Thread: Frame Manufacturers

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Frame Manufacturers

This could be the wrong are to post this... I'm sure someone will let me know.
    I read Chris Ryser's post about quality, and it started me thinking about manufacturers. It used to be that the better frames came from Italy, Germany, or Japan...
    If I wanted to have some frames produced as my own "brand" where would I go? Any thoughts? (I was thinking about this- for opthalmic sunwear. I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen, so I thought I would see what options are out there.)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

eyewear production

Not for the faint of heart, unless you want a private label company. Lets just say minimum 300pr per color per style for most really high quality to get at the price you would need so 1 style 4 colors 1200pr My suggestion would be to check out euro trade shows with your sketches but dont leave them with anyone. I think this thread would be better served in Chris's original post.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If I was to import my frames and wanted only really good quality frames with price no object, I would go to Japan.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyS View Post
    Not for the faint of heart, unless you want a private label company. Lets just say minimum 300pr per color per style for most really high quality to get at the price you would need so 1 style 4 colors 1200pr
    I have not seen quotes like you are saying for more than 5 years. Depending on the style we usually accept orders for 200 per style (4-5 colors per styles).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    If I was to import my frames and wanted only really good quality frames with price no object, I would go to Japan.
    ...who then will outsource to China. You can get the quality you want from China but expect to pay for the quality.

Doc

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    I have not seen quotes like you are saying for more than 5 years. Depending on the style we usually accept orders for 200 per style (4-5 colors per styles).

...who then will outsource to China. You can get the quality you want from China but expect to pay for the quality.

Doc
    Can you send me some information? I am particularly interested in Rx-able sunwear.
    If anyone else is out there, please speak up. If you know of any sources, I would greatly appreciate the info. I do understand that these things must be purchased in quantities, I'm just trying to find out what it takes to get into this type of thing these days.
    Anyone... anyone...?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Maybe this is something OBers can do together.

Take 10 OBers, create a style, split it up among us all. It would reduce the cost and give more control.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Maybe this is something OBers can do together.

Take 10 OBers, create a style, split it up among us all. It would reduce the cost and give more control.
    As Doc said, that's no longer necessary. The number of frames needed to place an order has dropped considerably in the last few years.

There's really no reason the average practice can't do it on their own. One of the things I've found is that many indy's are afraid to do the (minimal) work involved, and will say to me, "You buy 300, and I'll take 50 of them".

If you're willing to take 50, then you can take 200. The only real risk involved is in picking the right styles that will sell.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Yes, but economies of scale would reduce the cost.

Banned
    Occupation

Let me help you out

这能够是错误乃是张贴这 ...我肯定某人将告诉我。
    我关于质量读克里斯 Ryser 的邮政,它开始我考虑制造商。曾是更好的框架来自意大利,德国,或者日本 ...
    如果我想有被生产的一些框架作为我的自己的“品牌”我哪里会去?任何想法?(我为了 opthalmic sunwear 在考虑这。我没有是所有那些使我看了的牢记,所以我认为我会看什么选择外面在那里。)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gemstone,

Where'd you go to school?

There's no "能够是" in "错误乃是张贴这" 这能"!

Duh!!!!

:bbg:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    That's just hilarious!
    :cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    我不明白?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    The quality of factories varies dramatically. The factory location now matters less and the specific factory selected is the key. Although DocInChina's comments re small order sizes is true, the supply - demand tensions and the impact of foreign exchange rates are now shifting things back to larger order sizes for the larger and better factories in China. Demand for China made frames is growing faster than capacity and European customers are now more lucrative than US customers due to ForEx.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by impact500 View Post
    The quality of factories varies dramatically. The factory location now matters less and the specific factory selected is the key. Although DocInChina's comments re small order sizes is true, the supply - demand tensions and the impact of foreign exchange rates are now shifting things back to larger order sizes for the larger and better factories in China. Demand for China made frames is growing faster than capacity and European customers are now more lucrative than US customers due to ForEx.
    I would qualify this by saying that yes, the "larger and better factories" receive the larger international contracts but they farm out alot of their work to the smaller factories. Often times a smaller factory can produce the same product less expensively because their overhead is smaller.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Doc-

Do you find that the farming out of product leads to copying and undercutting? I had heard this was a problem in years past.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Hey Doc-

Do you find that the farming out of product leads to copying and undercutting? I had heard this was a problem in years past.
    Hey Fezz,

Every company gets ideas from other companies in any field and in any country. Thats why you see many famous brands look similar to other famous brands.

When you say undercutting, are you referring to bidding on work and offering a lower price? Fortunately I do not have to get involved in that. The bulk of the companies I manufacture for I have long relationships with me and they do not pressure me regarding price. They are most interested in quality and appreciate being able to speak to someone whose native language is New Yorkese. ;)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    They are most interested in quality and appreciate being able to speak to someone whose native language is New Yorkese. ;)
    Your New Yorkese was pretty fluent, and the quality of your frames was superb.:cheers:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Your New Yorkese was pretty fluent, and the quality of your frames was superb.:cheers:
    Thanx, Harry. Sadly my New Yorkese becomes Chinglish, especially when I talk with my wife.

Several months ago I had dinner with friends here (who speak zero English) and video taped them saying very vulgar things in English. I cannot imaging what sicko taught them those things! It was quite entertaining.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    DocInChina: <<the "larger and better factories" receive the larger international contracts but they farm out alot of their work to the smaller factories.>>

Some, yes; "a lot" as a % of total production, no. These are giant facilities with thousands of workers. Screws, temple tips, raw acetate sheets, nose pads and such are frequently purchased but a very high percentage of true frame production is in house. Quality control and protection of designs are key factors. These are very modern, comprehensive and high tech operations.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    如果我想有被生产的一些框架作为我的自己的“品牌”我哪里会去?任何想法?(我为了 opthalmic sunwear 在考虑这。我没有是所有那些使我看了的牢记,所以我认为我会看什么选择外面在那里。)
    Cool! My laptop here could read Engdarin (English + Chinese)!! How about you guys?? :cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    It says----Someone is going to tell me that this post is a mistake.

According to Chris Ryster's post, I had considered the best manufacturors were from Italy, German and/or Japan.

If I want to have my own brand names, where would I have my frames to be made (manufactured) and what are my choices??

:idea::shiner:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by impact500 View Post
    Some, yes; "a lot" as a % of total production, no. These are giant facilities with thousands of workers. Screws, temple tips, raw acetate sheets, nose pads and such are frequently purchased but a very high percentage of true frame production is in house. Quality control and protection of designs are key factors. These are very modern, comprehensive and high tech operations.
    You are correct, alot is all relative. As a percentage of total production, the larger factories do most of their own production in house. I stand corrected. :shiner:

Thread Information