View Poll Results: Will Congressman Ron Paul be our next President?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. His libertarian views will appeal to Republicans primarily concerned about fiscal issues.

0 0%
  • Yes. His advocacy of a non-interventionist foreign policy will gather support from Democrats.

1 4.00%
  • No. The mainstream media will continue to shut him out of the coverage he deserves.

4 16.00%
  • No. He’s the Republican version of Dennis Kucinich.

6 24.00%
  • Who the hell is Ron Paul?

14 56.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Congressman Ron Paul be our next President?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Will Congressman Ron Paul be our next President?

What would an Internet forum be without mention of Ron Paul?
    Last edited by 1968; 07-09-2007 at 01:06 AM.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post

Normal?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From the groups showing so far, I think most of us would rather vote for
    Peter Paul (the candy) than any of the candidates.
    Show us a man of strength, integrity, a proven track record (Like Tommy Franks, or Norman Swartzkof) and think the country will vote for them in a New York minite.
    These wishy washy, show me which way the wind blows people would have a hard time rallying the troops to a watermelon picnic.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is alot about Ron Paul I like, there is also alot I really dislike tremendously.

Military leaders rarely make great political leaders, so i would not agree with Chip on this one.

i know who I like so far, but it's still soooo far away, i may change my mind. All I know is who will NOT be winning my vote no matter what.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

I'll admit it - I'm a Ron Paul Fan!

A few months ago, I somehow "found" Ron Paul. The more I researched his stance on the issues, his integrity in voting to the principles of the founding fathers and his nickname being "Dr No" because the lobbyists are turned away from his office, I decided that ALL politicians are not crooks bought off by special interests or flip flopping on the issues depending on which pair of underwear they put on that day.:finger:

I have joined our local meetup groups (we have about 200 members locally and thousands more across the country). Will he win? Who's to say - I'm just really tired of trying to cast my vote by deciding who is the lesser of two evils and crossing my fingers and hoping things will change. :(

So, who IS Ron Paul? Here’s some information if you’re interested in exploring: :idea:

www.ronpaul2008.com

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul's Record:
    He has never voted to raise taxes.
    He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    He has never taken a government-paid junket.
    He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
    He voted against the Patriot Act.
    He voted against regulating the Internet.
    He voted against the Iraq war.
    He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
    He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.
    Here's some articles that you might find interesting

The Reactionary Utopian June 12, 2007
    THE HONOR OF RON PAUL
    by Joe Sobran
    http://www.sobran.com/columns/2007/070612.shtml

Ron Paul Revolution Halftime Report
    by
    James Ostrowski
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/ostrowski/ostrowski83.html

Clinton Surpasses Obama in Site Traffic Race, Paul Rockets to First
    http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3626275

Ron Paul Tops McCain in Cash on Hand

July 06, 2007 1:14 PM
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...ul_tops_m.html

3 of my favorite Ron Paul videos on youtube

Ron Paul is Bill Maher's New Hero
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUYDt7kC3Z0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8&mode=user&search=

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who beside digruntled democrats would want a Rhino like McCain anyway?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think any democrats like McCain anymore...Once he became a lackey for the president he lost all clout as a standup guy
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could I vote for Les Paul instead???!!!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I go with Les Claypool!
    www.opticaljedi.com

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Normal?
    Obviously I did not mean that question in the literal sense. I was referring to the fact that Ron Paul's on-line presence is much larger than any of the other Republican or Democrat candidates (including Obama) and has possibly the most searched name on the Internet over the past few months.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Obviously I did not mean that question in the literal sense. I was referring to the fact that Ron Paul's on-line presence is much larger than any of the other Republican or Democrat candidates (including Obama) and has possibly the most searched name on the Internet over the past few months.
    I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised. I didn't search for him, but I took a look at his web site the other day (found it on the second guess).

