where I can get something....
    "Feeding the beast, hoping it will eat you last" -- Winston Churchill

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    We finally found a laser engraver that met our quality requirement. We must have tested at least a dozen machines.
    Can you let me know the brand and type as well ?

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation

engraving machine

Doc

New Hermes makes a computer driven engraving machine which works well on plastic, especially polycarbonate.

Grobet, a vendor to the jewelry and optical industry sells this item. They would be a good resource for information since they sell into the optical industry.

Checkout www.laser-marks.com seems to be a resource also
    Last edited by LKahn; 10-14-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: addtional info

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bblaker View Post
    I need something for engraving safety lenses and suggestion where I can get something....
    We were using the pliers with the stamp on it, but it occasionally slipped. Now we just hold the stamp in one hand, the lens in the other, and "rock" the stamp on the lens. Just a firm back and forth rocking, maybe two or three times, and it works great. Before, we sometimes only had half the logo show, but now, it's very legible.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    hilco and vigor have a pliers to hand stamp a few lenses. for mass production Schnieder has a laser engrave for about 60k us.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoco View Post
    hilco and vigor have a pliers to hand stamp a few lenses. for mass production Schnieder has a laser engrave for about 60k us.
    I would like to put a laser logo on the lens, can you recommend the laser machine for that purpose? Thanks.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back in '56 we used to sand blast them with rubber templates to control what was engraved. Worked real well.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The company I work for recently set up a complete surfacing and coating lab. Prior to ar coating my lenses ( my vacuum deposition chamber coats 75 lenses at a time), I was trained to manually engrave tray numbers on the lenses to be able to match them to their trays once the process is complete. This has proved to be time consuming and in some cases, leads to redos because the engraving does not cut out during edging. I am searching for alternatives. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
    Angel

Thread Information