Thread: Standard Of Living Second To None

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Standard Of Living Second To None

Quite frequently seemingly innocuous posts are diverted into discussions of the economy and in particularly how it sucks. And of course the next step is condemnation of a given administration or political party. All of the usual suspect check in with their usual slant on things and in the end the original subject of the post is long forgotten. Well, that’s cool and I have no problem with casual conversations taking whatever course they may.

Some of these discussions really do get on my goat and I just want to throw my two cents into the pot. I am now retired having spent some forty years in various segments of the eyecare field. I started out real poor and today enjoy a very comfortable life style so to paraphrase some major league ballplayer a few years back: “eyecare has been very very good to me.”

I live in a country where the educational opportunities allow me to achieve at a level equal to my intelligence and desire. I will be the first to admit that it aint always easy; I did my first undergraduate degree working 48 hours a week with a wife and baby to support. But, I have been able to upgrade my skill set and reengineer my vocation with two additional undergraduate degrees and a graduate degree.

I have been blessed to live in a country which, as much as may be criticized, allows a person with a product, service or talent to become an entrepreneur and start his own business. Perhaps of even greater importance is the fact that I, as an individual, can participate in the ownership of nearly all of the corporations doing business in the world.

I live under a system of government that despite what I consider egregious taxation and spending in its futile attempt to redistribute wealth and engineer the human condition does so with minimal direct interference in my business and personal life. I have been rich and I have been poor and have lived through good times and bad times.

Somehow, the American people manage to get through all of these ups and downs. I just want to go on the record as being damned grateful to be here. How about you?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dick: You aren't going to vote for Hillary, are you?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am damn lucky, but to say that those conditions are exclusive to America is myopic.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dick

YOu rock...Thank you for saying what I think on a regular basis......

Christina

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    For-Life – Since I am not now nor have never been a Canadian (grandparents moved to Massachusetts from Moncton, NB in 1909) I hesitate to comment on anything related to Canadian economics or politics. However, please feel free to express your love for your beautiful country.

Occupation
    The problem with the economy today is pretty simple: we have regressed to a state last seen in the twenties, if you look at the chasm between the very, very few very, very wealthy and the rest of the population. This is particularly disturbing as one would expect (hope) that the increased productivity of the last years would have "lifted all boats". It hasn't. Same trend is reflected in the astonishing increase in corporate profits versus flat and regressing wages.

Not to worry, this too will pass. Forget Iraq, this situation has the potential to send the Republican party back to long term minority status. W has that Herbert Hoover stench about him already.

So it's all well and good to whistle past the graveyard--USA! USA! Doesn't really alter anything.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper We just want too much.

Don't be silly CHM: In the twenties(Actually from 1929-1938) people were haveing whatever ran across the yard for dinner. Living on the railroad lines for whatever fell off the trains. Fishing with a hand line.
    Today we suffer with three big screen color TV's , Two+ Cars, a four wheeler, a Jet ski, one truck, a house large enough to hold guests for the week, eaat at least 5 meals a week away from the house, have air conditioning, insurance, etc. We get buryied in a $10,00 ceremony, instead of a pine box and call it a necessary expense.
    Everyone but the wet backs are suffering from too much prosperity on the backs of thier credit cards instead of accumulated income. Our problen is the definition of "what we need."

As to the Oil we are just suffering from what the do-gooders feel is bad for the environment. We need to drill and pump and refine here.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think CHM was talking about the period BEFORE the Great Depression...the Roaring Twenties. And she makes a point!

Occupation
    Chip, you're talking about another issue I think. The issue here is the idea that the US standard of living and by extension our economy is beyond reproach.

Times change and I agree not always for the better--but look on the bright side, opportunities for racial slurs still abound (Mexicans, blacks, whatever....) and if you are still nursing a taste for roadkill, well, we have lots more roads. ;)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I think CHM was talking about the period BEFORE the Great Depression...the Roaring Twenties. And she makes a point!
    Correct as always Ms Judy!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    ...wet backs...
    OMG!!! :finger:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I grew up in Texas and those that swims de river, is wet~backs no matter what political correctness would change it to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Political correctness has nothing to do with it. It's insulting regardless of which group uses a perjorative phrase or word to disparage another. Surely we have evolved beyond such thinking.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Like Hel* !

It is not insulting it is accurate. I have Mexican friends who live in Mexico, I have some that are here on ligitamite visas, they are Mexicans.
    I have people of Mexican decent born in this country, they are Americans.
    I have a Mexican sister-in-law who is an naturalized citizen, she is an American. Those who are American Citizens are americans, they are not: Mexican-Americans, they are not Black Americans, they are not African-Americans, they are just Americans.
    Those who "swim de river at night" and come into this country illegally are wet~backs, this does not refer to their ancestry it refers to those who participate in illegal behavior and are thereby criminals and invaders of our homeland.

Like it or not there it is,

Chip

You liberals (Progessives?) have evolved, us rednecks still see good and bad for what it is.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 06-25-2007 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Evolution

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    It is not insulting it is accurate.
    First of all, I would let those being called "wetback" decide whether or not the term is insulting. I'm relatively certain that they find it so. Secondly, given that nearly 50% of the "unauthorized migrant population" entered the country legally and subsequently overstayed their visas, the term "wetback" is not accurate to describe them.
    Last edited by 1968; 06-25-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Replying more directly to remove the appearance of impropriety.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why must we call anybody anything? Regardless of citizenship, we're all human beings.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Time for a nice pill

People are people and don't need to be called anything but people. Degrading name calling needs to stop on this board.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Simmer Down Now!

It seems like things are getting a bit heated in here.

I say we all chill out.

Grab a libation of your choice folks...this rounds on me!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Awe! And I was haveing so much fun baiting the progressively evolved!

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
    First of all, I would let those being called "wetback" decide whether or not the term is insulting. I'm relatively certain that they find it so. Secondly, given that nearly 50% of the "unauthorized migrant population" entered the country legally and subsequently overstayed their visas, the term "wetback" is not accurate to describe them.
    Call a thief a thief and you will never see one more insulted, unless you call a liar a liar.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Call a thief a thief and you will never see one more insulted, unless you call a liar a liar.
    ...or a bigot a "bigot.".

Thread Information