Thread: Nashville - Seeking Experienced Optician

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Thumbs up Nashville - Seeking Experienced Optician

Anderson Eyecare in Nashville, TN is seeking an experienced Optician. Applicants should have exceptional "people skills" and a genuine desire to provide professional care as a Dispensing Optician in a quality/upscale environment. We are a growing private Optometry practice focused on providing quality eyecare and eyewear. Minimum of 2-3 years optical/eyecare experience required. We are willing to sponsor those working towards certification and/or licensure. We offer a positive work environment, competitive benefits and pay, subsidized training/CE, and a mutual commitment to excellence. Interested candidates may respond by emailing their resume' and or job history to eagles-jobs@usa.net or fax to 615-883-9691. Discussions can be confidential.

Please feel free to share this opportunity with anyone you feel might be interested or who may work in the Nashville area.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Idea Any Ideas for TN Optician

I need your help. I have had very little response to newspaper ads, State Association web classified, Optiboard, Frame Reps Searching, Craig's List, and Career Builder .com. I feel I have a good reputation in our Eyecare community and I'm willing to pay competitive wages. It may be that everyone is happy where they are or I'm just not looking in the right places. If I were in your town, how could I attract you or interest you to work as an Optician in an upscale private optometric practice. Please give reasonable examples (i.e. no Million dollar signing bonuses allowed). Your suggestions may help more than one optician elevate their pay and or work environment.

Thanks
    Dr. John

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
    I need your help. I have had very little response to newspaper ads, State Association web classified, Optiboard, Frame Reps Searching, Craig's List, and Career Builder .com. I feel I have a good reputation in our Eyecare community and I'm willing to pay competitive wages. It may be that everyone is happy where they are or I'm just not looking in the right places. If I were in your town, how could I attract you or interest you to work as an Optician in an upscale private optometric practice. Please give reasonable examples (i.e. no Million dollar signing bonuses allowed). Your suggestions may help more than one optician elevate their pay and or work environment.

Thanks
    Dr. John
    Dr John,
    We too have had trouble hiring opticians. Like I told my boss, If your only going to pay "competitive" wages and benefits you will only attract people who are looking for a job now. If you are willing to pay TOP wages, you will get some more resumes. You have to give opticians a reason to want to come to work for you. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ziggy brings up a very good point. By offering a competitive wage and benefits, unless someone is unhappy at there present location and looking for a change, the only responses you get will be those that are unemployed. Paying a competitive wage is a good way to retain employees, but not enough incentive to entice one to change positions. As Ziggy said, you need to offer "Top Salary" to attract candidates.
    Hope this helps.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Idea

Great point. You are 100% correct. Now....assume I offer top pay and benefits. How do I get the word out without going door to door. Classified ads, craigslist, etc.. are probably only viewed by those currently job searching. Have you ever heard of "i-matters" they are a "head hunter" for the ophthalmic industry and say they have several pre-screened and interviewed opticians ready to work. I appreciate your feedback and would like to know how to recruit currently employed opticians without stepping on toes.

John Anderson

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I know, I Matters is a reputable company. Might be worth a shot.
    As far as stepping on toes, it might be unavoidable, to some degree. I have been on both sides of this equation. All you can do is advertise your position. The responses you get from people who are currently employed are usually from people who A) aren't happy where they are, for whatever reason, or B)those who are looking to better themselves.
    They wouldn't be looking otherwise.
    Either scenario could work to your advantage.
    Best of luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say go and visit offices in the area that have a GREAT reputation. Ask to have your glasses adjusted, bring an RX with you and ask for some help. Observe the Optician doing what they do. Are they dynamic, personable, knowledgeable? Are they someone that you think you could sweat, toil, joke with, respect, have major fun, and get the job done with everyday? If not, visit the next shop. If so.....make them an offer they can't refuse. Sweeten the pot. Make them YEARN to work with you. Blow their socks off. If you want to Rock....you gotta Roll. Start rolling and make something happen!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I say go and visit offices in the area that have a GREAT reputation. Ask to have your glasses adjusted, bring an RX with you and ask for some help. Observe the Optician doing what they do. Are they dynamic, personable, knowledgeable? Are they someone that you think you could sweat, toil, joke with, respect, have major fun, and get the job done with everyday? If not, visit the next shop. If so.....make them an offer they can't refuse. Sweeten the pot. Make them YEARN to work with you. Blow their socks off. If you want to Rock....you gotta Roll. Start rolling and make something happen!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Fezz is right, as usual. I just hate that about him!;) I can understand if you might be hesitant to "pluck" an optician from another independent, so start with the chains. Believe it or not, there are some high quality opticians working at these places, especially in a licened state such as TN. Another trail to follow is to contact Roan State CC, in Haramon, just out side of Knoxville. They have an opticianry program there and the instructors are great. You may be able to get a very good young optician still at a reasonable price. What part of Nashville are you in? Just curious. BTW imatters has a very good reputation, but you may spend money that you might could use to "sweeten" that pot with.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder imatters.net's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

