Thread: Signatures

Rising Star

Signatures

I had a new problem hit me last week. I got a prescription in from one of the MD's here, but it was signed by someone other than the MD. I called and was told that the head Tech had signed the Rx. I questioned that and was told that the head Tech had the Doctors authorization to sign his name to everything. I kind of thought that the MD had lost his marbles, but wanted to ask if any one on the board had ever heard of this. The reason I questioned this Rx was because it was a remake of his original Rx with a quarter increase on the add only. Let me know your thoughts. Jim Seebach

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw frequently where the tech signed the doctor's name (with his permission) or had a stamp of the doctor's signature. I don't know what is okay.

~Cindy

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Howdy Jimbo,

Yup, it's done all the time. Anyone that an MD or DO authorizes to sign refractive scripts or pharmaceutical prescripts can do so. The liability falls back on the doctor, but it is legal.

With that said it is a violation of state law for an OD to allow the signing of a refractive or any other type of script by anyone other than the OD his/herself. An OD that I use to work for was called on that one by another OD and sure enough it was true.

Hope this helps,

Darris C.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Jim, along those lines, there has been for many years a major MD group in Fort Worth that has always issued rxs on a prescription for printed on a 3 x 5 card; no where is the name, address or phone of the practice, or any doctors name. and they've never had a doctor that you could read their handwritten name. So, should that imformation be on the written rx for it to be a valid rx? Say, for instance, if one of their patient came to the big city for an exam, and moseyed out to Darris's shop in San Angelo, would he be able to fill it and know where the pt got it? Of course, they're rx numbers are almost as legible as their signatures! So, how do you find out who or where to call? Sometimes the patients can't even teel you which of the 12+ docs they saw; the room was dark. And they change 7-10 of the docs annnually. It would be nice is they used real rx forms! OBTW, sometimes they aren't even signed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Al
    Sometimes the patients can't even teel you which of the 12+ docs they saw; the room was dark.
    That just creates a horrible image of sitting in the pitch black, in a testing room, thinking you're alone. And then a little man sidles up to the chair, and suddenly touches you on the arm.
    Very creepy. I may suggest it for some of our awkward patients. :)

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Maria, I had a lady tell me a while back that she sat waiting for the Dr. to come in, she sat in the chair with her legs crossed; when the he finally came in, (saying nothing) he pressed her thigh with his hand to uncross her legs, then he greeted her and continued with the refraction; needless to say she was most upset! it's not likely she return there again! Many times patients have said that in MD practices, they NEVER saw the doctor, wasn't even sure he was in the building. the "tech" signed the Rx, tried to steer them to the dr's optical shop, maligned outside shops, etc. the pts were offended, were charged $125 for an MD exam, and won't likely go back there. Guess why we quit referring to MD practices?

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this is a little off subject for this post, but I have you beat, Al! I had a patient last week in to get an rx filled. She proceded to tell me she'd never go back to that MD again because she thought the doc was getting it on with his female assistant in the back room.(they walked out into the waiting area adjusting their clothes and buttoning buttons.) :D
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Thread Information