Thread: Silhouette m6547 edging problem

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Silhouette m6547 edging problem

Has anyone had trouble edging the silhouette shape m6547? I am finding that the wheel on the edger is missing the indentation on the temporal edge. I have attached the drill chart. I have talked to a number of labs & they have told me it cant be done. It really doesnt miss by much... unless you have a very detailed oriented customer. Solutions????

Thanks

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m6547.jpg  

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When I was in the lab teh Gerber we had would always miss - but the Optronics6 got it every time but the edge polish always looked like crap because the blades create that wonderful railroad track effect.

We finally had our full service lab do those shapes - they never had a problem with them. Lab president told me they ran them on either their Santinelli or Briot.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What labs could not make this shape?

Heck, I could run downstairs and fire up my old Weco 440 and crank one of these bad boys out.

Worse case scenario-ask your lab why they have such unskilled help that they could not even hand shape such an easy lens shape.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper By hand................

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Heck, I could run downstairs and fire up my old Weco 440 and crank one of these bad boys out.
    Good boy Fezz.......................I have to agree with you, actually if nothing else works I would do the lenses by hand......like in the old days.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    What labs could not make this shape?

Worse case scenario-ask your lab why they have such unskilled help that they could not even hand shape such an easy lens shape.
    Well...if you try it you will see that it will miss on any diamond stone (by a few mm). It's impossible to get into that space by hand edging. I was wondering if there was some sort of router bit avail that might do the trick.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Scott-

I sell this shape frequently. I have not had any problems from the lab. I just edged a demo lens with my old Horizon II dry cut edger. It has the router type blade. No problem. I have done this type of shape in the past (facet jobs=mid-eighties) where I would hand edge by using the edge/side of the handstone to form and shape. Hope you can visualize that. It was sorta like going horizontal instead of vertical with the wheel. Do you have a Dremel hand drill? If not, pick one up. They are invaluable around the office. I use mine to drill, grind, polish and hand shape lenses. Good luck!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    I was about to suggest a dremel, nice move Fezz. You can hand shape what ever you need with a dremel ad the right bit. When your done safety bevel and polish it up and no one is the wiser. Or spend thousands on a new santinelli ME 1000 edger which has a router bit in it for curves that are steeper than your wheel.:hammer:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    To give Scott a bit of benefit - that temperal curve is tighter than the overgrown wheel in found in many edgers. Edgers with smaller wheels or dry cut edgers really don't have a problem. My only issue with this shape was getting it polished - in the lab where I worked at the time we had a Gerber Triumph and an Optronics 6 - neither did a great job of polishing and our rag wheel had a lot to be desired - so we had our full service lab run those shapes - but they never missed on one.

So I'm with Fezz - you really need to find a lab that is capable of this shape considering it's not that difficult a shape to run. If you send anything more difficult to your lab you're going to have them very befuttled.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Briot Alta

I know for a fact that the new Briot Alta can create that shape with ease

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Edging unusual shapes

THe Optronics series can do this with no hassle. The automated polish cycle does leave something to be desired. Auto polish is a great first step you need to finish the job. If polishing CR-39 first step on a full rim would be a yellow buffing wheel with krystal kleer a brownish plastic polish....that gets rid of the worst of the cut marks. Next step is a white cotton wheel with white jewelers rough as the polish....mind you light pressure on both. adjust polishes for different materials....poly first polish white rouge second polish blue which is even finer
    Or try liquid lens polish it comes in a paint marker type pen mount the lens in your manual groover and run it around 2 full turns very even and near
    Ed

MSEd, BBA, AAS Ophthalmic Dispensing
    ABOC NCLC FNAO FOAA

Thread Information