Occupation
    I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised. I didn't search for him, but I took a look at his web site the other day (found it on the second guess).
    He's got a tremendous outpouring of support from the American people on line and also off line. I've never met so many people that say "I've never been involved in politics before but I want to get this man elected!" (met in person or on line).

If you're interested, check out some of the youtube videos from supporters - some of the better ones (imho) are by Avaroth.

Someone posted on the Ron Paul Forums today something to the effect: "isn't it odd how Howard Dean was the darling of the media during the last election BECAUSE he was the underdog while Ron Paul is constantly shunned, ignored and marginalized".

His message is such awesome! And I love the fact that he isn't bought by special interests and he actually believes in the Constitution and votes according to its principles.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    He's got a tremendous outpouring of support from the American people on line and also off line. I've never met so many people that say "I've never been involved in politics before but I want to get this man elected!" (met in person or on line).

If you're interested, check out some of the youtube videos from supporters - some of the better ones (imho) are by Avaroth.

Someone posted on the Ron Paul Forums today something to the effect: "isn't it odd how Howard Dean was the darling of the media during the last election BECAUSE he was the underdog while Ron Paul is constantly shunned, ignored and marginalized".

His message is such awesome! And I love the fact that he isn't bought by special interests and he actually believes in the Constitution and votes according to its principles.
    It's that biased, conservative media that ignores him , of course!;)
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, it's corporate media and of course it would ignore him because he's deciededly not corporate
    www.opticaljedi.com

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vote for Orby

THINK I WOULD VOTE FOR ORBY GOAD INSTEAD!
    YOU SHOULD TOO.

Occupation

Thumbs up

July 13, 2007

Press Release: Ron Paul Goes 20/20

GOP presidential candidate's eCampaign reaches unparalleled levels of success
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    July 12, 2007
    ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – The Ron Paul presidential campaign has reached two important benchmarks of success: 20,000 YouTube subscribers and 20,000 Meetup group members.
    As of today, the Paul Campaign's YouTube channel has 20,302 subscribers, giving the organization a powerful platform for their popular videos. The GOP candidate with the second most subscribers is Mitt Romney with 2,416. Barack Obama has 8,807.
    Dr. Paul also has 20,677 individuals in 428 cities across America signed up though Meetup.com to participate in grassroots activities. Meetup members have thus far held 1,127 events for Dr. Paul: walking neighborhoods, making signs and handing out literature. Barack Obama has 5,327 Meetup group members, while Mitt Romney has 29.
    "Our campaign is growing by the day," said campaign chairman Kent Snyder. "Dr. Paul's message of freedom, peace and prosperity is spreading across the country like wild fire. It is exciting to see online attention translate to action on the ground."
    -30-

Technorati: 8 links to this itemSave to del.icio.us (1 save)Digg This! (73 Diggs, 7 comments)Share on FacebookDiscuss on NewsvineStumble It! (1 Reviews)

Posted on July 13, 2007 at 03:40 AM | Permalink

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    Well, it's corporate media and of course it would ignore him because he's deciededly not corporate
    I do think the amount of support a candidate receives is somewhat tied to the amount of press that candidate receives, but I cannot understand why some candidates get much more press than others... particularly when there is so little deviation on the major issues. On the Republican side, why does Senator McCain get more press/support than Senator Brownback? Why does former Governor Romney get more press/support than former Governors Huckabee, T. Thompson, Gilmore, and Pataki? I swear this is Wag the Dog.

Occupation
    With people like Stepanopoulos smugly saying that there is no way Ron Paul can win, it's easy to get discouraged. But here are some things to keep in mind (taken from lewrockewell.com): Writes Justin Ptak: "At this point in the cycle, national polls are entirely a reflection of name identification, not voters' views of the candidates.
    In early 1975, Carter was polling at 1% (he went on to win the Presidency).
    In early 1987, Dukakis was polling at 1% (he went on to win the Democratic nomination).
    In early 1991, Clinton was at 2% (he went on to win the Presidency).
    In the spring of 1999, John McCain was polling at 3% (he went on to win the NH primary).
    In early 2003, Joe Lieberman was leading the field for the Democratic presidential nomination (he failed to win any primary).