i matters!!

Hello all! this is charisse at i matters!
    thank you all for your thoughts and positive responses and what we have to offer....
    without being a huge ad ... here are some thoughts about working with a recruiter...
    1. DATA...find out how much data that they have and what a recruiter has in good candidates for your needs
    2. Do they know the industry.. we find our success rate is 97% given we are both in the industry (opticians, technicians, managers) and professionally trained and governed by the professional recruiters society
    3. can you communicate your exact needs.. does your recruiter understand, terminology..bench, lab, refracting, pupillometer. etc,, those necessary traits that work well in your culture..
    4. pricing and guarantees...you get what you pay for,,, if they don't have data and provide a candidate that you hire but doesn't work out, what happens then, do they have replacement candidates?
    5. confidentiality... it is important for the client and candidates presented..

i matters has a 10 year history for recruiting, education and support of our own with award scholarships, continuing education grants, and great jobs...

Thank you to each and every one of you that has worked with i matters to continue to support our industry and make it even better!!

call us and also get on our list for more details, jobs and our continuing education events and what a good recruiter can do for you and your future..www.imatters.net 866.412.4115

Occupation
    Optometrist

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Fezz is right, as usual. I just hate that about him!;) I can understand if you might be hesitant to "pluck" an optician from another independent, so start with the chains. Believe it or not, there are some high quality opticians working at these places, especially in a licened state such as TN. Another trail to follow is to contact Roan State CC, in Haramon, just out side of Knoxville. They have an opticianry program there and the instructors are great. You may be able to get a very good young optician still at a reasonable price. What part of Nashville are you in? Just curious. BTW imatters has a very good reputation, but you may spend money that you might could use to "sweeten" that pot with.
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have contacted Roane State and I'm about to mail a letter to all licensed Opticians in the state. We'll see how that goes. Ziggy...we are located on the east side of Nashville in the Donelson-Hermitage area approx. 1 mile from Nashville Int. Airport.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.
    John Anderson

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Tennessee State Opticians Board will sell you a address list of all opticians in the state. You could write a nice letter introducing yourself and outlining exact ally what you have to offer. I would probably mail it to every Optician in the state, you never know who might be looking for a change.
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    John,

I may be a bit biased :) but did you try calling the local wholesale labs? We usually have some knowledge about who is where and if people are looking.

Jeff Trail GM
    Southern Optical-Chattanooga

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I might be interested in moving to Nashville! Could you please describe job duties in your office.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Smilie Still Searching

Thanks again to all that have given advice and those that have responded. We did PM Keri but she has decided to stay in Knoxville. We are narrowing our search but would still be happy to hear from anyone else interested in coming to Nashville. Our goal is to find the right match for both parties involved. Nashville is a great town with NFL, NHL, and the new US Headquaters for Nissan Motor Company just to name a few tidbits. We're not just for country music anymore.

John Anderson, O.D.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My wife and I are considering a change - there's nothing around here and the position I'm in I have a feeling is one of those jobs were you help someone back onto their feet and then they run you over with their 4x4. You can PM me or e-mail me through Optiboard - let's talk.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wondering if you found anyone for your office. Take care!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes....We were very lucky to find a great optician who had just moved to Nashville with ~18 years of previous experience. I hope all is going well with you. If your plans have changed, I'm sure there are still openings in the NAshville area. THere were atleast three other offices actively looking at the same time we were advertising.

Good Luck
    John Anderson:)

Thread Information