Thread: Having ermergency e-mail problem.................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs down Having ermergency e-mail problem.................

For the last 2 weeks I have been getting an average of 40-50 Nigerian Type e-mails per day. (like I should be getting $ 10,000,000 but have to give all my credentials......most probably for identity theft)

So I took a recourse and forwarded these e-mails to the RCMP, (Royal Candian Mounted Police) Fraud Squad. Wo arrested a ring of these same type e-mail producers in Toronto, all of them Canadians.

I also replied to the e-mails for the last 3 days,advising them that:

Your fraudulent Spam e-mail has been forwarded to the RCMP (Canadian Royal Mounted Police) Fraud Squad for further research of your IP address and advice the police authorities in your area. You should expect ..some action by the authorities against you in the near future.

All this resulting in that of this morning I had over 6000 spam e-mails in my mailbox which I deleted at 6am. And now at 1pm there are another 6278 like the following:

Sat Jul 07, 20075kMail Administrator Mail System Error - Returned Mail

It is a really frustarating situation and I am kind of a loss, as this has never happened before.

If anyone has has a similar expierience and or a solution I would be very thankful.
    Chris Ryser :hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well what are you waiting for it's time to get paid and retire. :D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    When you actually REPLY to one of those - it informs them of an active email address. Hence, you get overwhelmed with new junk mail, since they know it is a good address. You should always delete, without a reply. Even to those junk accounts that ask you to reply as a method to get off of their listings.

I get few junk emails (except for those few sites I actually leave an email address on) and have never had a virus on my home system.
    J. R. Smith

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You do know that your E.Mail program will allow you set up certian rules, like delete all addressed from X or have Y in the message, etc. Really easy way to get rid of this stuff.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bummer

Chris,
    This past week I started getting nailed at my website's domain email address too, nowhere as severe as you. With help from my hosting company I discovered this tidbit that may or not be helpful...
    Thru my hosting company I am able to set a 'default email address' so that ANY message that comes to the domain thelensguru.com (ie chris@thelensguru.com) will automatically be forwarded to me at tony@thelensguru.com even if there is no such email address associated with it. When I discovered that, I thought it would be a great idea in case someone misspelled my name or whatever so I wouldn't miss a message.

I changed it without really thinking about any consequence and basically forgot about it. About 2 weeks ago I started getting spammed for the first time ever and was really puzzled. I decided a coupla days ago to contact support and one of the questions they asked me is if I had set a 'default address' because if I had, anything that came thru my domain, even if it would normally be identified by the Spam Assassin program, would be allowed thru. It was only then that I realized I had recently set the default address. Sure enuf, when I went in and got rid of it the spam has stopped and I have not received a single spam message since.

I hope for your sake it is something as simple as this because it is really a pain I know. I hope the best for you :cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    For the last 2 weeks I have been getting an average of 40-50 Nigerian Type e-mails per day. (like I should be getting $ 10,000,000 but have to give all my credentials......most probably for identity theft)

So I took a recourse and forwarded these e-mails to the RCMP, (Royal Candian Mounted Police) Fraud Squad. Wo arrested a ring of these same type e-mail producers in Toronto, all of them Canadians.

I also replied to the e-mails for the last 3 days,advising them that:

Your fraudulent Spam e-mail has been forwarded to the RCMP (Canadian Royal Mounted Police) Fraud Squad for further research of your IP address and advice the police authorities in your area. You should expect ..some action by the authorities against you in the near future.

All this resulting in that of this morning I had over 6000 spam e-mails in my mailbox which I deleted at 6am. And now at 1pm there are another 6278 like the following:

Sat Jul 07, 20075kMail Administrator Mail System Error - Returned Mail
    It is a really frustarating situation and I am kind of a loss, as this has never happened before.
    If anyone has has a similar expierience and or a solution I would be very thankful.
    Chris Ryser :hammer:
    Blame it on Stephan Harper making his friend the head of the RCMP

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

never reply never open unknown attachments

If your using a web based email, you can adjust filters on your ISP account page, spam block, also the ISP will generate another email to the sender to ask i they want to request access to your email, so for every email they send to you they get one back in response, but not from you the ISP they will tire in a month and stop. Spammers hate spam. Import your address book to your allowed folder (it might be done with a simple clickbox) then for the next few days and then periodically access blocked emails via ISP account page and allow friends access.

Hope this helps

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper

Thanks for the help and advise.

Took me an hour to stop ,the forwarding from my website and filter my yahoo web address so that all these thousands of returned spam e-mails go straight into the trash and will not block my mailbox like this morning. It stopped accepting e-mails after 6500 came in. I had already cleared over 4000 in the early morning.

Well what are you waiting for it's time to get paid and retire. :D
    If those scammers actually would pay instead of stealing,I could retire and start my own spam company :bbg:

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

TLG...You posting your site came at the perfect time for me since I am just about to gather centration charts.. phew, now i don't need to phone anyone and have access at the tip of my fingers... whooot!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    thelensguru.com :cheers:
    Last edited by Snitgirl; 07-07-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    .. phew, now i don't need to phone anyone and have access at the tip of my fingers... whooot!
    Ahhhhhh....the power and beauty of the World Wide Web

Occupation
    Optometrist
    More helpful hints to stop spam:

Messages can be set to request a "read receipt" from the addressee. Check your preferences to make sure you're not sending read receipts or else the spammers get a reply whether you delete it or not.

Emails with html pictures linked in them can have unique addresses so if you view these pictures the spammer knows you did. Make sure your email client doesn't use HTML without your permission.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    relocated to appropriate forum since it is a non-optical related topic.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

spam

Loved it better when you could only put in on a sandwich!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

???

Quote Originally Posted by ShuString View Post
    Loved it better when you could only put in on a sandwich!!!
    Seriously??? Yuk!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

yuk?

a little mustard, not bad.......

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Tony that site is AWESOME! Do you have something I can hand out to my accounts with the website address on it??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Let's talk....

Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    ...Do you have something I can hand out to my accounts with the website address on it??
    I would be more than happy to supply you with whatever would work best for you. We can do a half or quarter page flyer, business card or whatever you might want to use depending on how you wish to distribute them. Feel free to PM me or contact me directly by email at tony@thelensguru.com and I'll get you something ASAP. Thank you for your interest and for the nice comment. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thread Information