Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Progressive and why

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What is your favorite Progressive and why

Looking over all the progressives on the market, i was interested in knowing what are the favorites out there and why?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    younger image

Dollar for Dollar best progressive on the market without a close second.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I love the Ovation ADS (I think the Accolade there) and the Ellipse.

I have always liked the Ovation design and price. Now that it has been digitalized the design is still there, but better. The Ellipse has been a wonderful super short corridor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have recently aquired the Ellipse 360 in my new Gucci and love it, and so my new favorite. The fact that I can say "trust me, I wear them and they are great."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I have recently aquired the Ellipse 360 in my new Gucci and love it, and so my new favorite. The fact that I can say "trust me, I wear them and they are great."
    Ellipse 360? Is that the digitalized version?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Sorry, I just can't help myself. Is it your new favorite because it was free or because it is noticibly better than your previous favorite? After all, it is a short corridor lens and not everyone is happy with that configuration.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Sorry, I just can't help myself. Is it your new favorite because it was free or because it is noticibly better than your previous favorite? After all, it is a short corridor lens and not everyone is happy with that configuration.
    We have been using the Ellipse since its inception. I get amazing reviews from it. I know when I use it I never have problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    It wasn't free at all, neither was the frame. I find a noticible difference between this Ellipse and the one I still have in my other frame. I need a short corridor lens in my frames and haven't had any problems with that configuration but I have never worn anything but Ellipse and Panamic.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Ellipse 360? Is that the digitalized version?

Like the Physio 360 only short corridor.

Occupation
    Can't wait until that is available in Canada. Give us another step above the competition.

Banned
    Occupation
    I thought the 10-30 was special. I was not wearing progresives at that time. The 10-30, never been anything like it and never will.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    I thought the 10-30 was special. I was not wearing progresives at that time. The 10-30, never been anything like it and never will.
    10-30?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    10-30?
    Younger Optics - supposedly 10 mm corridor width/30mm seg width.
    All in all a pretty nice lens for it's time.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pal -

I have also been very please with the Ellipse - i have not had one perosn that has not raved about the optics as well as hearing time after time - that it feels like they are wearing a single vision lens -

I have seen that essilor came out with the Ellipse 360 - however my feelings on that are - i may keep it in the back of my mind - but why would i want to pay such a price - for the free form product - when so many are EXTREMLY PLEASED with the regualar - ?

I know that some folks - always want the PT to have the latest - ( and usually not the greatest thing ) - just becuase it is the newest - but i have found that once you find a product that you love - why change it so quickly -

Take for instance - the physio and 360 version - to many times in the beginning - i thoguht this lenses would be the best - based on the the sales rep presentaion - and info however - in the end - it was far from it - and i need to always check myself to ensure i do not get rapped up with any lens rep trying to push their product -

I understand - that every PT - is differant - and it is our job - to listen to their needs - look and see what they are currently wearing and maybe what they had in the past -- and choose the right product for them now - however - i have found that newer DOES NOT MEAN Better !!
    Others pal - i had great success with are the image - natural - and Gradal Top - and GT2

my free form lens of choice is the ID -

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DEFINITY! :-)
    And if you don't like that, Varilux Comfort.

Coco, Have you worn the P360, and did you like it?
    I seem to have had the worst of luck with that lens, almost a 100% non adapt rate! :-0

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fwiw

My *flavor* of the day with progressives is Accolade & Accolade Freedom.

Comfort wearers especially like the distance with Accolade

barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ellipse without a doubt. I wear them, and truly of all the progressive brands I've dispensed this has near to an immediate adaptation for most wearers whether new to progressives or not. I have them, and for the most part they're as close to a single vision lens I could imagine a progressive to be (with a +1.75 add). High astigmats find the Physio wonderful but otherwise I've never, never had anyone with under a 2.50cyl find any benefit whatsoever in this design over the Comfort or Gradal Top.. My hubby (not an optician, he's a truck and heavy equipment driver) went from a +1.75 add with Comfort in his dress glasses and a Panamic in his work frames, to a +2.25 and now Ellipse and will no longer wear his 'work' glasses, period. And he's one of the most particular progressive wearers I've ever come across.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Definity here
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    DEFINITY! :-)
    And if you don't like that, Varilux Comfort.

Coco, Have you worn the P360, and did you like it?
    I seem to have had the worst of luck with that lens, almost a 100% non adapt rate! :-0
    Haven't because it did not come short corridor. Doctor wears it and loves it. We fit it slightly high because we found it worked better.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question on Ellipse.

For all of you that like the Ellipse, I have a question. I have read that the intermediate area of this lens is very small. Has this been a problem or concern with patients that have a +2.00 add or more? What has your personal experience been with the intermediate area?

I personally sell a lot of Phyios, Definity Short, and Ellipse. If someone wants a cheaper lens I often use Ovation. I also like the Sola One but don't sell it as much because it takes a while to get through the labs I use.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    For all of you that like the Ellipse, I have a question. I have read that the intermediate area of this lens is very small. Has this been a problem or concern with patients that have a +2.00 add or more? What has your personal experience been with the intermediate area?

