Thread: High plus wrapped polarized lens?

Occupation
    Optometrist

High plus wrapped polarized lens?

I've got a patient with the following Rx:
    OD: +5.00 -2.50 x 098

He wants an Oakley Square Wire 2.0 (8-base wrap) with polarized grey C lenses. The decentration for finish blocking will be 8.5 mm in for each eye.

Now I know these will be thick nasally, but does anyone out there know of a good polarized single vision aspheric lens in either polycarb or 1.67 that's available in an 8.00 or 9.00 base curve?

Is the KBco SV Wrap Aspheric HC16 (1.586 index) my best bet? They have a 1.67 Aspheric but it only comes in a 5.669 TC as its highest curve.

Thanks!

-Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have a few options: Maybe(I say maybe because power may be pushing it)

1.) Three Rivers Optical-They can make a polarized wrap job in just about any material. They have a "Free Lens Series" which is worth checking into.
    2.) Pech Optical-They can do wrap Rx's with ease. They have MEI edgers, which handle the wigh wraps. I have not used them, but others on here have and they have a very good reputation.
    3.) Ice-Tech-This is another company using "Free-Form" technology to design and produce wrap RXs. A fellow Optiboarder, AWTECH, owns this company. contact him.

The above companies can use Poly or 1.67 polarized with no problem.

Keep in mind that the rx MUST be compensated for the wrap and tilt effects that are created. The above companies can and will do the calculations for you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First of all, stick with a SPHERICAL +8.00 base curve. Make sure you "spread" the centration by computing the proper PD for blocking for this wrap angle. Take only 60% of the compensated prism, and Know in advance that this job is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I wouldn't make it

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 06-30-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    1.) Three Rivers Optical-They can make a polarized wrap job in just about any material. They have a "Free Lens Series" which is worth checking into.
    How does the "Free Lens Series" work?

-Steve

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini
    First of all, stick with a SPHERICAL +8.00 base curve. Make sure you "spread" the centration by computing the proper PD for blocking for this wrap angle. Take only 60% of the compensated prism, and Know in advance that this job is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I wouldn't make it

Barry
    It's only afetr your painstaking work to make something like this that the patient decides that they don't look good and they don't want it. :angry: I wouldn't make it eigther.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Occupation
    Two cautions for you Dr.
    With a wrap an aspheric lens is most likely to need too much prism for decentration resulting in the OC being well into the aspheric area of the lens.

Watch the cut out on the polarized lenses on large a measurement frames . Most polarized lenses have white notches indicating the 180 line for the polarization. They often will not cut out on very large frames. I have eaten many for this reason. The published nominal blank size does not consider this.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I couldn't figure out the rationale behind Barry's comments about going with a spherical lens until gemstone mentioned the thing about the decentration outside of the spherical zone. Thanks!

This frame is a 54 mm A by about 30 mm B (with a 19 mm DBL if I remember correctly), not really too large for most standard polarized blanks, especially if you are grinding with prism for decentration.

I think I might just try it in spherical Polycarb on Monday to see how the higher plus eye looks (adjusting axis for wrap & panto) and go from there. Might just either tint it after that or go ahead and order polarized polycarb if it looks okay.

Alternatively, I suppose I could just go ahead and order a 1.67 Spherical lens blank and go from there if the polycarb is too thick nasally and then tint it. We think the guy might be willing to sacrifice polarization after talking about it some more today.

-Steve

Occupation
    The worst thing about the rx is the inset required, although on the right eye is not a big deal since the power at the 180 is minimal, the left is a little more of a challange with +5.00 at the 180. If he decides to give up the polarization it will give you more flexibility by allowing you a thinner ET.

what edger are you using?

Ibrahim

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

ICE-TECH solution

ICE-TECH does offer a great solution that will work for the patient.

Our products all come with backside AR and super hydrophobic.

The design is fully compensated and a custom backside aspheric surface is produced using our digital surfacing.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I might try this just for the heck of it on Monday with a SV poly blank on one eye, can tint it later if I want to.

We have a Horizon II with patternless upgrade but we'll also have a Santinelli 9000SX Express running on Monday as well.

AWTECH sent me some info that I haven't had a chance to look over yet but what he's talking about sounds pretty cool.

-Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just curious, have you tried oakley for making the lenses? If nothing else, they might be able to give you a good idea of why this is not a good idea.