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    GOS: Joe Lieberman lost be cause he made sense, what Democrat wants that?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lieberman lost cause he isn't really a Democrat.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    July 17, 2007

Message from Ron Paul

What a day and half in northern California! On Friday, my first appointment was at 6:00 am, and my day ended at 11:00 pm. I did radio and tv interviews in San Francisco, followed by a meeting with the editorial board of the San Francisco Chronicle. The questions were tough but fair: my favorite! Meanwhile, more and more interview requests pour into the campaign. There is a real hunger for our ideas, even in the mainstream media. The message of liberty is popular!
    Then I headed for Google, one of America’s great businesses. Some of the young stars who populate that company took me on a tour of a firm that seemed like a university student union. I saw where everyone works, eats, and exercises. Next I did a political YouTube interview with questions submitted from the web. I was told that never had Google, in the entire history of this series, received the sheer number of questions that it had for my interview. People care about freedom.
    Then I spent an hour answering questions from Google employees, crowded into a large room with overflow rooms overflowing too. Next was fascinating briefing from some of the technical heads of Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Apps, and other extraordinary innovations. Then there was a press conference for the media gathered in a company courtyard, and then a fundraising reception that a group of Google employees had organized off-site. In the evening there was another successful fundraiser.
    Saturday morning was the Silicon Valley Meetup in a park right next to Google. A huge and enthusiastic crowd was there to hear about our ideas, and the diversity was astounding. There were bikers in leather and hippies, young parents and grandparents, high-tech workers and business owners, and so many young Americans.
    I talked about all our ideas: marching out of Iraq just as we marched in; no more meddling in the Middle East; bringing the troops home, from hundreds of expensive bases all over the world, so that we could have the money we need for the transition to freedom in social programs, and to abolish the personal income tax and the IRS. They are not compatible with a free society.
    In a Ron Paul administration, we would also repeal the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act, restore habeas corpus and stop the spying on Americans. No more eavesdropping on our emails and bank accounts, our phone calls, home and businesses. No national ID—just the bracing freedom of the Constitution.
    We must have sound money, and not a giant counterfeiting machine called the Federal Reserve that causes recessions and inflation. We must have private property rights, with no pollution or other attacks on property. We should enforce the Second Amendment, and all the Bill of Rights. We can have privacy for us, not secrecy for a corrupt bureaucracy.
    It is all within our grasp, the restoration of the republic and our sovereignty—no UN, no North American Union, no Nafta, no WTO, no World Bank, no IMF. Just federalism, free enterprise, peace, prosperity, and the kind of future we all want for our families, ourselves, and our fellow Americans.
    The dream can be a reality. You can help make it so. Please: make your most generous donation to this effort for America’s future (https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/). Instead of wars and inflation and spying and poverty, we can have peace and freedom and the blessings for our children and grandchildren of doing better than we have, of secure retirements and childhoods. No more theft—of our savings or our liberty.
    Please—give to this campaign, for all our futures (https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/).

Sincerely, Ron

Technorati: 3 links to this itemSave to del.icio.us (1 save)Digg This! (49 Diggs, 7 comments)Share on FacebookDiscuss on NewsvineStumble It!