I personally sell a lot of Phyios, Definity Short, and Ellipse. If someone wants a cheaper lens I often use Ovation. I also like the Sola One but don't sell it as much because it takes a while to get through the labs I use.
    The people who I first started fitting the lens up with were mostly office workers, and they love it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, this thread sounds like it was sponsored by Essilor. I don't have bad things to say about Essilor lenses, but I see lots of lenses from other opticals and this is what I see lots of: Ovation, SolaMax, XL, Compact, Comfort, Natural, and a few Panamics. Maybe in a couple of years I will see Ellipses, Physios and Definity. But I want to hear from those people that dispense lots of these lenses above. Why are they your favs?

I agree with the 2nd post that the Image is the best lens dollar for dollar. Also it comes in everything imaginable, and it is sometimes the ONLY blank big enough for a wrap. Oakley uses it in their Rx jobs, so it must be the best, because Oakley only uses the best and they charge very high prices. But Image is not my favorite lens. People have non-specific "wierdness" issues with it. I wear it myself, and I can wear anything.

Here is a sleeper that you should try. Excelite Minuo (16mm MFH). Good short-corridor, available in Trivex, 1.60, and CR-39 only. Good price. New design.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Wow, this thread sounds like it was sponsored by Essilor. I don't have bad things to say about Essilor lenses, but I see lots of lenses from other opticals and this is what I see lots of: Ovation, SolaMax, XL, Compact, Comfort, Natural, and a few Panamics. Maybe in a couple of years I will see Ellipses, Physios and Definity. But I want to hear from those people that dispense lots of these lenses above. Why are they your favs?

I agree with the 2nd post that the Image is the best lens dollar for dollar. Also it comes in everything imaginable, and it is sometimes the ONLY blank big enough for a wrap. Oakley uses it in their Rx jobs, so it must be the best, because Oakley only uses the best and they charge very high prices. But Image is not my favorite lens. People have non-specific "wierdness" issues with it. I wear it myself, and I can wear anything.

Here is a sleeper that you should try. Excelite Minuo (16mm MFH). Good short-corridor, available in Trivex, 1.60, and CR-39 only. Good price. New design.

Well I think a lot of it has to do with the market for your store. From your posts I see that you do rather well with lenses like VIP, Image, and Adapter, and I respect that.

For me, everyone else in town is selling those lenses. We started carrying the Ellipse and Ovation for their ability to fit in smaller frames. Ovation, because at the time only AO Compact was available at 17mm, and I am not a fan of that lens. From that we saw that our patients were seeing a great difference over lenses like the Natural. When Essilor came out with the Ovation ADS and did so for only a few dollars more, it worked out very well for us. Unlike the Physio, the Ovation is a proven design, so making it digitalized only made it better. The Ellipse was the 14mm lens that we wanted to try out, and the adaption and most of all quality of adaption were very successful for us, not only as a short corridor, but against other lenses.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

But Image is not my favorite lens. People have non-specific "wierdness" issues with it. I wear it myself, and I can wear anything.
    I can wear any progressive, also, but I sure like some more then others. I have the Image in my sunglasses and it isn't my favorite. The distance is great and the reading is fine, but it seems harder somehow then some of my other progressives. I am much more aware of the distortion in the lower outside areas of the lenses.

I won a free pair of Image Trivex lenses and made them up for my husband. He wore then for a couple of days and told me he didn't like them, they seemed swimmy to him. He never wore them again. :( The lenses were free, but I had paid for a premium AR.

I know lots of people really like this lens, but to me it's just okay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Piccolo

Piccolo. Why? I've worn AO Compact, Comfort, Panamic (felt like someone had stuck their finger in my eye), Outlook, Illumina, Genesis (great, but not in poly) and GT2. Piccolo is the most comfortable lens I've worn with smooth transition from top to bottom. I spend most of my 'free' time at the pc and the intermediate is very usable for a short corridor. It is priced below many I've tried and I have had VERY few non-adapts. It is probably the worst-marketed lens in history, probably because it is made by perhaps the most clueless marketing team in the game - Shamir. (Check out their ad in most recent VisionCareProductNews on about pg 6. Anyone that would talk about their lens having '6 times more resolution' now that it is made with 'FreeForm Optics' and then show a 'before' picture that fuzzy is not only clueless IMO, but really just plain stupid).

Wow, this thread sounds like it was sponsored by Essilor.
    And now Oakley apparently because to say that...
    Image is the best lens dollar for dollar.
    ...and then follow it up with...
    Oakley uses it in their Rx jobs, so it must be the best...
    ...doesn't make any sense to me. You start out saying it's the best lens 'dollar for dollar', which I have no problem with, but to follow it up with...
    ... because Oakley only uses the best and they charge very high prices.
    ...is a little puzzling. Oakley is fabulous at marketing their product and I do agree they make great stuff, but no lens is better than another simply because 'someone special' markets it - even Oakley.

No offense intended - just my opinion. :)

Thread Information