I had a girl recently, -6, insistant on large, wrapped frames. I've seen many problems with this this summer, and I warned her that I thought she'd need to go much smaller and much flatter.
    Long story short, I called Maui Jim (that was the frame she wanted, one of the new drill mt sports) and the lady at CS was able to tell me on the spot that even in high index, the lens thickness would have been almost 3cm. That got the point across to my pt better than my telling her vague, "in theory," reasons.

I applaud your efforts in searching out a solution for your pt, however! ;-)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, called Oakley and they told me the thickness would be "at least" 5 mm but perhaps thicker. They couldn't be much more specific beyond that.

This patient is used to poly aspheric, not even 1.67, so I would think that a 1.67 would look pretty good, especially with the interesting back aspheric stuff that AWTECH can do.

-Steve

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    you've been an optician too long if you give the customer exactly what they ask for.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could you send me some info. on your prices etc. on your wrap jobs?
    I do alot of motorcycle riding glasses and would consider checking your co. out.
    Wayne Optical Co.
    1417 N. George st.
    York, PA 17404
    att. Shannon (owner)

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Why not let Oakley do it? One, they know their products better than anyone. Two, they have some of if not the best processing equipment on the market. Three, allowing Oakley to run the job puts any breakage (including frame) on them - not you or your lab.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

iRx Polaroid

Specialty Lens Corporation makes a 1.67 SV and 1.67 SV Aspheric up to an 8 base in gray and brown. They have an availability chart at www.irxlens.com.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just wanted to post an update on this. I went ahead and ordered this job from AWTECH's Ice-Tech company and they decided that a back-surface aspheric lens in polarized grey was going to be the best choice.

We got the job back and it looked incredible, given the prescription involved. The patient was ecstatic that they could have a "normal" looking pair of sunglasses. He also loves the vision out of them.

It was pricey, but I would recommend AWTECH's company to anyone after this experience!

Thanks Alan, and good job!

-Steve

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dweinstein View Post
    Specialty Lens Corporation makes a 1.67 SV and 1.67 SV Aspheric up to an 8 base in gray and brown. They have an availability chart at www.irxlens.com.
    I alomst spit soda all over the computer when I saw the 1980 Doge Aries give away from them, what kind of prize is that. I'll give them a dodge aries to stop offering that.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    I just wanted to post an update on this. I went ahead and ordered this job from AWTECH's Ice-Tech company and they decided that a back-surface aspheric lens in polarized grey was going to be the best choice.

We got the job back and it looked incredible, given the prescription involved. The patient was ecstatic that they could have a "normal" looking pair of sunglasses. He also loves the vision out of them.

It was pricey, but I would recommend AWTECH's company to anyone after this experience!

Thanks Alan, and good job!

-Steve
    Steve:

I am glad to hear both you and the patient were happy with the results. If I recall that job also had a green mirror on it also.

I hear that we are more expensive than some but when you consider that all of our jobs come with a very durable backside AR with a super hydrophobic, in may cases we are even lower than a traditionally surfaced job.

Thanks again for the compliment

Allen Weatherby
    ICE-TECH Advanced Lens Technologies

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Alan - Trust me, I didn't care about the cost. We passed it onto the customer, of course. :)

-Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ice-Tech made a pair of -15.00 -5.25 for a patient of mine. Looked incredible, considering. The lens was actually only 8.2mm at thickest point, if I recall. The price was actually less than my other labs. They had to eat at least 2 lenses during edging, so I'm not sure they made any $, though:shiner:

Can you even get a blank 3cm thick? In ANY material?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Go Ice Tech lenses! I am delighted to hear that you went ahead and let an outside lab that has the proper technology do that job for you. When you explain to a patient that their prescription needs the highest technology advancements offered in order to look well and perform well for them. They usually don't mind paying extra either.

Occupation
    Before I left dispensing I used Ice-Tech for several jobs. He really pulled off a few miracles!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

What about this one???

I have a patient looking to put polarized lenses into a frame with an ED=~71 an A=66 and a B=46 and a base of 6.25. She has a very mild RX(OD=+0.25-0.50x015 OS=+0.50 -0.75x165) and a PD of 64.5. My usual lab won't do it because of the difficulty with finding a polarized blank that big... should I just refund the patient or do I have better options?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Send it to Alan at Ice-Tech. I was quite satisfied, although I know two other labs that might be able to do it.

-Steve

Thread Information