Posted on July 17, 2007 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    July 17, 2007

Message from Ron Paul

What a day and half in northern California! On Friday, my first appointment was at 6:00 am, and my day ended at 11:00 pm. I did radio and tv interviews in San Francisco, followed by a meeting with the editorial board of the San Francisco Chronicle. The questions were tough but fair: my favorite! Meanwhile, more and more interview requests pour into the campaign. There is a real hunger for our ideas, even in the mainstream media. The message of liberty is popular!
    Then I headed for Google, one of America’s great businesses. Some of the young stars who populate that company took me on a tour of a firm that seemed like a university student union. I saw where everyone works, eats, and exercises. Next I did a political YouTube interview with questions submitted from the web. I was told that never had Google, in the entire history of this series, received the sheer number of questions that it had for my interview. People care about freedom.
    Then I spent an hour answering questions from Google employees, crowded into a large room with overflow rooms overflowing too. Next was fascinating briefing from some of the technical heads of Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Apps, and other extraordinary innovations. Then there was a press conference for the media gathered in a company courtyard, and then a fundraising reception that a group of Google employees had organized off-site. In the evening there was another successful fundraiser.
    Saturday morning was the Silicon Valley Meetup in a park right next to Google. A huge and enthusiastic crowd was there to hear about our ideas, and the diversity was astounding. There were bikers in leather and hippies, young parents and grandparents, high-tech workers and business owners, and so many young Americans.
    I talked about all our ideas: marching out of Iraq just as we marched in; no more meddling in the Middle East; bringing the troops home, from hundreds of expensive bases all over the world, so that we could have the money we need for the transition to freedom in social programs, and to abolish the personal income tax and the IRS. They are not compatible with a free society.
    In a Ron Paul administration, we would also repeal the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act, restore habeas corpus and stop the spying on Americans. No more eavesdropping on our emails and bank accounts, our phone calls, home and businesses. No national ID—just the bracing freedom of the Constitution.
    We must have sound money, and not a giant counterfeiting machine called the Federal Reserve that causes recessions and inflation. We must have private property rights, with no pollution or other attacks on property. We should enforce the Second Amendment, and all the Bill of Rights. We can have privacy for us, not secrecy for a corrupt bureaucracy.
    It is all within our grasp, the restoration of the republic and our sovereignty—no UN, no North American Union, no Nafta, no WTO, no World Bank, no IMF. Just federalism, free enterprise, peace, prosperity, and the kind of future we all want for our families, ourselves, and our fellow Americans.
    The dream can be a reality. You can help make it so. Please: make your most generous donation to this effort for America’s future (https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/). Instead of wars and inflation and spying and poverty, we can have peace and freedom and the blessings for our children and grandchildren of doing better than we have, of secure retirements and childhoods. No more theft—of our savings or our liberty.
    Please—give to this campaign, for all our futures (https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/).

Sincerely, Ron

Technorati: 3 links to this itemSave to del.icio.us (1 save)Digg This! (49 Diggs, 7 comments)Share on FacebookDiscuss on NewsvineStumble It!

Posted on July 17, 2007 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

I find it amusing that Mr. Paul choose to spend a day at Google since it is such a great company that cares about freedom that they participate in censorship in their foreign markets. couldn't have any of that pesky free exchange of ideas in communist regimes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, they all do that if they want access to the Chinese market, but at least Google fought giving over info to the government longer than the others.
    www.opticaljedi.com

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I find it amusing that Mr. Paul choose to spend a day at Google since it is such a great company that cares about freedom that they participate in censorship in their foreign markets. couldn't have any of that pesky free exchange of ideas in communist regimes.
    Why pick on Paul or Google? The United States trades heavily with China... what does that say about the rest of us?

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why pick on Paul or Google? The United States trades heavily with China... what does that say about the rest of us?
    Actually just picking on google mr. paul is a politician (this is a slur, and equally applied across party lines) and does what he must to drum up votes. So what is the cost of doing business with china? What values are you willing to give up, rather than stand up for?

You could argue that by purchasing or selling goods made in china I support the regime. Goods ,while suppling money, do not of themselves prevent the free exchange of ideas. I would argue that unfortunately the US labor pool has overpriced themselves and it would be darn near impossible to purchase American or European not because I wouldn't spend more for the same product, I would, because the products are simply not made anymore. I buy gas that comes from terrorist supporting regimes (save the caribou) not because I support terrorism but because I need to get to work.

Thread Information