Thread: which states require licensing of opticians

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

which states require licensing of opticians

can anyone direct me to a list of states that require licensing of opticians? i would really appreciate it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    TRY WWW.OAA.ORG OR WWW.ABO-NCLE.ORG I think 26 out of 50 have license.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the number is closer to 21 states, not even half. The ABO site has a list of state licensing boards. It list's Texas', but this state dosen't make it manditory, it's voluntary. Don't use their list as definitive.

Occupation
    i dont have a list but i'm from the west coast so california no, washington state yes (i think).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

licensed optician states

For the southern states:

Yes: FL, GA, NC, TN
    No: AL, MS

SC? VA? dunno
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jenny:

Mississippi is not a licensed state. The Opticians have been trying to be licensed since 1960, the optometrists and now the chains have opposed this since that time. They got the money, they got the clout, they got the numbers.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Virginia has required a license since 1954. South Carolina is a yes as well. Kentucky too!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Virginia has required a license since 1954. South Carolina is a yes as well. Kentucky too!
    I lived in Maryland and worked briefly in Virginia in the early 80's. I didn't have a license nor was it ever mentioned to me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I've been licensed in VA since 1978 and it is required, not voluntary.

Maryland does not require a license nor does DC, though in DC you do need a license to be a dog groomer!

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Michigan is a BIG no! The OD's and OMD's (specifically OD's ala the Michigan Optometric Association lobby which is HUGE in the state capitol) have blocked every attempt. I was apart of the last attempt in 2005 to get licensure - their lawyers and lobbyists had us down for the 10 count before we were even heard in subcommittee.

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

License Anyone ?

The following are licensed states. Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Nevada, New Jersey, and New York. Texas and California license the business as apposed to the optician. I believe the last state to become a licensed state was Ohio in 1979.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Smilie Licensed States

Thank you so much for this listing. I have looked for this information on one document and have never been able to find it. I was told that Arkansas was a licensed state as well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Whoops

I see Arkansas now

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Michigan is a BIG no! The OD's and OMD's (specifically OD's ala the Michigan Optometric Association lobby which is HUGE in the state capitol) have blocked every attempt. I was apart of the last attempt in 2005 to get licensure - their lawyers and lobbyists had us down for the 10 count before we were even heard in subcommittee.
    Believe it or not, your best ally in this fight could have been and still can be, the OMDs who are not particularly happy with the latest incursion into their baliwick by the OD's.But they have to be approached! When this licensing effort took place, who did you call on for help? Other licensed states? OAA? I for one never heard anything about it.Your post sounds like you've all given up. Why is this effort not an ongoing thing. Failing in the attempt is not a good enough excuse to give up on it......I send that message to PA as well. Perseverance is key!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Requirements

Does WA require an ABO license? I currently have my ABO and want to take my NCLE this Fall, to increase my chances of securing employment in another state. Do most states that require ABO also require NCLE?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

License Vs. Certification

ABO/NCLE is a voluntary certification. Some states may require it as a component of their licensing process, but as a stand-alone it is volunatry. Licenses are states issues. For example, a driver's license is issued by the state, as are professional licenses, such as those for Opticians. The problem with licensure for Opticians is the vast disparity in requirements between the states. Yes, ODs regularly stand against us in the legislative arena, but unfortunately we make ourselves an easy target due to lack of consistency in education and training requirements.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thank you for that explanation. To make sure I am clearly understanding you, let me ask this... If I move to a state, such as North Carolina, would I have to take another certification test to practice as a dispensing optician?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No

You would take a licensing exam. Now to make it even more confusing, some states recognize ABO as their exam requirement and usually attach a practical exam to it. SC is one who uses that method. The practical is a 3-hour exam. To be licensed, successful completion of the ABO is required. In NC, there is a process through which your current status can be evaluated. You may be granted a license if you have practiced in another licensed state with similar education and training requirements, and had no problems wih the board, etc. If you come from an unlicensed state you can submit the application and take the 9-part 2-day examination if you have been an Optician for 4 years and document your professional activities. The ABO and NCLE certifications may be substituted for a couple of the parts of the exam. Requirements vary widely from state to state, and it is important to check with the board in that state to get up-to-date information regarding requirements.

Good luck to you!

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Believe it or not, your best ally in this fight could have been and still can be, the OMDs who are not particularly happy with the latest incursion into their baliwick by the OD's.But they have to be approached! When this licensing effort took place, who did you call on for help? Other licensed states? OAA? I for one never heard anything about it.Your post sounds like you've all given up. Why is this effort not an ongoing thing. Failing in the attempt is not a good enough excuse to give up on it......I send that message to PA as well. Perseverance is key!
    There's been attempts in the past to get OMDs involved - their usual response is to ride the fence. Beyond that I don't know who was involved - I was asked to participate because of my experience with retail chains and independents (the big retailers were also against licensure). I believe the Opticians Association of Michigan is going to try again next year - but don't quote me on it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Michigan Opticians need to be licensed

Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    I live in Ohio, a licensed state.One of our new customers came in for new backup flattop bifocals because her new progressives were terrible and they are being remade. They were purchased on a shopping trip to a big mall in Detroit.After asking a few questions, I learned the optical shop did not seem very knowledgeable, at least in this customer's eyes. When I told her that Michigan did not require opticians to be licensed, she was at once incredulous and then very worried about ever getting her new and expensive glasses correctly made. I may suggest, that next time you try for licensing in Michigan, try to get the general public to contact their congressmen.Trying to fight the Optoms and chains lobbying with money alone won't work, because opticians don't have enough.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 12-24-2010 at 07:23 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Traciangela View Post

Does WA require an ABO license? I currently have my ABO and want to take my NCLE this Fall, to increase my chances of securing employment in another state. Do most states that require ABO also require NCLE?
    The ABO is not required, but you should get it as well. Washington is a state where you only get one license, for spec and cl. They do not exempt you from their Board if you have it, like NC did for me. If you come to WA or are in WA seeing employment, let me know.

Thread Information